Chapter 25: Betrayal

Mark sighed,
"No doubt Francine has gone to let grandmother know."

Rose nodded,
"Well I guess we move ahead. Hopefully she won't say anything untrue."

Mark didn't look too brave. Francine came from the type of family that relied on stature. She would definitely twist things to get her own way. His sister gave him a worried look. This could make it harder on them to talk to Rosemary.

They approached the castle. The streets were empty and homes and businesses were boarded up. Beth sighed,
"I hate that our people have to suffer so much."

Raven looked at Beth kindly and spoke honestly,
"At one point I could attract any one to me. I loved attention. But I choose to be mean and selfish. I was angry at my father for selling me, angry at my uncle for abusing me, angry at my mother for leaving and angry at Rose because she was better at keeping her head.

So I took advantage of men. I wanted control.

And it was easy. They shouted and hollered in fun. Danced, drank and made love like it was the best moments of their lives. But I didn't really understand why.

Suddenly I had it all stripped from me when my beauty was covered. I had lived as an old woman for two years. No one took notice of me. But I saw them.

And this is what I saw.

All those men that flooded me at the lounge were very different on the outside of the club. They all had major issues.

I would see an older lord I knew married to a prude 15 year old girl, half his age. He had made love with me because I wasn't scared of myself like she was. She was raised to be good and he liked it rough. He payed me to be an outlet.

Then I would see a man I kissed who had a beautiful wife. But he wasn't attractive to her so they were indifferent. Their marriage arranged before they could speak. He liked kissing me because he made the choice. And when he was at work his pretty wife slept with the Baker in town.

I would see good looking men who had to take an ugly wife because she was richer then his true love.

Lovers walk through these streets. But they can't be married. They could have happy lives with one another even if it meant a bit more hardwork. But it's not their choice.

I had a boy I liked when I was 13. He lived beside us. But his dad told him I was too poor.

People suffer everyday. And Royals and Upper Class don't always know because they too are fighting similar battles. It's why Mark knows Rose. He doesn't want Mitilda. Or Francine. He wants what his heart wants.

And until people's hearts are happy there is no Good.

And when Good is gone everyone suffers."

Beth nodded,
"I agree. I was promised to a good man but he was slightly stuck up. Then Ethel sent me to another man because it was cheaper.

He abused me but there I met Calvin. So Mark and Casper helped him dispose of my deranged spouse.

I was bitter a long time. But after Rose told me your story I realized I still was advantaged. I could go home.

But you both never could. You were servents. Worse then that I realized while you to got free, many others aren't free. Girls are treated poorly because of the structure. And they never get to go home.

I want to fight to change that. If anything we will get you and Rose free so together we can all ensure things change."

Raven smiled brightly,
"I would love that!"