Chapter 55

Tony stalks off to check out the controls more, leaving me alone as Peter stares out a window. I commit his signature to my memory, so I can recognize it in the future. It's soft and constantly vibrating, like it can't stay still. I don't need to use my magic to tell me he's nervous, so I make my way over to him.

"Doing okay?" I ask him sympathetically. He glances up at me, even though I'm only an inch or so bigger than him, and an inch of that might be my suit.

"I guess," he says in a monotone voice, looking out into space.

"Wow, it really is beautiful out there," I whisper, taking in the stars and nebulas and the infinite black and purple.

"Are you big on views?" He asks, cracking a grin.

"Yeah, actually. Sunsets and sunrises," I say, my smile fading a bit. Loki and I watched the sunset this morning... that seems so long ago.

"I like your suit."

"Thanks. It's new. I didn't use to wear a metal one," I say, remembering all of the avenging I did in my old costume. I don't even know where it is now. Probably in some garbage bin on the Raft. I'm glad Tony thought enough to make the Iron Sol look like Sol, just metal. "That was a long time ago."

"You act like you're old or something. A year isn't really that long, in the scheme of things," Peter points out. "You were one of my favorites!"

"Until?" I ask, a small smile working its way back into my face.

"Still are, I just wasn't supposed to think that. Your powers are amazing!" The boy reminds me of Scott Lang, in a way, considering how much he loves to fangirl.

"Thanks! They're not really powers, though. It's magic," I explain, holding out my hands and letting golden light dance around my fingertips. The light itself is relatively useless, but it's pretty and I can't illustrate my other abilities.

"Wow! How do you even do that?"

"I'm half-Asgardian. It's in my blood. I'm what they call an Empath. My abilities are in healing and emotions. Before I knew all that, though, I was an agent of SHIELD."

"Man, that's so cool," he says earnestly, watching as the light fades from my hands. The ship shakes slightly. "Hey, what's going on?"

"I think we're here," Stephen says, staring as we hurtle closer to a planet. My eyes widen.

"I don't think this rig has a self-park function. Get your hand into this steering gimbal. Close those around it. You understand?" Tony instructs Peter.

"Yep, got it," Peter says, running over to do as he says.

"This was meant for one big guy, so we got to move at the same time. Eliza, get over here and grab hold of something. This isn't going to be a smooth landing." I hold onto part of the ship near Stephen and nod, feeling the tension in the air.

"Okay. Okay. Ready," Peter calls.

"Um, guys?" Both turn to me. "You might want to turn!"

"Turn! Turn! Turn!" Peter screams as part of the ship literally breaks off. Stephen creates a shield around us, taking the brunt of the fall. We crash into the ground, all flying in different directions. I land hard on my side, but I don't think I broke anything. Just more bruises. Once I get back to Earth, Loki can heal them.

"You alright?" Stephen asks, helping me up and looking me over like doctors are trained to do.

"Yeah, I think so," I say.

Tony sighs. "That was close. I owe you one." Peter descends from the ceiling upside-down, like a spider. I would laugh if we weren't in a bad situation.