Chapter 12

When I wake, I hear the bustle of busy footsteps. I don't feel bad, so I sit up. It's some sort of medical ward, with my own room. Just a cot and a table with equipment, and a small window showing off Asgard's night stars. I missed the sunset. The first I've missed in a month, at least. Ugh.

          "Good, you're awake!" says a woman. I didn't even realize there was someone else in here. She moves over to me, smiling. "My name is Lady Eir, and I'm a healer of Asgard, dear."

          "Oh," I say. "Did you- I mean, am I okay? Now?" I don't know how much she knows or how much I can tell her. Is she aware I have powers? Is she aware Odin threw me out?

          "Of course. Prince Loki explained everything. I admit I was surprised when he came in carrying an unconscious girl and demanding that I help. Completely distraught, he was. Your cells were a simple fix, you are completely back to normal, my lady." Back to normal? Does that mean that I don't have powers anymore? Do I even want that? Lady Eir puts a gentle hand on my shoulder, and warm emotions begin to run through my veins. She's content, and so am I. "The princes are waiting for you. Shall I let them in?"

          I nod. "Yes. Thank you, Lady Eir." She leaves to get the door. A minute later, Loki and Thor walk in, both wearing similar expressions of worry. I try not to be amused, but it's sweet.

          "Hi, guys," I say, moving to give them hugs. I embrace Thor first, then Loki. It's the first time I've touched him in days, minus when he picked me up, and it somehow still feels safe. He holds me tightly, likes he's afraid to let me go. I sigh, realizing how much I missed him. I'm sorry, I think, for once hoping he's in my mind.

          "Lady Eliza, you are all right," Thor says gratefully, looking me up and down. Not so much as a bruise from when I fell. "I apologize for my father's behavior, he... does not like mortals."

          "Yeah, I got that," I say. Loki snorts, but his humorous face falls quickly. The brothers exchange glances. Perhaps Loki's saying something to him. Whatever it is, I want to know. I lean against the two of them, and just as I suspected, I can feel their secretiveness. Loki raises his eyebrows, amused by my efforts.

          "At any rate, your magic has not disappeared. I assume you'll be pleased." I gape at him. He just exposed my secret to Thor! "My dear, anyone who has seen your medical records knows."

          "Loki, magic? I thought powers was the correct term." More exchanged glances. "Oh, come on. Stop all this secret stuff."

          Thor clears his throat, unsure of how to begin. "Lady Eliza, you are not completely mortal."

          "What? What are you talking about?"

          "You are half-Asgardian," Loki says gently. I start to protest, but he puts a finger to his mouth, reminding me to listen. Amazing how fast he can shut me up. "However it happened, the gene is in your blood. I must say, it's good that you, not Stark, tried that serum. It would have killed a normal human within minutes. Instead, it seems to have activated the gene of magic in you. Banner's must be similar to yours, but-"

          "No."

          "What do you mean?" Thor asks, confused. "He is your brother, why would you not share the same parentage?"

          "I'm adopted. My real parents are dead, too." There they were, the words I always hated saying. People always gave me the look of a kicked puppy when I do. Loki's eyes darken and flick to the ground, confirming my fears. "So you're saying one of my parents was from Asgard?"

          "Yes. We have no way of knowing, considering both of them have passed, but you are of Asgard. That is the only reason you are still welcome, according to my father," says Thor, rolling his eyes. I find myself joining him. As of now, I don't plan on joining an Odin fan club. "He requests that Loki teaches you how to control your magic, and then offers you a home here or back on Midgard."

          "Wait, so Odin officially likes me now?" I find that extremely unlikely.

          "No, of course not. I think you rank somewhere between disappointment me and Dark Elves." Loki chuckles. "It's interesting, to not be hated the most. I'm not used to it." I ignore his sarcasm.

          "Wow. I mean, this is all so much," I say, looking at both of them with concern. "What about Bruce? What if he needs me? And SHIELD? And my friends, and the Avengers-"

          "Slow down, Eliza," Loki says, smiling a little. "Always looking out for yourself last." I blushed a little. "First, you should rest. I'll take you to your room-"

          "Loki, I'm tired of resting! That's all I've been doing for days!"

          "Eliza, it's the middle of the night. You're tired, I'm tired, Thor's tired- we all need rest. If you wish, we can start lessons tomorrow, and show you around the palace." I nod, knowing there's no use in arguing with him. "Let's go. Thor, will you be accompanying us?"

          Thor shakes his head. "I have to inform Father that you are well before retiring for the night. Brother, Lady Eliza, good night." He leaves without another word, no doubt ready to crash as soon as he's seen his father.

          I look at Loki. "This is a lot to take in," I mumble, trying not to grow overwhelmed, but it's hard. I woke up human: now I'm half-Asgardian.

          "It will all be alright," he murmurs soothingly, leading me out of the wing and into the dark hallway. Despite being a criminal, each guard still bows to him as we pass. "It might be hard right now, but remember that it will be alright. You, my dear, have finally found your way home."

          "What about you? Have you found home yet?" There were a lot of things I want to know about the second prince. Is he happy to be back here?

          "I think I'm still searching," he admits softly, glancing at our surroundings. "I lived here for thousands of years but I'm not prepared to claim a place yet."

          "Me either." We walk further in silence before I break it. "Loki, I want to apologize, about the other day in your room-"

          "There is no need," he says quickly, trying to evade the topic.

          "But there is. I scared you. What- what happened?" He avoids my gaze, nodding to a door instead.

          "Here's your room. I'll come for you early tomorrow."

          I don't want to leave this conversation unfinished. I've always been a believer in talking things out, and that is not what he's trying to do. I'm not afraid of him, so I continue arguing. Bruce always said I was good at it. "Loki, I-"

          "No, bed," he says, putting a finger to my lips. I can't tell whether he's concerned about me resting or just wants to stop talking. "We'll discuss that later. Good night, my little sol." Sol? He takes my hand and kisses it before stepping away and moving swiftly down the hall.

          "Good night," I whisper into the silence.

Chapter 12!!!!! She's half-Asgardian, how many of you saw that coming?