Deal

"How dare you?" raising her hand Ammanagavalli to lash the delicate face of Vasanthika. " mother, Is it a sin to think about getting married?""What come again? getting married?" laughed Ammanagavalli creating a raucous shriek vibrating across the dimly lit room."Marriage my foot" she paused" Devadasis do not marry my dear sweet daughter. That too a lad living a life little better than rags. Ridiculous. Simply incredible. How brazen he is. " She clapped her hand raising above her head. Ammanagavalli was looking like a witch with her face drawing an awkward smile. The smile was full of contempt and mockery for the love which Vasanthika and Kulasekaran share.

" You have to escort wealthy ministers or at most a merchant who owns at least 2 ships. Not less than that." Ammanagavalli brought her eyebrows together with face showing a blatant display of greed." I don't want to be a mistress!" squarely cut Vasanthika.

"I want to marry a man who can treat me with dignity and respect. Who can allow me to follow my passion, that is dance! For that, he does not need to have a mansion or a ship or whatever you think is precious" pointing her finger towards her mother. She looked at her long slender delicate finger. It was sparkling with the radiance of her diamond ring. Her mother bought it for her birthday after she attained puberty. She took that ring from the finger moved it close to her eyes. The diamond was resplendent in its all glory.

"A heart full of love and admiration. " Vasanthika said with her mouth making a small smile.Ammanagavalli looked at her daughter wondering what to do next. Vasanthika threw the ring flat across the room. She flounced through the room only to stop at the door. Turning her head"There it goes. So does your aspirations of making me a mistress."

Vasanthika angrily brushed her long plaited hair to her back as she walked out of the room. In the silence of the night, her treading steps were very clear"You fool!" shouted Ammanagavalli, "Devadasis cannot marry. Even if she does, the Lord will not keep you happy."Vasanthika stopped for a minute. She knew her mother was right this time. Devadasis are already married. Lord will not spare her if she decides to beat the law. Is Lord a tyrant? Isn't he made her and makes to dance like a puppet. For that matter, all are truly puppets in his hands. After all, he is the master. Won't he realize her mind and purity of her thought? "Never, Lord will never act against her wishes. He will truly bless her." Vasanthika reassured her. But somewhere down the heart, she was slightly disturbed by her mother's strict warning.

                                                                                        *****

Ammanagavalli alternatively looked at Nagalingam and Madura." You are a pimp Nagalingam. A third rate pimp. You have bought a proposal of marriage that to a retired Devadasi. What a pity! In Kalyug pimp bring marriage proposals ", Ammanagavalli gave a deep bass guffaw." Madura, be careful. He will sell your beautiful body to a wealthy leecher."" To sell Madura, there is no one in this world my dear Ammanagavalli."Ammanagavalli looked at Madura. Yes, she was correct. This fiesty girl is not a village cow. She will go to any limit to make her dream a reality. "I want to marry Kulasekaran.""What? that lad. Oh my my. What exactly wrong with you? What have you seen in him?"" Ammanagavalli," Madura cocked her head beautifully," You cannot understand forget it. There is something greater than worldly comforts and desires. Try to know them." Whatever? That I don't give a damn. Just say me straight. What you exactly want?"" I want your daughter to stay away from him?"" Try your luck, Madura. I have to admit my girl is equally stubborn like you.""No if you act according to my plan", Madura spoke softly."Why should I heed to you? Look Madura. I am twice as old and smart as you. Get lost. I don't need your stupid plan. I know how to steer my daughter ok.""Well, if that the case," Nagalingam broke in as Madura gestured him to speak. " Forget Hosyala Rajya nartaki post. "

"Hey hey what are you talking about?" enquired Ammanagavlli urgently.

"King Vallaladeva desperately needs a maiden of Padmini group to beget a son. That son would be the crown prince. For that, thank your stars Ammanagavalli, he believes Vasanthika to be that girl who can make his barren life fertile.

"What" Ammangavalli had the biggest jerk of her life." So, if you can make Vasanthika meet the King once. He gets the son and your daughter gets the respect and wealth as well as the most prestigious Rajanartaki post. You can leave this place and settled well in Dwarasamudra. And enjoy the life of luxury."

" Kulasekaran becomes mine," said Madura with a twinkle in her eyes."How can any man love a woman who is used by others? he will not bat his eye. He will hate Vasanthika for betrayal." And Kulasekaran will marry Madura to make Vasanthika jealous. A sort of revenge."

"Now say me is it a deal?"

"No a greatest deal." chuckled Ammanagavalli