Sundarabahu

The night was delicious with a perfect breeze to soothe people after a long day with scorching heat. The star dazzled through the sky as though some careless fairy dropped her diamonds on the way to meet her lover. The trees were swinging in tune with those romantic breezes. The moon now came just above the western horizon.

In the far distant place in the fort, sat Sundarabahu. He was a well-built man aged around 50 with a very well built athletic body worthy of a warrior. He had a sharp nose accentuated with a razor-sharp vision to accomplish his goals as a chief security officer of the temple city.
"Ding dang Ding Dang", the sound of big bronze temple bell waffled through the misty air. He for a moment observed the chimes of the temple bell. He loved the tune ever since he was a small kid.

The memories fell all around him engulfing to far distant past. How he used to walk along the street to meet his mother. When he was in the cusp of adulthood to man, he used to take the temple bell as a cue to meet his ladylove Neela. During the marriage, those bells were a testimony to their mutual love. Now happily married, with three children, the bell has not failed to fascinate him. He could feel many years younger.

With those thoughts, he ate the meals Neela packed for him for dinner. Sundarbahu thought of supervising the fort for the night. He climbed down taking the side door stairs. He could see young Kulasekaran speaking to the group of soldiers
" hmm, hurry up," Kulasekaran dispatched men to guard for night shift after commanding them necessary actions for every eventuality. Seeing Sundarabahu standing at the corner, Kulasekaran offered his respect.
"Impressed," said Sundarabahu
"Thank you, sir".
"Why don't you come along with me to view the Dakshina dwara patha?"
In no time, they reached the southern gate. They could see the tall towers of the temple. Sundarabahu let out a sigh. Pointing his index finger towards the temple," What do you see their KUlasekaran?"
" Temple sir."
"Whose temple?"
Kulasekaran was taken aback by the dumbest question from his superior. Of course, any child would know that it belongs to Ranganatha. Trying to hide his surprise," Ranganathan sir".
" The blue lord !" exclaimed Sundarabahu.
"Can you describe what you see in Lord Kulasekara?"
Kulasekaran now understood, the question was originally aimed to test his knowledge. He tried to explain to assert his religious prowess.
"The Lord of lords, infallible one, cause of all causes, who rules the senses without getting attached to those arising from the senses, whose feet cannot be reached by Devas glorified by all Alwar saints, the essence of Vedas creator of universe and mankind."

When Kulasekaran finished he could see Sundarbahu listening in closed eyes.
"Impressive Kulasekaran. You are a perfect devotee no doubt, but as a warrior, I expected another answer."
He paused, folded his hands together in an Anjali pose," The Lord is the legacy of our culture. An asset that is to be passed to future generations without any harm. Have you thought about it?"
"I do sir."
"Tomorrow we have to meet Panchundan sir for a discussion after his visit from Pandyas."
At that time, a sweet voice broke their conversation. Kulasekaran's heart skipped a beat. He turned his face and could see a lovely figure of Vasanthika to be standing here. She saw him standing there exposing his chest partially uncovered due to the breeze. A small naughty smile escaped through those lips. A naughtiness crawled across her face. Kulasekaran blushed. He tried to look at some other place, eyes had other plans. His eyes caught hers. All this happened within a few moments. Sundarabahu noticed this.
" A moment please sweetling," Sundarabahu looked at both of them."Why don't you wait for us in the meeting room? We will be back in a few minutes. Apologies, it will take some time for my innocent boy to revive himself. Do not mistake this old man for the delay." Kulasekaran feigned a cough. Seeing his cough, Vasanthika tried to reach the water pot without thinking about Sundarabahu.
Later she stopped herself forcibly. After a glance, she left the place.
Sundarabahu looked at Kulasekaran once she was gone. Patted his shoulders affectionately.
"If I were you, I would have made her myself." Seeing a blank expression," Neela was a devadasi too in Dwarasamudra. I married her after bracing many odds. And this is a little secret between you and me."
A ray of hope came before Kulasekatran.