Flights and Such

*three days later*

I hug Zak. He grips my shirt hard as he cries a little bit.

"Zak, why are you crying?" I ask him, pulling back.

"Your gonna be in a wedding." He says wiping his eyes.

"Zak, I'm not the one getting married! Jeez if your like this for me being a bridesmaid, just imagine what you'll be like if I'm the bride." I say.

He laughs a little at that comment.

"Please don't put that thought into my head. I'm not ready for that." He says.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we need to go or else we will miss our flight." Dakota says from the front door.

"Right. Go! I'll call you later." Zak says shoving me and my suitcase out of the door.

"Bye! Love you!" I call to him as I hop down the steps.

"Love you too." He calls back.

"You ready?" Dakota asks as he opens the taxi door.

"So ready." I say.

~~~~

I wake up at the airport. The taxi stops in front of the doors. Dakota thanks and pays the driver. We get out, grab our luggage from the trunk, and make our way inside.

We wait until our gate opens and then go through security. They let us though after clearing up that my medication, (I brought it with me this time), was prescribed to me. Dakota and I are the first to board and we're in first class. Lucky us. Our seats are mini beds. Like, how cool is that?!

We even have seats next to each other so we can talk and hold hands. The little television screens are on playing random movies and shows. Dakota and I have the two seats near the window thankfully.

I stare out the window curled under the blanket I bring with me everywhere. In the past couple of years, this blanket has been through so much. My trip to the hospital, the stop at Rachel's, the police department, the foster system, a road trip to Sacramento, so many flights, so many sleepless nights where I rub the cloth between my fingers. The edges are frayed and some parts of it are soft from being rubbed so hard. The seams are splitting too. I've had to send it to Grandmas house four times to have it fixed.

Zak has tried to make me get rid of it and get a new one but I keep refusing. This blanket has so many special moments that I hold close to my heart. I get nervous when it's not with me. I sound like a child, yes, but I don't like not having it. I love it too much.

Dakotas hand shakes me out of my thoughts.

"You ripped it." He says.

"Huh?" I ask.

He points to my blanket. I've rubbed on the soft spot near the corner of the blanket. I push my middle finger through the hole I've torn. A sense of panic rushes over me.

"Oh no." I whisper.

"Hey it's okay. When we land I'll call my mom and ask her to patch it up for you, Okay? How does that sound?" Dakota says sensing my panic.

"Okay." I say looking at him.

He smiles and kisses my nose. A thing he does when he knows I'm nervous. I plug my headphones into my phone and slip them into my ears. I press shuffle onto some random music and drift off.

~~~~

I'm startled awake by the plane shaking. I sit up fast and look towards Dakotas seat. He's not there. I yank the headphones out of my ears and whisper yell his name.