Chapter 27

He's gone. I get that straight in my head right away. He's gone, and I don't know when he's coming back. That's the simple truth of it. He could be in Asgard for days, weeks, months, maybe even years. I have no way of communicating with him. I'll just have to trust and pray that my silly prince will make it back safely to me. To marry me. And I have to not get killed in the process.

Why does everyone leave? I think sadly as I get up from my uncomfortable position on the dirt. First my real parents died, followed by my adopted ones. Then Bruce left right after my graduation. Then we reunited, only for him to leave again. And now Loki is gone, too. This is another one of those moments when I wish I wasn't so acutely aware of my emotions. As an Empath, it's a blessing and a curse.

After tucking my necklace away, I head back inside, hoping to find someone lurking around to talk to. I choose to go to the kitchen. Maybe there's leftover pizza. Where there is Tony Stark, there is pizza. When I get there, I'm not alone. "Vision," I say, surprised. I didn't expect him in there. You know, because he doesn't eat.

"Miss Banner," he says, clicking off the TV before going back to the bowl he's mixing. "It's good to see you."

"What are you doing?" I ask curiously.

"Attempting to make you chocolate chip cookies. Mr. Stark informed me of today's events, and I thought you might need to be cheered up. The rest of the team sends their condolences."

"That's really sweet," I say. I'm honestly touched. Vision keeps mixing the dough, but I can tell that he's hiding something. He usually loves to talk. I think it's because he's basically a robotic version of Tony. I can't use my magic on him, though, because he's not really a human, even though he wears sweaters and sounds like a middle-aged British man. "Vis, what's wrong?"

"Absolutely nothing. Nothing whatsoever."

I roll my eyes. "I was good at figuring it emotions before I had powers. Spill it." He sighs and turns the television back on. My eyes widen as I watch the scene unfold in front of me. Steve's shield has a bomb on it. Wanda saves him by throwing the explosion upwards, but it crashes into a nearby building. Fire leaps from the windows and the camera flashes to emergency personnel saving the injured. There are so many. I sit on a bar stool, stunned.

"What kind of effect will this have?" I ask quietly, playing with my necklace absentmindedly. To him, it's just a bead. Just an illusion hiding in plain sight. To me, it's the closest I can get to Loki right now. "I mean, what is the media saying about us?"

"Nothing good," Vision admits, sitting next to me. "They're calling the Avengers uncontrollable and Wanda a monster. King T'Chaka of Wakanda has been particularly harsh. The team quietly left Lagos a few hours ago. Mr. Stark is already on his way back from-"

"The team has just arrived from Lagos," FRIDAY informs us. I jump up and run to the entrance of the building. I don't think I've ever seen my friends so dejected. Steve won't move his gaze from the ground, Natasha's normally bright eyes aren't sparkling, Sam just walks into a different room, and Wanda is on the verge of another breakdown.

"Hi," I say, my voice lacking its usual enthusiasm. Natasha gives me a tight-lipped smile. I don't get a reaction from the other two. Wanda runs up the stairs. I don't blame her. Nat hugs me quickly and goes to her own room.

"I guess you've seen our news," Steve says, hands in his pockets.

"And I guess you've heard mine. Or Loki and Thor's, I guess." The two of us begin to walk towards the living area at a slow pace. We are too heavy with sadness to go faster.

"Yeah, I have. Tony contacted us."

"He's on his way, and will probably be here soon," I tell him. "I feel so bad for Wanda. It's not fair for her to be scared of herself." I can sense it from here.

"I should go talk to her."

"You don't need to fix everything, Steve." The words come out of my mouth and I realize how hypocritical they sound.

"Neither do you. But we both can't help ourselves. Let's go try to fix this together." I nod and follow him up to Wanda's room. She's on the bed watching the news call her all of these awful things. It twists my stomach. Steve clicks off the television and she turns around.

"It's my fault," she mumbles, biting her lip to try to keep on a brave mask.

"It's not your fault," he says gently.

She gives him a thin, unbelieving smile. "Turn the TV back on, they're being very specific."

"Wanda, you were just trying to help," I say, sitting next to her and giving her hand a comforting squeeze, trying to trade a little reassurance for her emotions. They turn out to be self-hate, but I try to stay away from it, taking deep breaths to keep myself calm. I steer my thoughts away from the fact that I hate how I let people walk all over me and how everyone always leaves me as soon as possible.

"People died, and it's on me. I should have clapped that bomb long before we had to deal with it."

"It's on both of us." And then there's me, who just secretly got engaged and has no idea how to contribute to this particular conversation.

"This job... we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes it doesn't mean everybody. You need to find a way to live with that. Next time, maybe nobody gets saved. " Steve joins us on Wanda's other side.

"I just- it's just that-" We're interrupted by Vision phasing through the wall. Wanda only gives him an exasperated look. "Vis, we talked about this."

"Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed..." He trails off, realizing his blunder. "Captain Rogers and Miss Banner wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thanks, Vision," I say. "We'll be down in a minute."

"I'll... use the door." He starts walking, but stops and turns around. "Oh, and apparently he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?" Steve's eyes narrow, and even though Vision doesn't have eyebrows, they still somehow raise.

"The Secretary of State."

Y'all, Civil War is coming and I hope you're ready. She has to pick a side!!! Any predictions?