Festival of Kaveri

Galloping in a tired horse, Chidambaram got very irritated. He is the chief minister of a small province under the flagship of Pandya during the times of erstwhile Pandya king. Now the kingdom is at stake as two princes are at loggerheads. One is the illegitimate son of King VeeraPandya and another crown prince Sundarapandya. Due to Chidambaram's affinity with Veerapandya, he was chucked out by the crown prince. Veera Pandya is fuming with anger. He is lusty for the kingdom. Now he is in hiding. The spies are working for Veerapandya because he was wiser and efficient than the crown prince who is not very keen except for the pleasures and comfort his kingdom would fetch.

" Can you say me one valid reason for standing here Nagalingam?" demanded Chidambaram." Sir, patience is the key. See many beautiful girls are coming here. We can pick a few for our king."Hold your tongue. Our VeeraPandya is not a womanizer like the crown prince."Your highness, we will pick nubile girls and train them in erotic arts."

Chidambaram's patience reached all its limits."Stop being insensitive. Do you think I will become a pimp for that coward? Rather I would die.

"No No my lord. We would make them vishkanya!" VishKanya?" Chidambaram looked at Nagalingam with some admixture of impatience and ridicule." Yes, we would pick beautiful girls who are destined to be widowed. We would inject a few doses of the poison-tiny winy bit every Amavasya. In a couple of years, a single kiss from them would kill any living thing."

 Our king would not hide behind a woman to kill the crown prince. Whatever may be the case, the kingdom would go to Veera. Believe me, that is what predictions point."They walked a few steps. There he could see a group of dancing girls of the temple playing in the water. Nagalingam looked at them," what is a joke I am seeing here? Devadasis are standing here at the occasion of Adi. They cannot get married in this lifetime!"

Chidambaram scanned at the damsels. There were many sitting near the banks playing joyfully with each other. Each one of them exquisitely decorated with flowers and silks displaying their affluence earned through their dancing skills. His eyes cached one of the most beautiful girls. It was Vasanthika. His eyes narrowed and stunned with the similarity of Vasanthika and another known face. "Sir, please stay away from that girl?" Undoubtedly it was Nagalingam who took the opportunity to warn the consequences of meddling with Vasanthika. Chidambaram slowly moved away from the place.

On the other side of the bank,Hemalekha flanked by her friends visited the banks of Kaveri on the auspicious day of Adi Perukku. The particular day is very important as the river flows full up to its brink washing away the banks on either side. On this day, the girls would visit the river to seek her blessing to enter the marital relationship with the person of their choice.

There were myriad of girls with their long hair tied with various colorful flowers carrying the plates to worship the Goddess Kaveri."I have never seen blooms that appeared to kiss the sky so boldly as those scarlet tulips." spoke casually Hemalekha."Hemu, suddenly this kind of metaphor," asked one of her lovely friends."It is a sloka of Baravi idiot Malini," retorted others."Baravi is a gifted scholar my dear Malini and Prabha. Can any one of you say why?"I know, I know" hurried Prabha," because his poetry is characterized by its intricate styles and ethereal expressions"."True True," acknowledged Hemalekha. The gang slowly reached the banks of the river. They glided down the stairs majestically."Hemalekha, Are you hiding anything from us?" chided Malini. Knowing the intentions behind her words, Hemalekha kept quiet. A dew of saffron appeared on her fair cheeks. Unable to hush her upraising emotions." Sometimes it is better to be unsaid. I cannot speak anything at all."She plunged herself in the waters keeping her hands above the water level. When she turned around she saw Kulasekaran coming towards the river with his friend Kuralan. Hemalekha looked at him coyly. She suddenly began to run. Within a few seconds, her feet slipped and Kulasekaran held her by arms. "Keep the hands firmer dear sir. You have to hold it for life," remarked Kuralan. There was a joyous mood everywhere expect on the face of Sitadevi-mother of Hemalekha. She was waiting for her daughter on the other end of the ghat. Searching for her, she happened to see the rarest sight of her daughter with Kulasekaran.