Senthan Amudan

River Kaveri was flowing at its full force. The recent rains in the region made the river more vigorous capable of sweeping any thing coming in its path. The smaller boats anchored in the banks were struggling to withstand its force. Either bank of the river was fanned by thick trees of mango, jackfruit, and coconuts dancing to the tunes of the breeze. The birds were humming the tunes on those trees.

Kulasekaran came towards the boat stationed near the river along with his mother Vanamadevi. She fell suddenly very ill after visiting Madurai. He was holding her hands tightly to prevent her from falling in the slippery mud. He approached the boat and asked for a ride. The boatman was reluctant for the ride citing the river is unfavorable to cross. Kulasekaran adamantly asked for the boatman for a ride. Seeing his urgency and the elderly woman, the boatman agreed.

The man helped Vanamadevi to get inside the boat. Once she seated, Kulasekaran took boarded the boat. The boatman pushed the boat. The boat danced for a few minutes but the able boatman manipulated the oars to stabilize the boat.

On the other side of the river, A couple of men came towards the ghat of the river with bundle of clothes above their heads. Slowly meandering towards the rocks for washing the clothes. They were bantering among themselves.

"Amudan, today the day is so good." one of them looking at the tall man who was standing near him.

"Yes, it is," Amudan looked at the tall tower of the temple from the bank. His face gave a smile.

"Looking at the temple from the banks of the river is a divine experience Kurala." Saying so Amudan began to open his bundle of clothes. He touched the clothes with reverence. Amudan closed his eyes chanted few silent prayers. He opened his eyes with his hands above his head and looked at the direction of the tower. "Long live Lord of Srirangam."

Amudan took the cloth from the bundle. It was a silken robe stitched with golden thread. There were symbols of Conch and wheel indicating it belonging to Lord. Amudan carefully immersed the cloth in the cool waters of Kaveri. He began to swish them in the water allowing them to absorb the water. A few minutes later,he took the cloth and gave a gentle squeeze. The water began to drip from the clothes. His eyes began to wide in happiness. Amudan collected the water in his right palm and drank the contents.

" Nothing gives me more happiness than drinking this water," Amudan explained to Kuralan who looked at him with bewilderment.

"The water is delicious and I swear even the elixir of Devaloka would not stand by its side." Amudan declared fervently. The gongs from the temple bell came flowing in that morning.

"See, Lord has accepted your words Amudan." Kuralan could see happiness in the face of his friend's eyes. Seeing his dark small eyes expanding in happiness is the best thing in the world Kuralan thought. Not only eyes, but Amudan was also blessed with a face brimming with the innocence of a child. The mark of vermilion on his dark skin makes his face aglow.

"Aggh," came a sound from the river. Amudan and Kuralan stopped their work turning their heads towards the direction. A boat carrying a couple of passengers toppled near the middle of river. While the boatman managed to hold the river. The lady was unable to withstand the power of the river. She fell inside the river.

"Amma," shouted Kulasekaran and rushed towards her after plunging into the swirls of the river.

"Kulasekara, do not come here. " Vanamadevi shouted. Heeding no attention to his mother's voice he swam towards her.

"It is our Kulasekaran," exclaimed Amudan.

"Kurala, an accident." Amudan eyes began to scan the surroundings for possible help. Luckily there was a thick creeper.

"Kurala, take the creeper and throw it towards the river once I wave my hands." Saying so he jumped inside the river.

Seeing the plight, Amudan swiftly swam across the river. The currents were too strong. The resistance from the water was huge for him to break. He grabbed the hands of his mother, but he cannot move further. Suddenly came a helping hand. It was Amudan. He jumped inside the river the moment he saw the accident.

An arid swimmer, he broke the force of the river. Kuralan too joined the rescue mission by throwing the creeper towards them. Amudan belligerently took the end of the creeper. After a few more moments of struggle, the passengers were rescued. The lady fell unconsciously.Looking at her condition, Amudan began to attend her.

Seeing the efforts were not responding,he asked "Sir,there is no much time left, can you please bring the doctor from the Adurar salai?"

Kulasekaran looked at his mother's pale face. "Do not worry about her, we will take care of her!" assured Amudan. Without wasting any more time, Kulasekaran ran as fastly as he could towards the city of Srirangam.

He crossed the first wall of the city. Soon he reached the town. There was a chariot standing gallantly across the street. His eyes glanced sideways. Each and every house of the town was decorated with vibrant rangoli before the main door flanked by the stalks of the banyan on both sides.

He could hear the chanting from the temple coupled with the juggles of flute and drums. Without thinking much he turned the street hurriedly. He dashed on a group of people standing in the turning.

"Amma," he could hear a shriek of a woman.Also there was a thud of some musical instruments falling in the ground. The sounds gave him a halt. He turned back to see the mess he created all the way while running. Kulasekaran eyes stopped. He could see a envisage of a lovely damsel with eyes like that of a fish standing with her hands placed on her hips. She gave a questioning look on her face.She came a few steps forward towards Kualsekaran with a question in her look. It was Vasanthika.

"Are you in need of any help sir?" Vasanthika was very polite.

"I am looking for a physician. My mother is having trouble breathing."

"Sir, I am a Devadasi. We are created by Lord to nurse the sick one too."

"Yes sir, please take Vasanthika.I shall also come." It was Madura.

"Madura," with a tint of surprise.

"It has been so many days sir. But you have not visited me to enquire. Have you forgotten me?"  chided Madura.

Kulasekaran looked at Vasanthika instinctively. She cast a glance of anger.

" I was visiting some temples in Madurai," replied Kulasekaran with his eyes fixed in Vasanthika. As though he was interested in knowing her opinion. Madura looked curiously at both their faces. But her shrewd mind caught something is brewing between them.

Vasanthika and many of her counterparts were trained as a nurse to cater to the needs of sick in those days. Their skills in medicine were so deep, they can also attend labor. Many in those days prefer to get treated by Devadasis for their spiritual connection with the Lord. Soon Vasanthika ran to the banks of the river to attend his mother.