Chapter 5

"So you've completely checked and revised this serum? You're positive it works?" I ask. Tony nods, gesturing to the virtual screens floating in the air. He points out a specific image, a mouse.
          "We ran computer tests first before trying live organisms. The mice fared pretty well. We're ready to move on to human testing. We just needed a biologist's opinion on its safety."
          "You two tried this formula on mice?" I ask, trying to get the full picture. "Did it work?"
          "It did allow them to heal faster than average, but we don't know how it would affect radiation," Bruce says. I finger the vial full of a light blue liquid. "We haven't been able to acquire gamma radiation for our own testing purposes, so we've had to... estimate."
          I don't like the sound of that.
          "So the first test of that phase will be on... you?"
          He nods, as if there isn't a thousand potential things wrong with that plan. "Sue me."
          "Well, all of your formulas check out," I say, skimming over the charts once more, "but I wouldn't recommend you trying it first, Bruce, even for its healing capabilities alone."
         "And your reasoning for that is?" Tony raises his eyebrows, not in a sarcastic way, but because he truly wants to know. It's nice to see curiosity in a man who acts like he knows everything.
          "It's not only his cells that are mutated, it's everything. Bloodstream, muscles, tendons, tissue. According to science, the serum would affect Bruce's body differently than a normal, healthy one." I cringe at my word usage. Bruce is healthy, but also not. 
          "That settles it, then. I'll give myself a paper cut and try the serum myself," Tony says, reaching for Bruce's notes. I shake my head.
          "It can't be you, either."
          His eyebrows arch so high I almost don't see them. "Why?"
All these questions, Tony.
          "Your arc reactor. Injecting in you might affect it negatively. We don't need more lab accidents. No one should get hurt."
          "And you're sure about this?" He asks.
          "Positive. You need to find another test subject. Maybe someone else in the Tower?"
          Tony shakes his head. "It can't be someone else."
          "Why not?"
          He sighs and looks down at his hands. "Because no one else knows about it. No one knows what we're really working on. Not Fury, not Cap- no one."
          I'm bewildered. "But- why?"
          "When we approached Fury about curing me, he was hesitant," Bruce says, running a hand through his hair. "Said it had too many risks. Our serum could fall into the wrong hands, it would completely change warfare and the way we live. It wasn't just that, though. There was more.
          "S.H.I.E.L.D. doesn't want to cure me. Right now, I'm an asset to the Avengers, another weapon for them. And I absolutely hate it, but they don't want to let that weapon go. So we went ahead and did it anyway. Once we use it on me, we're destroying it."
          "That's why no one else here knows. Our team, our friends- no one. It would put them in danger if we were found out. You get to know because we needed your help. So you see why we can't just test it on Natasha or something." Tony sighs, thinking he's hit a dead end. I know he really wants to try the serum on himself to help his friend. The numbers are right. It's going to work. I know it is for a fact.
          "I'll try it." Two startled pairs of eyes land on me, and I try not to roll my own. "Oh, come on. Both of you were jumping to try it. Your numbers are right. The formula makes sense. It worked on the mice. And I don't have any extremely specific medical issues like you two."
         "Eliza, I don't know-" Bruce starts, but I shush him.
          "Cut it. Bruce, don't you want to be normal again? This is your chance. I have to!"
          "We don't need another Banner freak," he snaps, rubbing his forehead like he's got a sudden headache. Color rises up his neck slowly. I back up, gripping Tony's wrist. He doesn't react, choosing to keep his gaze on my brother. "The world doesn't need to think the entire family is careless and idiotic. Not like me."
          "I'm doing it and you can't stop me!"
          "Eliza," Tony whispers in a warning tone.
          "Tony, I can handle this. Bruce, I'm doing it for you! I want you to be able to live normally again. I want you to be able to curse at politicians on TV, get so excited that you can't control yourself, and I want to be able to yell at you if I have a reason to!" There. I've finally said it. He stares at the counter, no doubt trying to keep his blood pressure in check. I want to say more, but I switch into my softer, more calming voice. "I'm going to try it. I'm an adult, it's my choice. If you don't think you can handle it, please leave."
          He finally looks up at us, defeat clearly etched across his face. "Are you sure? I don't want you to get hurt."
          "I won't," I say, and I mean it. There's no way this will go wrong. It isn't like his gamma testing: we have three very smart people and a formula that has been checked and checked again "Can I do it now?"
          "If you haven't eaten anything today," Tony responds, already sorting through vials and information. I haven't. "What's your blood type? I need to switch the database, right now it's full of Bruce's stats." I start answering questions for him, blood type, height, weight, allergies, recent medical problems. Everything. He finally completes the questionnaire and tears his eyes away from the screen.
          "Okay kid, we're set if you are." He picks up one of the vials and attaches it to a syringe. Ugh. I've always hated needles.
          "Yeah, I'm ready." I run my finger along a book's edge until I see blood. It stings, but I barely notice. Excitement overcomes all of my other emotions right now, even fear. This is it.
I'm finally helping him.
          "Alright then." He sticks the syringe into my shoulder and presses down. I watch the blue liquid empty into my veins. It feels strange but strong.
          "I think it's working," I say, grinning. Before Tony said it should work within the next few minutes. "Hey, look!" My scratch is practically knitting itself back together. It's like it was never there.
          "That's incredible," Bruce says in a low voice, picking up my hand. "Eliza, thank you." I hear it all in his voice. He's ecstatic. I am too, until a wave of cold rushes over me. I take a deep breath and step back. "Eliza?"
          "I- I'm fine," I stutter, though I'm definitely not. My heartbeat is increasing too fast, I can tell. Black splotches dance across my vision.
          "Steady, kid," Tony says, eyes wide. He puts his hands on my shoulders. "Eyes on me. You need to tell us what's going on."
          "I don't know," I whimper, trying to stay focused, but it's getting harder to breathe. My knees give out, and it's only Tony that keeps me from collapsing on the floor. He lowers me down slowly, then turns away.
          "Bruce, get out of the lab." I don't dare look at my brother, but I know why Tony must be saying it. Not now. Not now. Thankfully, the door slams and I hear fast footsteps down the hallway. I'm shaking like a leaf, but Tony's eyes don't leave me, even as the door shuts and he continues speaking. "JARVIS! I need Romanoff down here now! She needs to find Banner. Tell her to keep him out of the way. Any Avengers would be helpful, tell them we've got a situation in the lab!"
          "Should I alert emergency personnel, Mr. Stark?"
          "No! No, not yet at least. They'll have all our heads." He finishes with JARVIS, then turns his complete attention back to me. "People are coming, kid. Romanoff will take care of Bruce. You're gonna be fine, I promise."
          "I- bet- this didn't happen- to those- damned rats."
          He doesn't answer me, but the ghost of a grin passes across his face. "Listen, I bet you feel like you're gonna pass out any second, but you need to keep your eyes open, hear me? We're going to get through it."
          I never knew it could hurt to nod.
          The doors bang open. From my view laying on the floor, I see Steve, Thor, Clint, and Loki burst through them and run over to us.
         "Tony, what is this?" Steve asks harshly, getting down and moving my head to his lap. It feels better than the cold tile. I blink a little, trying to focus on him. "She's cold as ice!"
          "Something went wrong. We were working on a serum, Nat took Banner out. He can't be here right now." He checks my pulse, barely bothering to pay attention to the others crowding around me. "I need those over there, she's losing consciousness." I have no idea what he needs, but pain sears through my head like I've never felt before. I try to hold it in, but I can't. I scream. If I make it through this, I know what I'll be.
          Another Banner freak.

New chapter! I know that's kind of a cliffhanger, but the next one's coming soon. What do you think???