Chapter 52

LOKI'S POV

I appear in a conference room, unsure of who I will encounter there. With everything that has happened, I have no idea how the team will react to my sudden reappearance. It's been a long time, and most of them didn't trust me even back then.

"Loki." I turn to see James Rhodes, a man I'm not positive I has ever been introduced to but know by association with Stark. Eliza also saved his life. "What are you doing here?" He seems slightly defensive, which I don't blame him for.

"I need to talk to Rogers. We have a... a bit of a situation."

"He isn't here." Of course not. How could I be so stupid? He's on the run, not lounging around in the Avengers compound. Rhodes raises his eyebrows. "A situation?"

"A world-threatening one."

"Is it bad that I'm not sure whether or not to believe you?" He asks. "I'm not trying to be rude, but everyone says you're different now. I wasn't there to see that."

"I don't blame you at all. Most don't trust me," I reply softly, looking down at the hardwood. It hasn't been easy over the years as I've slowly tried to put my life back together. I think the only ones who really trust me are Eliza, Thor, and Rogers.

"Give me a reason to and I will."

"I don't have one," I say. It's the truth. "You just have to take my word."

"I don't know if I can do that," he admits.

"My wife saved you." His head snaps up and he slowly starts to pay more attention. "A few years ago, in Germany. She saved your life."

Rhodes smiles a bit, remembering. "I barely knew her. Then we were on opposite sides. No one would have blamed her if she didn't come and help. But she did."

"She's selfless," I say, chuckling. "A trait I'm still working on, to be honest."

"If she loves you, then you must be okay," he finally says. "Tony always spoke highly of that kid." Not a kid anymore, I think. We've both come a long way since I met her in Stark Tower. Me, a broken man with a tattered past. Her, a bright girl with serious insecurities. I never would have guessed how much she would change my life. But slowly, we began healing each other.

A hologram appears in the middle of the room. I step back, unsure of whether I should be seen. Rhodes nods to me, so I join him.

"Still no word from Vision?" A sternly dressed man with a mustache asks him, ignoring me. He seems downright unlikeable.

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," he responds shortly. I can tell he doesn't want to talk to this man. I reach into his mind. Secretary Ross. A man Eliza absolutely despises. She's complained about him before. From what I understand, he's the reason Rogers and Romanoff are still on the run.

"On a stolen quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you choose to call them that, right?" I snap, unable to stay out of the conversation anymore.

"Loki of Asgard. It's been a long time since I've had to deal with you. The Prince of Lies, isn't that what they call you? I must say, your talent for absolute crap rivals my own."

"No lies," I say smoothly. "I'm being completely truthful when I say any of those so-called criminals are worth fifty of you." He bristles at the insult, but I couldn't care less.

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would have been right here!" Rhodes argues.

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."