Chapter 46

I bite my lip and stare down at the blank paper in front of me. It's taunting me, daring me to write something. This is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Lately I've been thinking about everything that's happened in the last few months, and that created this idea. Swallowing my strange mixture of fear and pride, I scrawl out two words.

Dear Tony,

That's a start, at least. You have to start somehow. I've been meaning to do this for a while now, but I haven't had the words. I might as well try.

Hey. It's been a while, I know. We parted on some bad terms, so I wanted to clear a few things up. I came up with this whole idea of being the bigger person, and forgiveness, but it didn't quite fit into this letter, and I realized why. I don't forgive you because I never really held anything against you in the first place. That must sound weird, but it's true.

You did what you believed was right at all costs. Didn't we all do the same? We all fought for what we thought was best. As in all conflict, some win and some lose. That's just how it works. I don't want you feeling guilty for anything you did to any of us. You didn't know they'd through us in the Raft. I'm in a better place now, trust me.

Speaking of places, if I have the guts to mail this, it means you have my address. Do with that what you will. I'm trusting you to not do anything with it. You could find me. I know you could. I get it. I'm a criminal. I'm a fallen hero, but I would like to think you're a better person than that. Despite all that has happened, Tony, I still trust you.

I hope we meet again someday. You really are a good person. I hope the reason we reunite is not another conflict, because I'm currently enjoying what Clint calls "retirement" and what I call plain old peace. I hope you've found peace, too.

Say hi to Pep and Rhodes for me.

-Eliza Banner

This one's more of a filler chapter, but I like it.