Chapter 42

Us

Hero's POV

Nirvana. My thoughts start with her and end with her. My feeling is indiscribable. The happiness from the idea of seeing her and the fear of her unknown condition is building up with each minute that I pass in this flight to India. Only my heart knows, how I have spend this month. Even when my mind was blank, I kept on wondering about our imminent separation. When I was with her, the joy I felt was infinite. However being distant was equally painful. She shouldn't have left me like this. Anger, hate whatever she wanted to throw on my face, I would have gladly taken it all. But not this. I know I have hurted her but I am adamant that we are meant to be together. I am a bit disappointed with myself and also feel a sense of grief due to the current situation. But in noway will I ever let her leave me again. Even now, there were people who stopped me from going after her. Be it Anna's jealousy, my mother's disgust, Fatima's concern, or my team's schedule for the movie, none of them wanted me to come here. Amidst all these complications, I wonder why people keep trying to give me advice. It gets me into needless arguments. By now, everyone should understand what Nir means to me. What she is to me. These hordes of people around me, they feel like a jungle that's caught a wild fire. They wonder, why I should burn in love that will eventually fail. They are happy despite having failed and I don't wish to be like them. The nights never let me forget her, she continues to remain by my side, even in my thoughts. Sitting here, waiting for her, now every single moment withers away like sand, right in front of my eyes.

Nirvana's POV

I pull the door of my room open, and tip toe towards my Aunt's room. There are people from Rehan's family sleeping in this house tonight. I have to be extremely quite and careful for my plan. It is morning 4 o'clock and everybody is asleep. I am already late because of these people lurking around till late at night. I open my aunt's room and move towards her cupboard. I think she hid my passport there, so that I can not take it back. I open the cupboard slowly so the old wood does not creak. I search among her pile of clothes, random boxes. Finally I found it. I close the cupboard and scurry out of the room. I run towards my room and start packing my bags. Once, I am ready I peep out again to make sure, no one is awake. I drag my bags towards the end of the living room. I push open the door and cold breeze hits my face. Suddenly someone pulls my arm back. I turn around to find Rehan. "Rehan" I mumble in panic. He pushes me towards the ground and closes the door again. "How dare you?" He shouts and within seconds, lights get turned on in the corner of the house. "You were leaving me? Me....on the day of our marriage?" He inches towards me and I regain my balance before he throws me on the floor again. "You were trying to insult me in front of the whole village" he stomps on my feet and I scream in pain. "What happened?" My aunt comes running followed by Ruhi "What is going on?" she asks. "Ho Kya raha hai yaha?" Rehan's aunt asks as his uncle stands next to him. "Yeh mujhey chod kar jaa rahi thi. Purey biradri ke saamne Meri izzat mitti mei milane wali thi yeh" Rehan slaps me hard on my face and tears brim my eyes.
(Translation- She was running away, insulting me in front of the entire village)
"Kyu re ladki? Kya dikkat hai Teri? Kya jawab dete hum? Shaadi se pehle ladki bhaag gyi?"  his aunt pulls my hair, to make me face her and I slap her.
(Translation- What is your problem? What answer will we give to the people if they come to know that the bride ran away just before the marriage)
"You whore !!!" Rehan shouts and kicks my stomach and I fall on my back. Pain coures throughout my body. He picks me up by strangling my throat but I dig my nails on his cheek and scratch it. Once, he looses his grip on my throat, I run towards the door coughing. The moment, I kick it open, his uncle pulls me back from my arm, tearing my shirt. "Rehan isko iski aukaat dikhana bohot zaroori hai" he says and looks towards me, making chill run down my spine.
(Translation- Rehan she needs a lesson. Teach her one)
Rehan unfastens his belt. Everybody, except him walk away to their rooms. "Maasi !!!" I shout, crying but she doesn't listen. "Nirvana, don't worry. I will not hurt your beautiful face" Rehan steps towards me and wraps the belt in the air and then it hits my chest. Pain screeches throughout my body and I scream. Another blow hits my back and I shudder because of the burning sensation on my skin. "You deserve it" he wraps the belt again to hit me and I turn away to save my face. But the belt doesn't hit me. I turn slightly towards him, sobbing. He wears a stunned expression for a second before turning around. "Kaun hai be tu?" He asks the man, I can't see.
(Translation- Who are you?)
My vision is still distorted. And all of a sudden, Rehan is punched to the ground. I rub my eyes to adjust it in the light, coming from the door and my heart skips its beat. Hero.

"Nirvana are you alright?" He asks me in a shaky voice, cradling me in his arms. I don't answer him but I can't stop myself from smiling, my jaw hurting in action. When I am on my feet, I shriek in fear as I see Rehan's eyes on us. "So this is the guy who fucked you and then left you?" Rehan asks maliciously. 
"Move away" Hero shouts back. "What if I don't" Rehan takes a step towards me. "Then you will be in trouble" Mill pushes him aside. Two policemen follow him inside. Rehan's uncle comes running and tries to offer useless excuses but anyone can make out the truth, seeing my condition. Torn shirt, bleeding lips, swollen cheeks and wounded arms. "We need to get you to the hospital" Mill says touching my forehead. Hero wraps his one hand around my knee and the other around my back, lifting me up in his arms. I dig my head in his shoulder, taking in his scent, his touch, as my head throbs in pain. I close my eyes, letting relief finally take over.