I

I

"I'm tired of this," I said once I finished photocopying a document using an old machine fixed a while ago. I had been finished earlier if only that freaking machine had cooperated.

"You always said that, but you're still here," my best friend, Lola, rolled her eyes and drank straight her brewed coffee. I was still working during lunchtime to meet the due date and to earn my cute salary. Yeah, cute because it was not big compare to those comfortably sitting in their swivel chairs and received their high income. Unfair.

"I'm an accountant. I should be in the accounting department. Then, I'm here, mercilessly working for a job I never thought would cross my line," I complained to no one in particular.

Yes, you read it right. I was an accountant. I graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in Accountancy, took a board examination, then tadah, I was a Certified Public Accountant. However, life was not fair! Jobs were hard to find. I needed money for my family's necessity and mine. Therefore, without a further ado, I took this job even though it did relate miles away from my title.

All the unfortunates came to me. I got an old hot-headed boss. He worked in this company for thirty-five years. Believe me! I did not know why he was still here rather than to rest in peace. I did not mean the other way; I meant it literally, like retirement or vacation, like that. He did not know how to use the photocopying machine or computer so I was his great accountant to take care of all those crazy things.

I said it sarcastically, I was an accountant, but after I graduated from college, not in this job. I should write debit or credit or journalize or at least creating a financial statement. But I was here facing an old model computer, typing files endlessly and duplicating–I doubted it was useful–document.

"Hey, how about let's look at Jobstreet. Who knows there is a job waiting for you there?" Lola tried to encourage me, but she failed. I knew all accounting jobs available there.

Lola was my best friend since high school. She was blonde, tall and gorgeous. When we were together, all boys' eyes fixed only on her. So sometimes, I asked myself if I were ugly. Seriously? I was not. My beloved mother told me I was beautiful. Yet I could not believe her, she was my mother after all.

My best friend had a higher position in this company. She was an HR supervisor. Okay, honestly, she was the reason this job embraced me. I had no choice, but to embrace it back.

"The last time I checked, all the jobs there fitting all my interests want a five year experienced. As far as I know, I am fresh graduate," I said after I arranged the papers and we started walking in the hallway.

"Oh, that's a news, I don't know you are a fresh graduate," she joked but I did not buy it.

"Whatever."

After I delivered all those fancy papers to my boss' table, Lola and I ate lunch in the nearest eatery along the block. Many eating-place fully occupied since almost all the company in this area had their lunchtime. We ended up in a small and low-cost place. I sighed. At least my pocket could take its rest for this day.

I ordered a ham sandwich, fifty percent lower than the usual price, and a Coke. Lola had her hamburger and fruit juice. She ate a lot, but her body size never got bigger. I envied her.

A small TV hung on the wall near us. Its sound combined with the chattering around the tables. I paid no attention of what the TV showed only when Lola talked about it.

"A week without Prince Alexander's scandal is not completed," she shook her head in annoyance.

I looked at her before eyeing the news flashing on the television. A reporter spoke something I could not understand because all my focus was in Prince Alexander's picture on the left side of the screen. He was... Did I really need to say he was handsome? Oh come on, so cliché! All prince were handsome.