The Sounds of Silence

Dakota and I take our dinner back to the hotel in little plastic bowls.  I grip his hand as tight as I can. The spirits around me reach out to grab my hair, transparent hands reach through my body sending shivers down my spine. All o can hear are their ghostly wails, calling out to me. I just want it all to stop. One of them manages to grab me and yell into my face.

"DEMON CHILD CAN SEE THE DEAD! DEMON CHILD WILL GO TO HELL!"

I stumble backwards trying to hold in a scream when Dakota comes over and hugs me. His little cross necklace that I bought him touches my head and I suddenly feel calmer. The ghost shrivels away into a cloud of smoke and the whispers I was hearing drowns out momentarily.

"Don't tough her. She is safe." I hear someone say

I let Dakota pick me up and carry me back to the hotel. He hold me all the way through the lobby and into the elevator. Only putting me down when he needs to get the hotel key out of his pocket. We walk into the room and settle into the bed with our dinner. We eat in silence. Suddenly, Dakota pulls his necklace off his neck and places it over my head.

"Kota...." I say trying to pull it off

"You're shaking. Keep it on. I'll take it back when we leave." He says

"Okay." I mumble

We finish our dinner and then get ready to go swimming in the pool balcony. I pull on a very stretchy one piece and grab a very large fluffy white towel. I meet Dakota out on the balcony. I notice Dakota has pulled out a pool floatie in the shape of a unicorn. It's not very large but it's big enough to float around the pool and fit my belly. I float around as we talk to each other about baby names and how much we'd be spending on baby clothes.

When I start shivering, we get out and dry off. Dakota and I shower, change, and get settled into bed next to each other. Dakota falls asleep with his hand on my swollen belly. I get a strange idea about a name.

"Edward?" I say "Ahh, Mira loves the twilight movies."

I smile at the thought of her. The good memories of her send me into a peaceful sleep.

*three days later*

I bolt upright in bed, sweating and gasping for air. A searing pain rips through my abdomen and a warm wet feeling grows between my legs.

Oh no....

I get up as fast as I can and waddle to the bathroom clutching my stomach. I flip on the light and head towards the toilet. I touch the wet area. My hand comes up bloody.

The baby..... THE BABY!

I let out a strangled cry.

"DAKOTA!" I screech.

Pounding footsteps come towards the bathroom. The door flies open and Dakota stands there looking worried. He sees the blood on my hand.

"Oh my god.... oh my god." He says over and over.

"Call an ambulance!" I shout

Dakota runs off and seconds later I hear him yelling into a phone to get an ambulance at our hotel. He comes running back to the bathroom.

"They said we need to get you downstairs and that they're on their way right now." Dakota says "let's go. I'll get you something to cover up the blood but we might have to get a change of clothes later."

We both rush to the door as fast as my legs will carry me. Dakota grabbed a black skirt to cover me up and pulled it over my head. It did the job but didn't stop what was happening.

We finally make it to the elevator. When the door opens, the paramedics start asking me questions. They lead me to a stretcher and have me get on it. I don't hear anything they're asking me. It's all muffled. I go into a state of shock. Everything goes black and quiet.

I'm so focused on the pain that I don't notice my vision coming back. Something is pressed into my face. Someone is yelling. I feel a prick in my arm and something soft pressed between my legs. The pain begins to subside in my abdomen. I feel drowsy. So drowsy.....

My baby. What's happening to my baby!? I start to panic but I can't move. I struggle but my body feels heavy. I pry my eyes open against my own will and spot a familiar looking figure in front of me.

"Shhhhh..." it coos

"My baby..." I mutter

"It's not time for him. We have other plans." It says stroking my cheek.

"No..." I say before my vision once again goes black and I pass out.

~~~~

I awake in a white room. It smells sterile. I feel a large, warm hand on my own. I hear someone whispering. My eyes open a bit. They feel so heavy and swollen. I turn my head slowly to the left where I feel the large hand. The figure in front of me is blurry. I know the person as soon as he speaks.

"Shhhh, hey baby.... how are you feeling?" Dakota asks stroking my hair.

"Mrs. Laden. Glad to see you're awake." Says someone else.

I open my mouth and croak out some gibberish.

"Shhh... don't talk too much baby. You're throat isn't gonna hurt." Dakota says

"What.... happened to him?" I ask groggily.

Silence.

My vision clears up a bit and notice the two men glancing at each other with sorrowful looks.

"What.. happened." I demand, voice still hoarse.

"Mrs. Laden..... I'm so sorry." The doctor looking man starts, "You seemed to have suffered a miscarriage in your sleep. I'm so sorry."

This time, I am silent.

"They has to do an emergency C- Section to save him." Dakota says

"Did he make it?" I ask Dakota.

Silence. Again.

"Did he make it?!" I shout, causing my throat to hurt more.

"He... uhh..." the doctor says "He's currently on life support machines. I'm sorry Mrs. Laden. I'll give you a minute to talk about this with your husband."

My baby. Barely 4 months developed. Gone?

"After the C-Section, they found out the baby was closer to 6 months. You mysteriously got your period somehow. They said it happens. So you were a month ahead. Dr. Reed even double checked your previous ultrasounds." Dakota says rubbing his face.

"Where is he?" I ask softly.

"NICU... we cant see him just yet. He's getting an operation done right now." He says.

I start sobbing quietly. My poor baby. Already having surgery to save his life.

"I called Zak. He's on his way over. He cancelled his investigation and he's having Aaron watch over the museum. We have to stay until the baby is ready to be transported back to Vegas."

I cry harder. I have to stay in Paris until my baby is healthy enough to go back to Nevada. How can this day get any worse?

"I love you, Faith." Dakota says

My loving husband strokes my face and holds my hand as he whispers that it's going to be okay. I sob as I say I love him.