Chapter 12

a/n: one of the things your character says is actually a reference to a superhero show. See if you can find it!

Date: December 2nd 2017

Time: 13:31

Location: Seoul, South Korea

Perspective: Y/N

Chaeyoung holds onto me tight. She seems to be a bit more calm now that we're alone again. It's clear that the guy and her had some history, some sort of ex-boyfriend if I had to guess. He reminded me of the usual types of celebrities I used to deal with. The ones who thought they were special merely because they were famous. The type of person who cared more about a persons' following than they did their personality. It's the type I had been so accustomed to that I seemingly forgot others outside of it existed when it came to celebrities. I look back down at Chaeyoung. Her whole body trembled uncontrollably, still shaken by the ordeal. Tears streaked down her face, yet despite that she fight to hold back even more.

I reach for a nearby tissue and hand it to her "Are you going to be ok?"

She wipes away the tears while cleaning the make-up that's smeared. She looked up at me and tried forcing a smile, but only managed to make it halfway. "Yeah, I think so" She hugged me tight once more "Thank you" I could feel her tremble once more just very slightly, hesitating to let go.

Strangely enough, it's in this moment that I see my own past reflected in her. We both know the burden of keeping up appearances, of putting on a brave face for the world. People expect us to be unbreakable, to have endless reserves of strength and resilience. But the truth is, we can be broken, we all have our limits. It's a lonely existence, always having to be the one to lift others up while ignoring our own struggles. But in that loneliness, there's a strange comfort in knowing that we're not alone. That we're all just trying to make it through the day, one step at a time.

I wish I could tell Chaeyoung that I understand what she's going through. But that risks giving away everything I'm working for in order to keep her and everyone else safe. For now, all I can do is be by her side and make sure the loneliness doesn't swallow her whole... as it did with me for a time.

I grabbed another tissue. I ran it across her cheek, cleaning the remaining bit of smeared make-up. Her eyes meet mine and for a moment I can see a look of pure terror in them.

"Y/N" she stutters "Do- do I have to go back out there?"

I smile softly and pat her on the head "Heavy hangs the head that wears the crown I'm afraid"

Her hair was still a mess, I did what I could to try and straighten it back out with my hands. "You know most people in your situation have it rough" I say to her "They have to face the entire world with their best self all the time. That can get tiring I assume"

Chaeyoung's head sinks down.

"But luckily for you" I pick her head back up and part her bangs so she can see clearly "You're not in this situation alone, are you?"

Her eyes look up at mine. She doesn't smile but releases a sigh, seemingly letting the tension flow out. She shifted her gaze back to the front, staring at the dressing room's door.

"Are you ready?" I asked

She nodded her head, walking out the door.

As I walked out behind her, I remembered what JYP had said to me before. I've already checked a decent amount of the studio as well as the music video set. However, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. If the Yakuza really are planning something, then more than likely, they're going to wait until the right moment to do it, and someone will have to physically be here. I've kept a close eye on all of the crew working with the girls. With the way Chaeyoung's ex came bursting in, I thought he was the big threat. But I guess the Yakuza aren't that dumb.

The girls all came back from break and started setting up for the music video. As the director guides them through the scene they'll be shooting, I watch the crew carefully. Everyone seems diligent in what they're doing and no one's acting suspicious.

"Get into position" I hear someone say.

Wait a minute. That voice. That wasn't Korean just then. That was Japanese.

My head darts around the room searching for the origin. It sounded like it was right next to me, but I'm not standing near anyone.

"We're almost ready, when the music starts we'll begin" Another voice utters.

The voice sounds like it's so close it could be in my-

It came from my earpiece. I must've picked up a frequency they're using to communicate. They have to be close for that to have happened, and they must be somewhere near the girls. But if they're not here on the set...

My eyes rise up. Past the bright lights shining down from the catwalks above, I can make out two figures lurking around in the shadows. I need to get up there now.

As soon as I'm out of sight from the girls and the crew, I sprint towards the ladder leading to the upper catwalk level. I know I need to time this right. I can't let anyone know that these guys are here. My best chance is to engage them when the music starts to provide the most cover for my attacks. But if I wait a second too long the Yakuza will execute their plan to harm the girls. I've only got one shot at this.

I slither through the shadows, using steel beams and the darkness to mask myself from their sights. I move silently along the catwalk, careful to keep my footsteps light as I position myself right behind the two. One of them seems to be unarmed, while the other wields a small switchblade. It looks like he's planning to cut some of the wires the lights are hanging from. As soon as I hear the director yell "Action" I tap the unarmed man on his shoulder.

The music starts. He spins around, eyes wide and fists clenched. He sends his fists flying straight towards me. I dodge his punches easily. As soon as I see an opening, I counter his attack by throwing a quick jab at his midsection, and he stumbles back, gasping for air.

The knife-wielding one tries lunging forward. I sidestep, grabbing his arm and twisting it behind his back. He grunts in pain, but doesn't give up the knife. He pushes himself off of me and steps back. The two regroup, eyeing me warily. I can see the anger in their eyes - they're out for blood.

The unarmed man charges again, while his friend circles around. I catch the unarmed one with a swift uppercut, and he immediately crumples to the ground, unconscious.

I spin around, the knife-wielding one stares at his friend. His eyebrows are raised as the muscles in his face tense up. His hand is shaking, he stares back at me.

My eyes narrow, as I stand tall. I clench my fists and start slowly walking towards him.

At first he stumbles back, but he steels himself as he closes his eyes and lunges once more at me. I grab his hand and dislocate his wrist. Before he has time to scream I jab him in the neck, leaving him struggling for air for just a moment. I pick him back up and punch him in the face, leaving him unconscious as well.

Looking down below, the girls are still performing the scene for the music video. I still have time to slip these guys out back.

I hoist the two onto my shoulders and make my way towards a back exit. I notice some duct tape in one of the storage rooms and snatch it. As I go through the exit's door, leading me to an empty parking lot, I place the two men on the ground and restrain their arms and legs with the tape.

Now that I'm getting a good look at them I notice they're both wearing pins on their jackets. I lean in to get a closer look and notice it's the Japanese character for "peace"

That's ironic.

"JYP was right, these guys are-"

One of them cuts me off as he tries to headbut me, I swipe out of the way while ripping the pin from his jacket.

He struggles and tries to free himself from his restraint.

"Which family sent you? And why is the Yakuza after JYP?" I ask him

He barks in Japanese "Stupid American, you don't even know what I'm saying and even if you did I'm not going to tell you"

I narrow my gaze and reply in Japanese "I can" I lean back in while scowling "And you will"