Minnesota Weddings

*after the flight. At Dakotas house*

I nervously get out of the taxi and start grabbing my things from the trunk. A thin woman comes running out of the house and towards Dakota. She hugs him and tells him she missed him so much. She walks up to me with open arms and takes hold of my shoulders.

"And you must be Faith! Dakotas told us so much about you! I'm Polly, Dakotas mom." She says hugging me.

I hug back hesitantly.

"Hi." I say softly.

Just then, three other girls, six men, and a young boy walk out of the house heading for Dakota. They all great each other and Dakota introduces us.

"Guys this is my girlfriend, Faith. Babe, this is my dad, Rob, My older sisters husband, John, my older sister, Rebecca, my other sister, aka the bride to be, Chelsea, her fiancé, Adam, my friends Tanner, Conner, and Frankie. That's my younger brother, Taylor, and my childhood friend Kathy." Dakota says.

He says Kathy's name like it's vermin. I think I'm the only one who catches the slight disgust in his voice though because everyone else just ignores it.

They all either wave, hug me, or shake my hand. Except Kathy. She crosses her arms over her chest and glares at me. She's a thin blonde with caked on makeup. Her hair reaches her waist and her low cut shirt is telling me she's still single.

"That's Faith?" She asks wrinkling her nose.

Everyone stops what they're doing. My face flushes and I look at my feet.

"Kathy. Don't be rude. That's Dakotas girlfriend." Tanner says.

"I can be rude if I want to! This is a free country!" Kathy yells

"Kathy if you can't control yourself I'm gonna have to ask you to leave." Dakota says wrapping his arm around my waist.

"Fine! It's not like I wanted to be here anyway." Kathy snaps.

She whispers a threat in my ear as she shoves past me.

"Dakota is mine. And he always will be." She snarls.

She's gone in a flash. I feel the tears well up in my eyes and I pretend that I got something in them.

"Oh ow! I think I got something in my eye! I'm so sorry, can someone show me the bathroom?" I ask hiding my face behind my hair.

"Oh, of course! Let's let all the boys do all the heavy lifting!" Polly says taking me from Dakota.

She leads me into the bathroom and shows me where the sink is.

"Thank you so much Mrs. Laden." I say

"Just Polly dear. It's no problem!" She says closing the door behind me.

When I hear her footsteps in another room, I let the tears fall. What if Dakota is really cheating on me? I love him so much! I can't just let him go to some other girl! I sink to the floor.

I sit on the floor for about five to ten minutes before I get up and rinse my face off in the sink. My eyes and nose are puffy but I don't care. I'll lie to them all and say my allergies are bothering me. They don't know when I'm lying.

I dry my face on the towel and then head out into the living room. I flip off the light before I shut the door behind me.

I follow the sound of girls voices out into the big living room. All three girls sit on the couch talking about hairstyles and makeup for the wedding. I awkwardly stand in the corner. Chelsea notices me first and motions for me to sit down. I sit beside her on the couch.

"So are you excited?" She asks "Dakota told me you've never been to a wedding before."

Never been.

"I'm a little nervous to be honest. I'm still super excited. Thank you so much for inviting me." I say.

"Oh it's no problem really! I wanted you to come so bad! Dakota has told me so many things about you and I just knew I had to meet you!" She says.

He did? What did he say?

I smile.

"Anyways. Are you okay? You seemed pretty upset about Kathy's behavior." Chelsea asks.

"If I'm being honest... I don't like the looks of her." I say.

"Honey, nobody in this house does. Tanner loves hanging out with her." Rebecca says.

"Then why don't they hang out somewhere else?" I ask.

"That's what we keep asking! She is obsessed with Dakota! She thinks he's into her because they're 'besties'. It's disgusting." Polly says.

"Oh..." I say.

I'd been crying over nothing. Yet, that doesn't excuse the fact that he still might be cheating on me.

"You really have nothing to worry about. She's literally harmless. We hide anything sharp when she's around." Rebecca explains.

What does that mean?

"Oh. Okay." I say.

We continue talking for a while until all the boys come back inside and join us. Dakota comes in and motions me over to him.

"Excuse me." I say standing up.

I meet him at the bottom of the staircase.

"I'm so sorry about her. I swear there is nothing between us. She's obsessed with me! I don't know why she keeps hanging out with me! I hate her so much. After high school, she changed. She turned into a real b- "

"I understand." I say.

"You... you do?" Dakota asks.

I nod. I don't sense a lie, which is funny because I can't really use my psychic abilities for little things like a lie.

"Just promise me you'll stay far away from her, and I'm not saying that just so I can be one of those controlling girlfriends. I genuinely get a bad feeling around her." I say.

"Trust me, I wouldn't willingly hang out with her in a million years." Dakota says.

His hands reach for my waist and he pulls me in. His lips find mine and he kisses me softly. His arms snake around my waist and pull me even closer to him. There's only us in this moment. My own arms wrap around his waist as best as they can.

Someone clears they're throat, ruining the moment. We break apart and look at the group in the living room. Everyone smirks at us. Taylor even has his phone out. I blush and turn to bury my face in Dakotas chest.

"We will continue this later tonight." Dakota whispers into my ear.

He leads me into the living room again and sits down. He pulls me close to him as we sit talking.

"Well Dakota, I'm sure you and Faith are super tired. So why don't you guys go get some sleep and we'll bring you some dinner back." Rob says standing.

"Sounds good, Dad." Dakota says.

They all stand then and get ready to leave. As soon as all of them are out of the house, Dakota turns to me. He pushes me back onto the couch until I'm laying down. 

"So now that we have the house to ourselves.... what would you like to do?" Dakota asks.

"I don't know." I say.

My arm reaches for a pillow that's on the floor.

"Well I have an idea." Dakota says leaning in.

I smack him with the pillow. He gasps.

"How dare you!" He says

"Pillow fight!" I call out.

I roll off the couch and prepare myself for a fight.