Chapter 26: A Thorn to Prick

The King sat back bewildered. So many memories flooded him. Some his own, some morphed by Ethel.

He looked at his children,
"I am so sorry."

They quickly shook their heads, Mark speaking,
"I had no idea either. I refused to believe Casper and Beth my whole life, and I wasn't even poisoned.

Do not feel bad. We just need you to help us now."

"Of course!"

The King scanned the group. Beth held his hand but she was smiling at her main gaurd Calvin. In un-knightly fashion he winked back making her cheeks tinged pink. Her late husband's death and Ethel's insistence to remarry Beth came to his mind. For the first time he noticed how comfortable Beth actually was with her main protector.

Casper sat beside Mitilda. He smiled at them but then rubbed his chin,
"Does your lame leg bother you still?"

"I deal with it. I may get a White Witch healer to look at it to lesson the twist."

Mitilda smiled at Casper.

The King stood up,
"Well it appears I have work to do.

Mark, are you sure if I restore Casper the Crown you will be ok?"

"Yes!" He pulled Rose down to sit beside him, beaming at her.

The King smiled at his golden son's enthusiasm. Rose came with quite a tale!

But the love in the room told him he had gotten lucky that despite Ethel's meddling his children found security.

He thought of Rosemary and frowned slightly. His mother was a stickler for order. No doubt his children's wayward decisions had clashed with her.

He looked at Rose and Raven. The twins were astonishing. They both would make beautiful Princess. Only their history would never allow it.

He looked at Calvin. He too was below Beth in status but the ease his sons showed the knight proved to the King that Calvin was great for his recovering daughter.

Lastly he looked to his first son. Casper sat straight despite his mutations. And Princess Mitilda sat beside him comfortably. They still followed the rules. He felt comfort in knowing he could at least start with them.

Sighing he stood up,
"Ok. Well to begin I suppose we find out what my mother managed.

If and when the Black Witches are contained then we will work on straightening things out."

The group smiled and made their way to the back to the office. Rosemary stood red in the face due to the amount of argueing. She paused when she saw the King. He walked up to her,
"Mother. I appreciate you coming to assist in this. I have been cured from the poison Ethel had fed me. My children made me aware of the situation.

How are things going with removing the Black Witches?"

"They refuse to come out. And Garth is not even answering me either."

"He was disposed of."

Rosemary formed an "oh" with her lips.

The King loved his mother but he was aware that her position in power had eventually gone to her head. It was why his father had placed a law that a couple must always rule. The moment a spouse passed the Crown would pass to the next couple in line. It was why the first born was always in an arranged marriage.

When his father passed away his mother had to step down.

Unfortunately it just fueled her control obsession over her coven. It was why when she tried to switch his engagement to his wife to one of her Witches before he married. Luckily he could kibosh it.