Chapter 29

Vixen's Mom and Dad

Adonis

I quickly picked up my phone and pressed Vixen's contact. She picked up the first ring.

"Adonis? How did it go?" she asked.

"Vixen I'm so sorry, I'm sorry God I messed this up for you. He didn't buy my story at all. He knows that you planned this all out." I quickly ushered out. I heard Vixens deep intake of breath, I could tell she was trying to calm herself down.

"Adonis calm down. I'm sure you tried your best. Now, what did he say why do you say that he knows."

"He didn't buy my story at all. He also noticed a painting in your office and he knows that you're the only one to own it. He also told me that he wants to talk to you soon." I hear her softly curse over the line.

She didn't say anything for a while and all I could hear was her soft breathing. I grew more worried every passing minute.

"Okay, I need both you and Marco back here. Make sure nobody is trailing you guys." with that being said she cuts off the line.

Marco and I waste no time getting onto the elevator. I inform Marco about what happened and he looked pretty uneasy about it.

We head our separate ways to our cars and just as Vixen suggested, I made sure that nobody was trailing us.

A couple of minutes later we arrive in James's house to be met by a slightly panicked looking James.

"Thank god you're finally here Vixen has been worrying that he might've trailed you guys." he invites us inside where we see Vixen.

As soon as she sees us she gets up and pulls both Marco and me in for a hug. She visibly relaxes while she hugs us. Marco and I on the other hand visibly tense at the sudden contact.

"Thank god you guys are alright. I was so worried. I thought... I thought that maybe.."

"Hey Vixen look at me. We're here now aren't we? Just calm down and we'll talk about all of this." Marco reassured Vixen as he pulled her into a hug, stroking her back in a calming manner. It did spark jealousy within me but I knew that Vixen needed someone to calm down her nerves, I just wish that that person was me.

I wasn't used to seeing Vixen so broken. She always held this calm and powerful aura with her and she carried herself with confidence, so seeing her breaking down also made something in my heartache for her. If she's willing to break down this much in front of us then that must mean that whoever we're up against isn't just anybody.

That man probably caused so much pain for Vixen to react this heavily towards him. Just the thought of someone inflicting any type of pain towards Vixen made my blood boil to dangerous levels. I calmed myself down before my anger got out of hand.

After Vixen seemed to have calmed down we sat in the living room and waited for an explanation.

"I knew he would find me but I didn't think it would be this fast. I guess I owe it to you guys to let you know why I don't want to meet this man so bad." the way she sounded so broken made me feel a pang in my heart. I hated seeing her so distressed.

"When I was a kid, everything was normal and we had a great family. James and I lived next to each other and we'd constantly see each other to play. I didn't know that every time I went over to his house that I was leaving my mom in the hands of a monster. Every time I came home I noticed that my mother would always be busy or just went to go do an errand, I didn't know that she was hiding her bruised face from me. My father acted as if nothing happened and would act like the best father so I would forget about her and slowly I did. Slowly my mother and I's relationship deteriorated because she never wanted me around her. God how stupid and naive I was. This whole time my mother was secretly working on Queen Corp. She wanted to get away from all the abuse and take me with her to run away but she knew that if we ran away that all of our financial support would be cut off. She had rented a small run-down apartment with the little money she's made that she would go to when my father would send her off after he beat her up so that I wouldn't see her. That whole time she was building this empire that we know of today from the ground up."

"My mother had her master's degree in business and was top of her class but after she married my dad she was prohibited to work. My dad knew of my mother's potential and it hurt his little ego so that's why he slowly started abusing her. He was mad that he couldn't be the man of the house. I remember him trying several times to start up his own company and he always seemed to fail and every time he failed he used my mom as a punching bag. Slowly Queen Corp. started getting recognition after my mother's hard work. Over the years she became busier and busier. This one particular night I couldn't get sleep to overcome me so I went downstairs to go get a drink when I heard whimpering. I went over to check out what it was and there stood my father with his hand around my mother's neck. He was facing his back towards me so he didn't see me. I looked into my mother's eyes and she looked like she was so used to this. Then as if the puzzle quickly aligned themselves for me everything finally made sense. The reason why my mother wasn't home, the reason she's been avoiding me wasn't that she hated me but because she didn't want me to see her in this state."

"My mother finally had enough money so that we could run away, but it was too late. My father choked her to death. I did nothing but watch. I'm so useless, I watched my own mother die right in front of me and I didn't even scream for help. I just stared at her lifeless body. I went back up to my room and started packing my stuff. I couldn't be in that house anymore, the man that I thought could do no harm just killed my mother. That night, while I was packing, it's as if my mother knew she was gonna die soon. There deep in my closet was all the assets of the company named after me. There was also some cash their for me. There was a handwritten letter telling me where to go and what to do. I was terrified, I was only 15, it was too much for a 15-year-old girl to handle. That night I went to the address it told me with nothing but a backpack with some of my most prized possessions in it. That night I arrived at my mother's secret apartment and James was there waiting for me. He was barely an adult himself but he was put into such a situation to take care of me." she looked over at James who also looked like he was about to break down.

I didn't have any words, I don't know how to respond to everything I just heard. It made me feel all different types of emotion mostly anger and appreciation. I was angry because Vixen had to go through all that at such a young age yet she still turned out to be this powerful and wonderful woman. I was appreciative of the life I live. Hearing her story makes me realize how lucky I am to have the life that I do. It'll definitely make me think twice before complaining about my life.

" I...I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know my sorry is not gonna make a difference but I truly just want you to know that you will never have to go through that again. I'll make sure if it." I meant every word I said. After hearing what she's been through I'm gonna do anything in my power to make sure she won't go through hardship ever again.

Everyone in the room seemed pretty taken aback by the certainty and sincerity in my voice. There was a look on Vixens' face that I couldn't quite decipher but I know that I liked her looking at me like that.