Chapter 28: Forgive, Forgive Me Not?

Rose giggled as Raven's husband shouldered drunken Raven and prepared to take her into their home. Marc patted him on the arm,
"Jacob will keep the lass with him tonight!"

He smile thankfully at Marc as he reached out to close the door. Meanwhile Raven's dark eyes reopened and she sparked back to life somewhat as she attached kisses to his neck.

Rose linked her arm through Marc and they laughed together as they continued to their cottage. Their home glowed with warmth as the  path widened to show their small home. Beautiful flowers enveloped the house and a wide garden spread out behind. A new swing hung on the tree awaiting for their son to play with. The chimney spiralled smoke into the cool air, bringing promise of a cozy warmth inside.

Marc loved it all. Rose reached up and kissed him hungrily. He responded but soon spaced out,
"We better relief Jacob and then we will continue." Rose responded with a smouldering smile as she took his hand and they entered through the gate.

She stopped suddenly then stuck out her arm to check her balance, the ail clearly effecting her more than she realized. Mark laughed loudly until she made a stern face,
"Shh, we can't wake up the children." Mark stopped his laughter abruptly by pursing his lips tightly. Rose's stern face dissolved as fresh giggles burst out at his expression.

He joined giggling lightly as he fumbled with the door handle. Rose smiled cheekily at him. He smiled back, he loved nights out in their tiny town. He could just have fun with no responsibility.

He opened the door revealing Jacob sitting on the couch. Beside him his tiny granddaughter slept. On her other side Penny stirred her tea, her kindly eyes brightening at the sight of the flushed couple.

Marc smiled at her slightly abashed by his drunken state but Rose exclaimed excitedly,
"Penny!"

Jacob laughed and it was Rose's turn to smile bashfully at her father,
"Hi papa, um Raven is... well, would you like to have a sleepover with your granddaughter?"

Jacob's eyes crinkled and he affectionately rubbed his granddaughter's back,
"Aye, I will take her to my cottage.
Yer family is here to!"

The couple blinked hard as the King let out a jovial laugh from his spot on the high back chair,
"My son! I had to come meet my grandson! What a beautiful home you have made Rose!"

Rosemary sat beside him in the other armchair. She gave the pair a weak smile. Marc reached out and grabbed Rose's hand. His grandmother had kept her distance from them. He still was upset at what Rose had to go through because his grandmother's harsh judgement. He could feel Rose's tenseness.

The King straightened up, carefully shielding the baby's head,
"We had to come here secretly to ensure this place would stay under the radar. It's a spectacular place. Penny tells me the bakery is yours?"

Marc smiles at his father and pats Jacob's sturdy shoulder,
"Aye, it's family run. We serve the whole town and many farms as well."

Jacob beams,
"Marc does all the numbers, we are expanding every quarter!" He goes to say more but a long yawn escapes. Rose smiles sweetly as she wraps a blanket around her niece,
"You may leave father, we will meet at yours for brunch tomorrow."

"Okay, I will make extra! Penny will stay with me also since you only have the one spare room."

He picks up Penny's bag and his granddaughter carefully. Penny picks up the young girl's doll and holds the door open as they bid their good nights.

Marc settles onto the couch with Rose sitting cautiously beside him. He wraps his arm drawing her closer. The King send her a warm smile,
"Rose, he is perfect. I am so proud of everything you have done."