Chapter 5

Date: November 30th 2017

Time: 20:03

Location: Seoul, South Korea

Perspective: Y/N

The odds seemed astronomical - stumbling upon a young woman in a desolate alleyway, only to realize later that she was a K-Pop sensation, I almost couldn't believe it. And for me, that's saying something. As I replayed the chance encounter in my mind, a nagging question surfaced: why had she been alone and unguarded? Surely someone like her would never go out in public without a group of bodyguards to ensure her safety. The more I pondered, the more perplexed I became. Clearly, there was more to this girl than met the eye.

I made my way to the backside of the building where I found a mob of fans pushing up against makeshift barricade walls, desperate for even a glimpse of one of the K-Pop idols. The only thing standing between them and their beloved stars were four imposing security personnel. Determined to make my way to the front, I muscled my way through the crowd until I stood face-to-face with one of the guards.

I calmly explained that Tzuyu had texted me to meet her here, but as soon as the words left my mouth, I realized how stupid I must have sounded. The guard's expression hardened, and he informed me that no one was allowed into the backlot, shoving me back into the surging crowd without a second thought.

I'm not getting anywhere with this. Calling Tzuyu was no use - her phone went straight to voicemail. It was clear that she wasn't going to come to me; the frenzied crowd might literally go berserk. I needed to find a different way in. I walked down the street and slipped into a nearby alleyway. One of the buildings caught my eye; a drainage pipe led up to the roof. After a quick assessment, I decided it looked sturdy enough to hold my weight and began my ascent.

Reaching the roof, I took cover and scanned the backlot below. I noticed a couple of black SUVs parked just nearby below, and further away - near the back entrance of the club - a colossal storage truck was being loaded up... right next to a group of nine girls, among them Tzuyu. That's where I needed to be. It was imperative that I find a way down there without getting caught by security or the mob of fans.

I quickly realized that the best spot to land would be on top of one of the SUVs. Though I was no more than three stories high, I knew that my body could easily withstand the impact of the fall. Plus the barricade walls were tall enough that the crowd would hardly notice. It was the noise that was the most pressing matter. There was a guard nearby who would surely hear the impact. I needed to mask that to avoid any unwanted attention. Lucky for me, a toolbox laid within reach.Without hesitation, I snatched a spare wrench and hurled it at a wall facing away from the cars. The resulting noise masked the sound of my landing, allowing me to safely drop onto the roof of the SUV. Rolling off the vehicle, I quickly made my way towards the girls.

As I get closer to the group of girls, I start to remember some of them from the performance I saw earlier. One of the girls had short blonde hair, with eyes that seemed determined. A face that I was more than familiar with and had seen many times before in the agency. She gave off an aura of confidence. I believe her name was either Nayeon or Jeongyeon. I didn't pay much attention to the names when they first introduced themselves. Next to her stood a girl that fell much shorter, no more than five feet tall. But even from afar I could tell she was energetic, she had this sort of - infectious energy - her bouncing demeanor could easily lift the mood of anyone around her. I couldn't help but let out a small smile myself, succumbing to her cheerful aura.

As I was in the middle of examining the other girls' faces, trying to put names to them, I sensed a strong grip on my shoulder, yanking me backwards. Startled, I spun around to find myself facing a security guard who loomed over me, standing several inches taller. His gaze bore into me, mixed with a hint of perplexity and suspicion. It was clear that I stood out in this area, and not in a good way.