They Say It Gets Better, But It Doesnt

(WARNING: VIOLENCE AND MENTIONS OF DEATH)

I sit on the couch talking to Meredith. Turns out she's really nice. She has a couple kids whom she introduced me to. The oldest, the boy named Evan, acts a lot like Zak. He's pretty goofy and likes to make stupid jokes.

(A/n i just made that name up im not sure what Zak's sisters sons name is.)

The younger girl, Emily, is quite shy. About halfway through the conversation she tugs on the bottom on my skirt and I look at her.

"Yes?" I ask quietly

"You have a cute dog." She says.

"Thank you. Her name is Gracie." I say.

"I love her." She says.

I smile as Emily walks away. I eventually excuse myself from Meredith and make my way through the crowd to the kitchen. I grab a small bottle of water which someone brought and open it.

I down the entire bottle and turn to face the people in front of me. I scan the room for the light brown/ dirty blonde hair I love so much. I spot it in the corner of the room. He's talking to Phil. I walk over and as I pass by the people stop talking and give me sad looks. I hate their pity. I have enough of my own I don't need more.

I finally reach him. Phil notices me and clears his throat.

"Hello Faith." He says.

Dakota turns around seeing me.

"Hello." I say coldly to Phil.

"Hey. How are you feeling?" Dakota asks putting his hand on my lower back.

"Drained." I say truthfully.

"I'm sorry. I'll make sure you get lots of good sleep tonight." He says pulling me in.

"Phil, I see you've met my boyfriend." I say turning to him.

He nearly chokes on his drink.

"He's your boyfriend?" Phil asks.

"Yes." I say

"Aren't you like seventeen?" Phil asks

"Eighteen."

"He's like 20 though?"

"Your point?" Dakota cuts in.

"I think that's wrong. Does Zak know?" Phil asks

"Yes. I was the one who let them date." Zak says from behind us.

"I think that this is very wrong. Dakota is twenty something and Faith is still a minor. You need to break them up." Phil says.

"My daughter is legally an adult. She's allowed to do as she wishes. So, what's it to you what she can and can't do." Zak growls

His voice is dangerously low. Phil notices this but doesn't back off.

"For one, I'm a way more responsible adult that you are. Second, he's an actual adult. He's probably cheating on her anyway. She doesn't deserve him." Phil says matter of factly.

I raise an eyebrow and without thinking, I punch him in the nose. Zak lunges for him after I bring my hand back to my side. A fight breaks out between the two but I am so angry at what he said I can't move. I'm frozen in my place. It takes two people to drag Zak off his brother.

He shakes them off and starts yelling at Phil.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Zak yells

Phil stands up and says something that shocks even me.

"I'll get her back one day. Believe me when I say, this time she won't make it out alive." Phil growls.

I stumble into the kitchen. I knew he looked familiar. I hit the sink hard with my hip. I hear Zak's low growl from in here.

"You have ten seconds to get out of my house before I call the police." Zak says.

"Make me." Phil growls back.

In the heat of the moment, I grab a kitchen knife from the knife block. It's incredibly large and sharp. I turn around and shove through the people who are watching. I step right in between Zak and Phil. I hold the knife up to Phil's throat.

"You have five seconds to get out." I snarl.

He seems to get the message because he starts slowly backing up towards the door and hitting it.

"Now listen here. If I EVER see you around here again. I will shove this up your skull." I snarl into his face.

He nods stiffly and I open the door for him.

"Now get out." I say.

He stumbles onto the front door step and I slam the heavy wooden door in his face, locking it. As I turn around to go up the knife back everyone stares at me in shock.

"What? I'm not letting him insult Zak like that." I say.

I walk into the kitchen and slide the knife back into its place. Dakota and Zak come up behind me. I start shaking slightly. I'm full of anger and fear.

"Faith..." Dakota starts

"I should have let you kill him. I knew there was something off about him when he walked in but I couldn't figure out what. I'm sorry, Zak. I didn't know how else I was gonna make him leave." I say staring out the window.

"Faye. It's okay honey. Sky is calling the police right now. You won't ever have to see him again." Zak says

"Yeah. You shouldn't worry, love. Zak beat him up for me." Dakota says.

I turn around to hug them but when I do, I'm staring at my old room in my aunts house. I blink and it's gone.

"Faye?" Dakota asks.

"I need to get some sleep. I'm really tired." I say shakily.

"Okay. C'mon then. Zak, we'll be upstairs." Dakota says taking my hand.

Zak messes up my hair a little and then walks away.

——-

I lay in my soft, warm bed with Dakota. I listen to his heartbeat as I drift off to sleep. Nothing is better than this at the moment. I can finally sleep peacefully and not be interrupted with night terrors.

As I lay listening to Dakotas heart beat and the rumbling of his voice as he tells me all the good things about Minnesota. We'll be leaving in little over a month and a half. For two weeks we'll be rehearsing for his older sisters wedding and then the actual wedding. I already have my dress. Dakotas sister even had him send measurements of my entire body so they could have the dress custom fit.

Zak hired a tailor to fix anything we ran into with the dress, which was a little too tight around the breasts and my bum. The tailor fixed it and then sent it back, dry cleaned and in a nice white bag.

"If you want we can stay longer after the wedding and just hang out. My family owns a lake house and the view there is just amazing." Dakota says.

"Would they really let us stay?" I ask.

"Of course. I'd love for you to see where I grew up." Dakota says.

"I'd love to do that." I mumble falling asleep.