15 - Area of effect

Seokjin seems embarrassed, she dares not look at her son's friend anymore. She has taken back her hand and is bashfully playing with it. Yoongi is staring straight at her, as if he were paralysed – did she really try to kiss him?

"I'm so sorry, Yoongi, I–" Mrs Kim shyly looks up. "I just felt really good talking to you. It's been a long time since anybody made me feel as if I actually meant something..." She then shakes her head and bites her lips, "This was irresponsible."

Yoongi finally seems to wake up from his shock, and frowns at her. He can sense she is about to start crying again, and it breaks his heart to see her like this.

The young boy subsides a little, and leans towards her, brushing against her quivering lips with his. As Seokjin starts, Yoongi deepens the kiss, reaching for her short hair to grasp it. Mrs Kim gets lost in his touch and desperately kisses back.

Yoongi does not think about how wrong this is. About Taehyung being a few rooms away. About how much older she is. About how he swore he would never engage in a relationship because he would only be a poor, troublesome burden to his love interest. And yet he is kissing Mrs Kim on her bed, he is pressing his tongue against her lips to make them open and kiss her even deeper.

But Taehyung's mother gently pushes him back, and whispers against his mouth, "Yoongi, I'm not sure we're supposed to..."

He catches her gaze and moves backwards to answer, "Why? Because you're my friend's mother?" As she does not reply, but only sighs, he goes on, "Taehyung has nothing to do with this. This is not about him."

"I'm not talking about Tae." Her tone has got a lot colder. She is absent-mindedly scratching the bedsheets, trying to calm down. "You do realise that I'm a married woman, right?"

"Well, Mr Kim's not there. And he doesn't have to know—"

"Oh, doesn't he?" Mrs Kim mumbles. "But he will. He always ends up knowing everything. And you know that Namjoon would kill both you and I for this. He is not the forgiving type."

Yoongi carelessly shrugs. "Anyway, this doesn't have to mean anything, does it? You were just sad, and I was there. I won't bother you anymore."

He tries to get up, but she holds him down. "No, it does mean something. And this scares me. I don't want to become the kind of lonely housewife that cheats on her husband the first chance she gets. I love Namjoon."

"Yeah? Then why did you try to kiss me?"

Seokjin closes her eyes for a moment, and replies harshly, "I shouldn't have done that. We shouldn't do this." She points at Yoongi and adds, "This is a mistake. A very bad mistake."

The student in front of her does not seem disturbed. He only shrugs once more, and rises, saying as he leaves the bedroom, "It's up to you, ma'am."