Chapter 31

"Cooper, listen," Clint pleads, getting down to eye level with the boy. "Just because Eliza can heal you does not mean you can start doing dangerous things on purpose."

"But it's so cool-"

"No buts. Stop injuring yourself." I roll my eyes, thinking about how many times I had to heal his careless father. He should try taking his own advice.

"Let me see what you did this time," I say, squatting down next to Cooper. The kid is a spitting image of Clint, it's hilarious. He points to his skinned knees. "Okay, c'mere." I place my fingertips gently on the cuts and heal them, yawning slightly at the end. I've been healing his minor wounds all morning, but it does take a little out of me.

"Now, go find your sister." He scuttles off. "You've been here almost a week. Do you like it here?"

I nod vigorously. "So much. I need a place like this someday. It's so much better than the compound." Not that the compound isn't nice, but sometimes it feels like there's no separation between work and life, between Eliza and Sol.

"Yeah, well, from what I've heard, no one really knows you're here. You're not being hunted or anything, because you haven't officially quit. I personally think they'd be idiots to not even consider the idea that you're here, but because I'm technically retired, they can't come banging down the front door looking for you," he says. "Nat keeps me updated with what's going on with the team. She thinks you went back to Stanford."

"I mean, she's half-right." He seems confused, so I hold up the book I was reading before Cooper cake over. "A few weeks ago I started going back to college online. I need to get a jump start on those phDs before Bruce comes back. I'm getting close to my doctorate in Biology, and I'm working towards more."

"Ugh, not another doctor," Clint complains. "Bruce and Tony are enough, and Tony doesn't even have a doctorate!"

"I'll be the smart one for the team," I say, punching him in the shoulder playfully. "I mean, the others created a bunch of murder bots and a red humanoid who tried to make me cookies."

"Did he really?" The amusement on Clint's face reminds me of Loki. I really hope he's okay.

"Yep. I never got to try them, though. That's pretty sad."

"I don't know how good they'd be, anyway. The guy can't eat."

"So what's happening with everyone? Is Steve okay?" This has been bothering me, the idea of Captain America in a jail cell.

"They let him go. Sam too. He still won't sign the papers," he says, shrugging. "He got arrested because he went after Barnes himself."

"Barnes? You mean the Winter Soldier?"

He nods. "Yeah. He's been kind of troublesome in the past, but he and Steve go way back. Friends from the forties. Apparently becoming a ruthless Hydra killing machine doesn't change that."

"Clint," I reprimand, even though he's like fifteen years older than me.

"Sorry!" He says defensively, holding his hands up in mock surrender. "I forgot you're the defender of hopeless causes." Coming from someone else, I would be offended, but I know he's just joking.

"Not right now. I'm currently the defender of your son who keeps getting injured just so I can heal him."

"Yeah, he's kind of an oddball. Told me he wants to marry you."

"Yeah? Well, I'm taken by a pretty fierce man. I wouldn't mess with him." Laughter erupts from our lips.

"CLIIIIIINT!" Laura's voice rings out from the house, which only makes me laugh harder.

"Ah, she probably figured out that I stole a piece of cake," he mutters. "See you later." He heads inside the house. I wave cheerfully before walking a little ways away from the house and sitting underneath a tree with my book. I need to read it for class. It's similar to the biology book Loki was reading the first time I met him. I smile, remembering that day. We've come a long way since then.

Sunset. It's pretty out here in the country. I wonder if it's sunset on Asgard, too. Maybe he's thinking of me right now. I know he can't hear me, but I still speak softly.

"Hey Lokes. You can't hear me, but that's okay. You were always a good listener. I'm okay right now, don't worry about me. Clint and Laura are taking good care of me, and you'll be happy to know that I'm taking care of myself for once. Things would honestly be perfect, you know, if you were still here. But I understand. We're in this together. I was just thinking about little moments we've had, like how you taught me about infinity stones and the night we danced on Asgard and you read me that poem. Little moments like that. I told Clint about us. He's really excited, I hope we invite him to the wedding, whenever that happens. It's so strange to even think about. We're on separate worlds right now. I miss you, love. So much. Come back to me."

This one's short and kind of fluffy, but it's cute.