Chapter 21

The first thing I register is shock, then I fly backwards, slamming against the wall. Shards of glass puncture my side and hand as I try to push myself back up. Wanda's unconscious body lays next to me. I think she's okay, just hit her head off of something. Loki seems to be suffering a similar fate, but he was the closest one to the bomb. Worry flutters through me. The rest of them are up, assessing damage. I limp over.

"Is everyone okay?" Steve asks, concerned. Most of us have scratches and burns, injuries Loki and I can easily fix. I sigh.

"What was that?" Tony asks, shaking his head.

"If I knew, I'd tell you!" Natasha snaps, examining a rather deep cut on her hand.

"I can fix that," I offer, taking her hand despite her protests. I concentrate and the wound is gone within seconds. "Anyone else?" They all show me their injuries, and I slowly heal them one by one. Feeling slightly unsteady on my feet, I lean against Thor, who gives me a sympathetic smile. He, of course, doesn't even have a paper cut.

"I'm being stupid, the building isn't secure," Tony mutters, walking into the kitchen. "FRIDAY, I need you to put the Tower on complete lockdown and contact Fury."

"Sir, intruders have forcibly broken into the facility."

"WHAT? Where?"

"They are about to enter the-"

Another crash makes it impossible to make out FRIDAY's warning, but it doesn't matter. They're already here, smashing through windows. Tony immediately summons the suit, and I grab the dagger Nat just gave me. Bullets rain through the air, hitting ornaments and walls. All of the intruders are dressed in black and aiming to kill. I throw the dagger at one, which is great, except when I realize I am now weaponless and do not have Loki to conjure another one up for me.

"Eliza, here!" Nat screams, tossing me a spare knife. I don't question where she got it. I just use it to stab a soldier. He goes down, but his companion fires his gun. I feel the sickening jolt of it bullet hitting my side, but I grit my teeth and ignore it. I'm wearing the black Iron Man sweatshirt. No one can see my blood, and the others need my help. I assess who we have left: Nat's got a bad wound on her leg, judging by the loss of her usual fluidity. The rest seem to be injured but still fighting.

"Last one, Cap!" Tony calls, pointing to someone behind him. My dagger hits him before he can attack Steve. Natasha collapses to the ground, and it's all I can do to stay upright. Instead I run over to her, trying to hide my cries of pain.

"Nat, here, where are you injured?" I pant, quickly cutting off the fabric of her left pant leg. One bullet has pierced her thigh. "Okay, I can do this. Thor, try to wake Loki up."

"Why? He seems to be unconscious, but when he wakes up, he'll be perfectly fine," Thor says, kneeling over his younger brother. A new pain floods through my body the minute I start healing Natasha. It's much sharper, stemming at my injury and spreading out quickly. Wanda next, I think, internally groaning. Then Loki, if Thor doesn't wake him up first.

"Just do it," I hiss, biting back tears. He's the only one here who can help me. "Please."  Everything feels like it's on fire. The bullet wound takes much more out of me than the glass cuts from before the second fight. "Okay, who else?" I don't mean to whisper, but I don't have the strength for more. I stand up but quickly fall down and smack my head against the coffee table. I don't even have the energy to scream or cry. It all hurts so much.

"Eliza?" It's Steve's voice, I think, but I only decide that it is when his eyes stare down at me worriedly.

"Probably not," I mutter weakly, trying to push myself up. He pushes me back down. It's irritating. I need to get to Loki. "Steve, let me go."

"Where are you hurt?" Nat asks. Now she seems perfectly alright. Lucky for her. I shake my head and start trying to move again.

"Stop stalling, you're injured. FRIDAY, run a screening on Eliza Banner," Tony snaps, getting down on the ground with me. Ugh, this feels familiar. Always saving everyone except myself.

"Two bullet wounds on the left side, sir. Extreme blood loss. Possible concussion. She needs immediate medical attention."

"FRIDAY, you rat." I curse under my breath, careful so Steve doesn't catch it. 

"Someone get Fury on the line. Hey, stay still," Tony mutters, moving my shirt up just enough to see the injury. There's a sharp intake of breath I really don't like hearing. "Kid, stop trying to save everyone. You're hurt. Loki and Clint and Wanda will be fine for a little while. You, however-" I cut off Tony's words, but it's hard to speak.

"I need... to heal him. He... can heal...me." Despite everyone telling me not to move, I start practically dragging myself across the debris-covered floor. I'm inches away from Loki when everything goes black.

I think I killed the Christmas vibes.