Chapter 22

Date: December 10th 2017

Time: 22:37

Location: Seoul, South Korea

Perspective: Y/N

After Chaeyoung walked out of my room I was left stunned once again, I shook it off though and decided not to tell anyone else about it... I guess we both had secrets to keep now.

The rest of the week was actually pretty normal. The next few days were when the girls had to film for their music video that was going to be put out on the 11th, and surprisingly there wasn't a single trace of the Yakuza. It made my job easy, but at the same time I knew that meant they were planning something bigger.

When the girls were at the dorm, my day, for the most part, consisted of cooking and cleaning for the girls, who were usually so exhausted already by the time they got back from filming. Occasionally I would help Chaeyoung with learning English, she's had a rough start with it but is slowly getting a hold on the basics.

We haven't spoken about the kiss, I figured I would talk to her about all of that after this music video was done.

Dahyun is still giving me the cold shoulder, and I don't have much time to convince her to not fire me. She told "the other me" that I had until December 12th to finish any personal stuff and accept the bodyguard position or she would go back to wandering the streets at night by herself. I'm still not sure how I'm going to convince her without revealing my secret, but I've definitely been in tougher spots than this.

Otherwise, the week has been pretty normal. Now I'm just cleaning the kitchen from the mess the girls made during dinner. They all went to sleep after watching a movie since they have to be at an event tomorrow celebrating the release of the "Heart Shaker" music video.

As I finish cleaning up, I hear the faint sound of someone breathing, it sounds like it's coming from the living room. I walk over and see Jihyo asleep on the couch, holding a stuffed animal.

I gently shake her and say "Jihyo?"

She opens her eyes and looks up at me "Oh Y/N I'm sorry" she sits up on the couch "I must've fallen asleep while I was helping everyone get ready for bed"

I smile and say "That's ok, is that plushie yours?"

"Oh... no, it's not" she responds "It's actually Dahyun's, she likes to sleep with this Charmander plushie sometimes"

She looks down and half smiles "Sometimes it's what makes her feel the happiest"

I put my hand on her shoulder and smile "Well, let's get both of you to bed then. Shall we?"

"Wait actually" she says before I get up "Can I talk to you about something real quick?"

"Of course" I respond "What's going on?"

"I've just been under a lot of stress lately" she says while her eyes start to get watery "I didn't want to tell any of the other girls this because I didn't want them to feel bad. But I feel like there's so much pressure for me to take care of them and be the leader of this group"

Jihyo looks up at me with her big brown eyes "Do you know what it's like to be a leader Y/N?"

Unfortunately, I do.

---------------------------------------------

Flashback

Date: April 22nd 2010

Time: 18:15

Location: The C.A.M.P.

Perspective: Y/N

Chief Campbell looks at his clipboard as he calls out the leaders for each squad. He looks to me and says "L/N you've been chosen as Golden Squad's leader"

He continues to read names for the rest of the squads.

Jamie and J walk up towards me. Jamie says "Congratulations, I really don't think they could've picked better"

J adds "Yeah, I mean it was either me or Jamie. God knows I couldn't do it and Jamie-"

J looks over and sees Jamie giving him the side eye "I'm gonna shut up now, congrats!" he says while patting me on the back

As we start to go back to our cabins, Counselor Nelson stops me and whispers to me "Good job kid. Now don't fuck it up"

Flashback end

-------------------------------------------------

I clench my fist as I think about him.

"Um... yeah I've had some experience with being a leader here and there" I respond back to Jihyo

"Then you know what it's like probably" she says to me "I'm always so worried that I'm not doing things right, or that I'm not good enough to lead these girls. If there's ever someone being distant or someone who is angry then I feel like I've failed"

Tears start to fall from her eyes.

"Sometimes, I don't even know how to solve all the problems that come my way, what kind of leader does that make me?"

I put one hand on her shoulder and use the other to pick her chin up and say "A real one"

Jihyo wipes away her tears.

I continue, saying "In a perfect world a leader would be somebody who just fixes everything with the snap of their fingers, and even if your fans think it, none of you girls are god. Not even you Jihyo"

She stops crying and looks at me so intently

"A leader can come in all shapes and sizes. A leader can be someone who helps somebody with an issue even if they don't know the answer, but they're still willing to do whatever they can. A leader can be someone who is there for others during times of stress and sadness, even if they can't provide a solution right away. A leader can be someone who stands up for their group, even if they know they're not strong enough. A leader can be someone who fails, but is also the only person who's willing to get back up and try as many times as it takes"

Jihyo looks at me for a few seconds and smiles while her lip quivers, then she rushes to hug me

I whisper "And the best part about being a leader, is that it means you have others who are there to help you"

"Thank you Y/N" she whispers back.

She pulls back and then kisses me on the cheek. I blush and see her giggle

"Come on" I said while smiling "Let's get you to bed"

As we get to her door, she stops and says "Wait, what about Dahyun's charmander?"

I took the plushie and said "Don't worry, I'll take care of it"

She smiles and go inside her room.

I walk towards Dahyun's room. I carefully go inside and see her, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu are all fast asleep. I see Dahyun sleeping in the bunk bed, with Chaeyoung on top and her on the bottom one.

I slowly move Dahyun's arm open to have room to hold the plushie. As soon as I place it inside her arms, she quickly latches onto it.

I see her smile. I feel like I haven't seen that in a long time.