Sprace- Secrets

A/N - Big thank you to @Hobokin8056 for the idea for this short story!

The strike has been and gone. The newsies had won, obviously. Life seemed to back to normal but Jack Kelly had notice Race was staying out hours past selling time. He also noticed Race was barely ever in Manhattan, but where could he be going? That was the question on Jack's mind. He was going to find out on way or another.

Race came back that night to see all the boys outside on the stairs. They are normally always indoors after selling hours. 

"Albert, why are you guys out 'ere?" Race questioned.

"Jack wants a word with youse." Albert responded.

Race nodded and went inside. There was Jack waiting for him, he looked annoyed. 

"Race, where have youse been goin' after sellin' hours?" Jack said in a stern voice which Race knew he had to answer and there was no getting out of it. 

"Brooklyn." Race said. Jack's face became worried and angry. "Ise been with Spot".

"With Spot?!" Jack practically shouted. "Do youse know how dangerous he is? Right that's it, youse ain't allowed to Brooklyn. Youse is doin' all your sellin' with me. End of." Jack shouted again.

Jack had once dated Spot. Let's just say it didn't end very well. 

-------------------------

It had been a few days since Jack stopped Race from going to Brooklyn. Race had become miserable and depressed. He stopped smoking cigars, stopped eating. He just laid in bed all day. He wouldn't even go out selling. 

Spot had noticed he hadn't see Race in a while. He decided he'd go over to Manhattan to see if everything was alright.

When Spot arrived at the news boy lodging Jack Kelly was outside. 

"Is everything alright with Race?" Spot asked, trying not to be rude. 

Jack drags Spot up the stairs so no one can hear them. Race had heard Spot's voice and was listening in to their conversation.

"Stay away from Race. Youse is nothin' but bad. He don't need that." Jack said shouting.

"Youse don't get to say what he needs and don't. It's his life Jack. He can do what he likes." Spot said back, angrily.

"Youse is a bad person Spot. I just don't want youse to break his heart the way youse broke mine." Jack said quietly. 

"But youse moved on." Spot said, referring to Jack's boyfriend. 

"Just because ise is dating Dave does not mean my feelings have gone. Yes, they are small and tiny but they still there Spot. I don't want youse hurting him."

"Youse is a stupid person Jack. I ain't listening to some selfish idiot like youse. Youse is still hung up on someone you dated long ago." Spot said Angrily. Spot stormed off and slammed anything he could on his way out. 

Jack started to go back down the stairs when he saw Race at the door looking shocked. He went into the room with Race and sat him down. He told him everything. He told him that Spot and him dated once and it ended ugly. He told him everything.

"He may have hurt youse Jack but ise think he's different. He's gentle Jack." Race said.

Jack nodded he finally understood that people change, that people are different around different people. He finally understood the flaws in his plan and realised Spot was going to get Race one way or another. He finally lets it go and tells Race he can date Spot if he likes. 

A/N- sorry if this was short and crappy. I haven't wrote a story in ages.