Chapter 43

I wake early as always, but instead of getting right out of bed, I take a minute to snuggle closer to Loki. He looks so calm in sleep, so relaxed. And for a Frost Giant, he's surprisingly warm. This arrangement is much better than the cell I woke up to a few days ago. I use my magic to make sure he's happy and not having any nightmares. Nothing. Only contentment.

I slip out onto the balcony to watch the sunrise. In Wakanda, they're almost as lovely as Asgard. Maybe I should wake Loki up. Shivering in the early spring air, I turn to go back inside, only to run right into him. I scream.

"You always forget a coat," he says simply, tossing me one and giving me a peck on the lips.

"Thanks," I say shakily. "How are you so quiet?"

He gives me a goofy look and a rather dramatic bow. "Magic."

"All right Mr. Magic, come here," I tease, beckoning him closer. He puts an arm around me as we watch the sun color the sky. Then he kisses me. I could kiss Loki for hours, but I don't. "When do you want to head out?"

"As soon as possible. I want you all to myself." He kisses my neck gently, and goosebumps appear.

"Let's get moving then." We head back inside to get dressed. I don a jean skirt and chunky green sweater before turning to Loki, who looks incredibly handsome in his black button down and dark jeans. "You know, Lokes, you in normal human clothes is a real turn on for me."

"I hope so," he whispers mischievously, eyes sparkling. I playfully swat him away. "You look ravishing."

"Hey, it's your color." He offers an arm and we walk down the hall together, all the way to the front entrance of the palace where everyone else is waiting.

"Ah, there are the lovebirds!" Croons Bucky, who gets a light slap in the face for his comments. "Just about ready to go?"

I nod. "Where is it that we're going, exactly?"

"You can teleport, correct?" Nat asks Loki.

"Yes. Do you have an address?" She hands him a slip of paper.

"It's in rural New York. Far enough away to get some time to yourselves and stay hidden but close enough to get help quickly if you need it," Steve explains. "It's a wedding gift from the three of us."

"Thank you all so much. Will you be okay?" This is something that really worries me. "Where will you go?"

"Various places, it's probably better if you don't know," Steve says, and I understand. Information is dangerous. "You can contact us if you need us."

"Likewise," Loki says.

"Just try to leave us alone for a little while," I tease. "We need some time."

"That's all anyone needs," Steve jokes, extending a hand to Loki. "Good luck, you two."

I hug Bucky first. "Sorry you didn't get to be the maid of honor."

"It was a bit hard to take," he says dramatically. "But I feel privileged to be one of your three guests. Thanks for having my back in Germany."

"You're welcome. Take care of yourself, okay?" I move onto Nat.

"Be careful, okay? I don't want to lose you, too." Lose you too. She's thinking about Bruce.

"I'll be with a god," I tell her. "A very jealous one, too. What could go wrong?"

"Jealous? Me?" Loki feigns surprise, but there's a twinkle of amusement in the trickster's eyes.

"All the same, don't take chances. You never know who's out there." She gives me an extra squeeze. "I love you, Eliza."

"You too, Nat." Finally, Steve wraps his strong arms around me.

"I'm leaving you again. Don't get in more trouble, I'm not always going to be there to save you," I joke, but a few tears spring into my eyes.

"Don't cry. This isn't an end. It's a beginning." He pulls away. "We're always here for you."

"Have fun, you two," Bucky says suggestively, even throwing in a wink and a wiggle of his eyebrows. "Play nice."

"Buck!" Steve reprimands, astonished by his friend's words.

"It's okay, Grandpa," I say, rolling my eyes. Loki chuckles. "I thought we'd escape comments like that since Tony isn't here."

"You thought wrong, then," Nat says, snickering. "Get moving."

I take a moment to burn this scene in my memory: the shining Wakanda sun, my friends happy and safe, and me traveling into the unknown with the man of my dreams. Slightly cliche, but I think the metal arm and the fact that my man is a god of mischief makes it different than most fairytales.

I wrap my arms around Loki and he glances at the address before teleporting us to somewhere.

This is a shorter chapter, but I hope you all enjoy!