Chapter 35

Vixen

After pointlessly looking around the house, a large oak door caught my interest.

I quietly entered inside and slowly closed the door behind me. It was his office.

At first, I had no interest in seeing what business he does in here but I caught a glimpse of medical papers which piqued my curiosity.

I picked up one of the many sheets of paper in the messy pile. I read it over and over again trying to comprehend the words on the paper.

Alton Mcknight is hereby declared terminally ill with Pulmonary Heart Disease and has an estimated 6 months to live. We suggest that he be surrounded by family and loved ones during his short amount of time to live. The patient has refused any treatment and will be experiencing heart failure in the coming months. We at River View hospital share our dearest condolences to his family and friends.

Dr. Charles Smith

I dropped the paper as if it scorched my hands. I know I shouldn't have cared I know anyone in my situation should've been somewhat glad or feel happy but I couldn't find myself to find any ounce of joy.

Is this why he decided to be more adamant about finding me? I'm not dumb I know that he could've found me much earlier than this. My question was always just why? And now I have my answer.

I know I should've felt elated but deep down I couldn't make myself feel happy or feel even a hint of joy about this. Even after all he did, he is still my biological father and he's the only blood family I have left.

I was so torn about what to feel about this.

"Vixen?"

I jolted up as I saw Natasha looking at me suspiciously. I quickly stood in front of all the papers in case she didn't know about it either.

"Oh, sweetie you don't have to cover those up. I already know about the illness."

"If you know about the illness then why are you still marrying him. He's gonna die in a couple of months yet you're pushing through with this wedding."

"I really thought you were smarter than that Vixen. Isn't it obvious? I'm not marrying him, I'm marrying his inheritance. After my husband and I found out about his illness I quickly worked my charm on the old man and now we're just months away from becoming millionaires. Now if you want any of that money left for yourself then I suggest you keep quiet and let the pros do the work." she looked me up and down one last time before making an exit.

I can't believe she'd be dumb enough to basically just tell me her whole plan.

I made my way out of the office as I tried to find the devil himself.

After what was seemingly just me making circles around the house, I finally found him in a library, looking at our old family photos.

It was a picture of him holding me as a newborn. He looked so happy.

"Oh, Vixen I didn't see you there. What could I do for you."

"I'll stay, I'll stay for the wedding, willingly. I could've been out of here in a couple of minutes but I'll stay. Speaking of that, there's gonna be people coming here in a couple of minutes so they're gonna need a place to stay."