Chapter 1

I quickly scan the line at the airport, momentarily concerned. I swear, if Bruce forgot...

"Eliza!" He waves from about twenty feet away, bearing a handmade sign. I squint and slowly distinguish MY IDIOT SISTER in my brother's unmistakable scribble. He always tells me it's because he's a doctor. I just think it's because he's too impatient to make his handwriting legible.

"You know, I almost missed you," I tease, leaning into his embrace for a minute. It's a bit awkward, with the poster and my suitcase, so we separate quickly. Bruce is one of those people who looks perpetually tired, but he has a few gray hairs I don't remember being there before. "You look a little worse for the wear."

"Yeah, I've been better," he replies. I raise my eyebrows. "But I've definitely been worse." I know both of us are thinking of his mistake in the lab, and the color green. Honestly, I haven't looked at the green giant on peas the same way since then. And the Battle of New York couldn't have helped my brother's peace of mind.

"So are we going to stand in the airport or are we going to get going?" I prod, snapping Bruce out of his memories. He shakes his head a little to clear his mind, then nods.

"I've got the car waiting outside." He leads me down the stairs, but I keep staring out the floor to ceiling windows that showcase the city skyline. In the distance, I can just make out Stark Tower. When we step into the sidewalk, I gasp.

"When did you get this?" The car is far nicer than any I've seen before, slick and black and better looking than Thor's picture from the news.

My big brother only laughs at my shocked face, an expression I don't show very often. "It's one of Tony's," he explains. "He's kind of over the top. I prefer my old pickup truck, though."

"Well, I don't!" I say giddily, hopping into the front seat and motioning him to get in. I think I hear the smallest sigh, only making me grin more. I missed him.

"I suppose college has been treating you well?" Bruce asks, starting the car. To my surprise, the oldies radio station comes on, filling the space with an Elvis song I can't quite remember the name of. Bruce quickly changes the music to classic rock, which I appreciate instantly. "Sorry about that, I dropped Steve off to pick up the pizza on the way here, and he really can't wrap his head around newer music. We'll have to get him on the way back, it's not far from the Tower."

"Steve? As in Captain America?" My mind whirs, trying to keep up with the fact that I am in Iron Man's car, heading to Tony Stark's house, but we have to stop on the way because Captain America had to get the pizza.

"Yeah, as in him," he responds, a smile tugging on the corner of his lips. "Most of them will be there tonight, that okay with you?"

"Of course," I say like it's no big deal, which it totally is.

"You didn't answer me. How's balancing S.H.I.E.L.D. and your studies?" The look he gives me over his glasses is concerned. I forgot he wore those. And he's acting a bit like my father used to. Bruce, you are only thirteen years older than me! I think, internally rolling my eyes.

"I'm doing okay. Most of my work is online because I'm obviously not on campus a lot. But I'm managing. I love what I do, and I need to keep up if I'm ever going to get more PhDs than you!" We both laugh, something I know Bruce doesn't do a lot. I'm happy I get to be with him now. Both of our work pulls us in different directions, so each time we get together seems like a vacation.