Chapter 19

"So let me get this straight," Tony says, waving his arms. "One of your real parents was Asgardian? And now you have magical abilities? What are you, Harry Potter?"

I slap a Santa hat on him and laugh. "Something like that. I can feel others' feelings. Oh, and I can heal people."

"That's crazy enough to be true," he says, shaking his head and almost losing the hat.

"It's good to have you back. We could use you on the team, if you're interested," Steve says, smiling.

"It's good to be back." I don't answer the question of becoming an Avenger, even though it excites me. I sift through the box of Christmas ornaments and pull out a little Iron Man figure. "Hey Nat, what do you think about making this the tree topper?"

"Definitely!" She yells from the kitchen, where she and Clint are making gingerbread cookies. "Tony's always the center of attention, it only makes sense that he's the most important part of the tree, too."

"Careful, Romanoff, your present is in jeopardy," Tony warns, pointing a stuffed snowman menacingly in her direction.

"I'll take my chances. Clint, eat one more bite of that cookie dough and I will kill you with this wooden spoon."

"Santa's watching, Nat," he responds, but yanks his hand out of the bowl. Loki grins and hands me another ornament.

"I like her," he mutters.

"Easy, hot stuff. You're all mine," I say, swiping a kiss on my way to the overflowing box of Christmas decorations. I dig through it until I find something that makes me stop in my tracks. "These are for you!" I sing out, running back to my boyfriend. He raises his eyebrows as I put golden reindeer antlers on his head. "TADA!"

"Those look familiar, where have I seen them before?" Tony wonders aloud through everyone's laughter, even Loki's. I'm glad he finds me amusing, not annoying. "I officially know what movie I'm picking for tonight. We're doing a marathon, by the way. Everyone gets to pick a Christmas movie. Once we're done, we'll start. Oldest first, and Cap, for once it's not you."

"Thor, you're getting old over there," Clint jokes.

"Yes, but you are a child compared to me," Thor responds from inside a tangle of Christmas lights. "Um, could someone help me with this?" Wanda goes to save him as Loki gives me a boost to put the little Iron Man on top.

"Perfect," I say. Glancing down at my antlered man, I can guess what Tony's movie Selection is. "This place is looking so much better. The tree's just about done."

Twinkle lights are everywhere, snowmen and Santas dominate the room. The tree is full of pretty glass balls and movie character ornaments, my personal favorite being Dumbledore with a Santa hat. As Tony hangs the last stocking on the fireplace. I chuckle. There's even one there for FRIDAY. And snow is falling heavily outside. I can't imagine a better holiday.

Well, I actually can. But my brother is nowhere to be found.

"Let's cue Netflix, then. Everyone on the couch!" Tony calls. "Thor, if you don't know any of these, just pick randomly." The team starts to migrate over and we all pile comfortably onto the three couches. Nat tosses some blankets and Wanda brings over a tray of cookies.

I look at Loki curiously. "How old are you, exactly?"

He smiles. "Well, in Asgardian years, I am 1,048 years old, but in mortal years, I'm somewhere around eighteen."

"Eighteen? You're barely an adult! So in a way, I'm older than you," I tease, snuggling up next to him on the couch.

"I suppose so. I am much wiser, though." I lay my head on his shoulder, and he gives me a gentle kiss on the hairline. "I'm happy to be here with you, my little sol."

"Me too," I whisper, ignoring the fake gags from Tony and Clint. Wanda and Steve shush them because the movie's about to start.

Thor ends up choosing A Christmas Carol, but I miss most of it asleep on Loki. He nudges me during the credits. "I'm next. Which do you suggest?"

"Home Alone," I mutter sleepily. I sit up and laugh along with the rest of the team through the whole movie. After, Steve does get his turn, so we watch It's a Wonderful Life despite Tony's protests of it being too old and mushy. It's one of my favorites, though. Tony puts on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to the surprise of absolutely no one. Everyone does get a kick out of Loki's matching antlers, though. Clint goes with Elf, and Nat picks Christmas Vacation, which has everyone in tears of laughter. Wanda chooses A Charlie Brown Christmas, and I end the marathon with White Christmas.

We all end up falling asleep around one in the morning on the couch.

                       ———————-

          I open my eyes the next morning and clap a hand over my mouth to refrain from laughing out loud. Almost everyone's still asleep piled on top of each other. Nat's on Clint's lap, Thor is halfway off the couch, Wanda draped over him, and Tony's feet are resting on Nat. I move carefully off of Loki and walk over into the kitchen, where Steve hands me a cup of black coffee.

"Morning," I say, grinning. "Quite a sight over there."

"I'd have to agree. Even in the army, I've never seen that many people asleep on each other." He chuckles, remembering a different time. "Happy Christmas Eve, by the way."

"Thanks, Steve. You too. Any plans for today?"

He scratches his neck and eyes the passed out team. "Clint's leaving when he wakes up, he's spending the holiday with his family. There's not a lot to do during the day, but I'm sure we'll think of something, and we'll have dinner tonight."

"That sounds fun," I say. What to do today...hmm... "Steve, can we go caroling today? Dressed as the Avengers?"

His face splits into a big grin. "That sounds great. I don't think I've been Christmas caroling since the forties. I didn't know people still do that. The press might get a kick out of us."

"Just imagine how excited kids will be!" I say, clapping my hands together as quietly as I can. I know how thrilled I would have been if Iron Man came to my door singing. "I should go as Hawkeye," I joke, since Clint won't be here.

"You can go as yourself, if you want." I stare at him.

"Steve, I'm not an Avenger," I say slowly.

"You could be. Tony wasn't kidding about you joining the team. We've talked in the past. We could use someone like you."

"Really?" I ask excitedly. "That would be incredible! I'd love to, it's just-" My words trail off as my eyes shift to my snoozing boyfriend, who most certainly will not receive the same invitation. And he can't stay here, either. What would that mean for us?

Steve seems to sense my hesitation. "Listen, think about it. Talk it over with him. I know you'll come up with the best decision." He nods to Loki. "So, when did this happen?"

"Officially? A week or two ago. But we've been close for a long time."

"And you trust him? He treats you right?" Concern flicks in his old blue eyes. Thank God for Steve Rogers and his sweet dad ways.

"Yes, I do. He's sweet and thoughtful with me, and super protective. I'm so happy being around him. He's, I don't know, all I ever wanted. You know what I mean?" I look up at Steve, wondering if he's ever been in love. I haven't told Loki those words yet, but I'm sure that's what this is. We kissed in the library but this feeling's been there much longer.

He gives me a wistful smile and stares out the window. "I used to."

I don't have much to say. Thanks for reading, hope y'all like this one! I laughed really hard with Loki's antlers lol.