Book 1: Spring Festival

It was the early morning of Chaitra month. The trees have shed their old leaves welcoming new bright colored leaves. They were moving in sinuous with the breeze. The sky was painted with a melange of red and orange. The chimes from bells of the temple just began to announce the commencement of the day.

The river Kaveri was chill at that moment. Kulasekaran descended into the river by the steps of bathing ghat and gone swimming a little distance.

The current was quite strong and he could not manage the velocity of it. He began to fumble in swimming and was drawn towards another ghat little far from where he started. He stumped against another person. Kulasekaran managed to float in that water. Just a little far from his place he could see a tiny whirlpool. Suddenly he began to lose control but a cool hand grabbed his arm firmly. Within some time, the water became stable. He turned to thank the person who saved him from drowning. He turned and found a face.

Kulasekaran looked at that moist face with flowing hair and shining eyes.

"Aren't you Vasanthika the temple dancer?" He paused,"I never knew you could swim".

Vasanthika smiled. Her face looked resplendent in that morning rays.  She splashed some water on her face. Mopping her face briskly.

"Had you known before that I am in the river, I wager you would never come anywhere nearer the water."

"Why would you say that?"

Kulasekaran tried to talk as he was swimming,  his breath wearied and tone became uneven.

Vasanthika looked at him
"Because you are a prudish man."

Kulasekaran became confused by the tone and implications in her casual remark. She had used familiar singular in calling him a dry custom bound man.

" why you say so Vasanthika? "

" Since you have never ventured near the temple  whenever I dance before the Lord, I took it that you were an orthodox man."

"You got it all wrong. I was attending an important work. Moreover, I do not have any appetite for fine arts." He tried to explain hurriedly.

" This is what I call as real untouchability Sir. We also serve the Lord as any devotee would do. We sing, dance and more than that we also treat sick in the temple. Isn't it a greater service. "

Kulasekaran looked at her with awe."Yes, it is." He stammered at those eyes looking at him quite intensely.

"The problem is most of the people respect us. But there are some who try to malign our purpose." She spoke a little harshly.

He couldn't reply a word. Vasanthika swam swiftly away like a fish without answering. 

Kulasekaran looked at the direction.

"Hey, but why did you say me prudish. "

Vasanthika now reached the steps. She climbed the steps, turned back to see Kulasekaran for a second.  She gave a sigh.

"It's because of you Amsavalli is upset. She contemplated even suicide. Thank your stars. She did not die."She let an exasperated sigh. She made a move.

Kulasekaran was stupified. He could not make head or tail.