17 ☆Rebirth☆

Third Person POV•*

"Come on Shelby! Come play with us!" Ross laughed and ran around the barn with s chicken on his head. Shelby giggled and chased after him, running with her arms outstretched to try and catch him. The large barn seemed to be floating on its on plane of light, the memory portraying s much happier time in life.

"Shelby! I told you to stay out of your Father's office when he's away!" The snappy voice of a young woman echoed through the membranes of another desolate plane of light. "B-But I... I saw a pretty tiara..." Shelby frowned and looked down at her feet guiltily. "A-And a small paper crown like mine..." She mumbled quietly and felt an onslaught of tears surfacing. The woman embraced her daughter gently and sighed quietly, "Don't cry... I didn't mean to yell... Here, we'll make a new crown just like the one you saw then you can go visit Ross." She spoke in a soft tone and held her daughter close. Shelby smiled sadly and nodded, hugging her back, "O-Okay Mom... I'll show him my new crown!" She smiled more brightly and enjoyed her mother's presence now more than ever.

"My name is Max! And I'm gonna be the coolest person you know!" The ginger introduced himself and pointed at himself, giving a cocky, closed eye smile. "But Ross is the coolest person I know." Shelby shook her head and pointed at her cousin who stood beside Max. Ross cheered and danced around with his chicken friend. "Take that Max! You're not as cool as me!" He stuck his tongue out and continued his silly dance, causing the girl to burst into a silly fit of laughter. "Y-You're so silly Ross!" Shelby giggled and laughed before copying him and doing the little silly dance as well, causing Max to hawk and become flushed with a cute red hue. "Y-You guys are weirdos...!" He watched them and spun around in circles trying to keep up with their crazy movements.

Shelby hummed gently as she drew on little sheets of paper. First she drew a dazzling tiara with purple gems and wrote the word 'Magic' underneath. "A magical princess that can do anything!" She laughed and moved onto another sheet of paper. "A cool boy that can shoot lightning! Pew pew!" She mocked the sounds of shooting and colored a yellow medallion. She smiled proudly and ran with her drawings, sticking them on the floor before sliding them underneath the door to her Father's office. "So that he won't forget about me!" The little toddler giggled with her red pigtails before she ran back to her room in a fit of giggles.

Shelby's POV•*

Father...

I never saw his face, but looking back at these memories made me realize that I'd truly known deep down who he was. He truly was the creator of all these powers, but how?

All I did was draw little doodles as a little girl and gave them to him. Powers like those don't just exist in the real world, but was this really the real world anymore? In a world where the drawing of a little girl could become not only reality, but embedded with powers seems to be far from what the real world truly is.

Was this the light that I needed to confide in? I felt stronger, both mentally and physically. The light seemed to favor me, because I felt more deserving of the powers I was given. Maybe this was what I needed, to search my past memories for the real truth and just... accept it...

My eyes fluttered open gently and I looked around, drawing a quick, deep breath and slowly regaining my conscious and memories. The feeling returned to my body and I slowly sat up, feeling eyes on me as I did so.

So that's what death feels like.

"Sh-Shelby... You're okay..." Jess wrapped her arms around me first with a smile, yet the tears in her eyes rolled down and onto my shoulder. "Hey, don't cry... I'm fine, promise..." I smiled softly and hugged her back, understanding why she felt the way she did.

"Shelby... I..." I looked over in Max's direction and saw Cory nowhere to be found. I frowned and looked up at him with a questionable gaze. "Max... Where's Cory...?" I asked softly and got up on my feet with Jess's help.

Max trembled visibly and I could tell that whatever he had to say, was not good. "I-I... I thought he killed you, so I punched him and I just couldn't stand the idea of seeing you there on the floor when I watched him do it... Shelby, I'm so sorry!" Tears we're in his eyes and he hardly even faced me. It was a misunderstanding, but Max packed a punch. I was worried about Cory and needed to see him, but Max clearly was feeling guilty and needed me as well.

I stepped over and grabbed his hands gently, "H-Hey Max... look at me... Whatever happened was an accident I know, and it's okay... We just have to have hope that Cory is okay and will be okay when he gets back from..." I glanced over and looked at the clinic sign and smiled a bit, "The infirmary. So don't worry. I completely forgive you for everything." I dropped his hands and instead, embraced him gently. I could feel Max start to calm down as the shaking in his body was coming to a stop.

"Sh-Shelby... I don't deserve you a-as..." He choked on his words and hugged her back without hesitation, "A-As a friend... Th-Thank you for everything..." His tears fell on my head and I could only smile and hug him closer.

"That's what friends are for. I'll always be here to help you..." I explained and rubbed his back gently to comfort him further. I felt him shift and he nodded, squeezing the small of my back, "Pl-Please do..." He whispered quietly and placed his chin on my head softly.

The truth was, I felt new. I felt... Reborn.