Chapter 25

Eliza's POV

I'm playing the piano when I hear a soft knock on the door. "Loki, not now," I say weakly, fingers hovering over the keys. I've almost gotten a hold of myself, and I don't want to dissolve into a sobbing mess again.

"It's Clint. Can you let me in? You have the room on lockdown."

"FRIDAY, you can unlock the door." The door clicks open and Clint enters, bearing a bowl of soup.

"You missed dinner, so I thought you'd be hungry. Don't worry, I cooked, not Tony. There was this one time he made toast, but he tried to use one of the suits to cook it in the Tower and- okay, you're not in the mood for this." He sets down the bowl on the coffee table, choosing to ignore my appearance. I haven't even changed out of my suit, which still has Natasha's blood on it, and my long hair is an absolute mess. "Want to tell me what happened?"

"Don't you already know?"

His gaze hardens as he sits next to me on the bench. "I know you two got in a fight. He's outside freaking out now, for whatever reason, he's been there since then. Thor went to talk to him. Tony had footage, but we didn't listen in on audio."

I do end up telling him what happened, stopping to wipe my eyes a few times. Through it all, he listens carefully, offering a shoulder to cry on once or twice. "Things were going so well between us, Clint. We were so happy, and then this happened. I'm afraid he'll leave me."

Clint sighs, giving me a fatherly exasperated look. "Listen, I'm going to tell you a few things I know about love, about him, and about you. One, he would be an absolute fool to leave you. You're sweet and caring, and kind, and whether you've said it or not, I can tell you love him. It was already in your nature to help others, and the addition of magic only increased that desire. Two, he loves you. I might not like him much, but I know what it's like to be a man in love. He looks at you the way I look at Laura. I know you two have known each other for a relatively small amount of time, but love works on a different timeline for everyone. Don't let one small bump in the road end what should be the happiest part of your life." He puts an arm around me. It feels good.

I swallow. "Thanks Clint."

"So what are you going to do?"

I think for a minute, but I really don't need it. "I'm going to forgive him, and hope that he forgives me."

"That's right you are," he says, smiling. "You traded emotions with Wanda?" I look up at him.

"How did you know?" None of them understand how Asgardian magic works. I was hoping it would go unnoticed and I could just pass it off as a panic attack. Plus, it's honestly a lot more dangerous for Wanda to lose control of her emotions than it is for me.

"Thor figured it out. She's really grateful, by the way. She couldn't believe you would do that for her."

"I'm glad," I say, walking towards the window. I missed most of the sunset because I was sobbing my eyes out over the piano, but faint colors still streak the sky. They highlight the tops of trees so beautifully. And then I see something that brings tears to my eyes.

It's him. Loki running at top speed towards the building. He looks so excited, so hopeful. He's coming for me. I look at Clint.

"Get going, someone needs you," he says, grinning. I take off at top speed, almost running Happy over on the stairs in the process, but I don't care. I'm running for the doors and flinging them open and running straight for him. It's just like those romantic movies but I don't care. He's coming and so am I.

I throw my arms around him, and he holds me tight. We don't kiss, just stay in that embrace for the longest time. Happiness overwhelms me because he just feels right and safe and loving.

"I'm sorry," he whispers into my hair. "I'm so sorry."

"Me too," I whisper back, beyond grateful.

"You didn't deserve what I said. You just wanted to help people."

"And you just lost control. It happens." We pull apart a little, still wrapped together loosely. "Are we okay?"

"As long as you say so, my little sol." I nod, a little smile playing on my lips. "Let's go somewhere people aren't watching. We need to talk."

"Who's watching? I thought- oh." Behind the glass walls of the compound, literally every Avenger has their face smushed up against the glass, watching us. I can clearly see Natasha's satisfied smirk from here. "Yeah, let's go somewhere."

We walk down the path together in silence, just happy with each other. Crickets chirp and the wind blows gently, chilling me to the bone. Loki puts his cloak around me, somehow sensing that I need it. I smile gratefully at him.

"Okay. I've held back from you in the past because I thought you might leave." His green eyes seem to glow in the dusky evening. "I'm not proud of it, but that's going to change. I want us to be able to talk about everything. I don't want to have to guess anymore."

"Me either," I say, meaning it. "What happened?"

He takes a deep breath and begins. "I told you a few months ago that I was not behind the attack on New York. It wasn't me. I was under the control of a mad titan. I'm not going to tell you much about him, even his name, just because of the memories. He was in my mind for the longest time, Liza, it was agony. And sometimes, his voice comes back. It's like he's still there. The voice influences me, makes me worse than I actually am. Other times I get flashbacks. Only you and Thor know all of this."

"Is that why your eyes were blue?" I ask, careful not to upset him. I know how delicate this topic is.

"Yes. That's how you can tell. I'm not excusing my behavior earlier, I'm just trying to explain it. And I've spent all these last few months worrying that you'll leave, or that I'm not good enough for you. But I realized that instead of worrying, I should just enjoy my time with you."

A lump forms in the back of my throat. "Thank you," I whisper.

"I just want you to know that I'm here. We're in this together. I care for you more than I've ever cared for anyone, and as much as it scares me, I love you, Eliza Banner."

He said it. He finally said it. A few tears do escape this time. "I love you, too, Loki Odinson." He leans down and gives me a gentle kiss. Golden light explodes from my fingertips, and green from him. It swirls around us as our lips meet. It's beautiful. I pull away, giggling slightly.

"So Thor came to talk to you?"

"Yes. He was slightly annoying but had some decent advice."

"He's going to be so happy we made up. Your brother is literally our number one shipper," I joke.

Loki's eyebrows draw together in confusion. "He's what?"

I laugh out loud, which makes him smile, even though he still doesn't get it. "I love you so much, my silly, clueless prince." And I kiss him again.

Yay I got to write some romantic fluff. That's my favorite. How are you all liking it?