Chapter 8: A quick trip to Boney Island

Well, the sun has risen. Another day on this Island has began. I'm actually doing pretty good here.

Nothing bad has happened so far. I think I'm actually starting to like it here. I got up and got ready for today's next challenge.

I joined the rest of the group in a pretty good mood. I waved happily to Courtney. She waved back.

"Bass. Gophers. Today's a true summer camp experience. A canoe trip. You'll be paddling your boats to Boney Island." Chris said trying to sound creepy." When you get there, you must Portage your canoes to the other side of the island. Which is about a two-hour hike through treacherous dense jungle."

"We gotta pour what now?" Geoff asked.

"Portage: It is the carrying of a boat or its cargo between two navigable waters. And yes that is the exact google definition." I said.

Geoff still looked confused.

"We're walking while carrying our boat." I simplified.

"Oh" Geoff said.

"Thank you Aaron." Chris sighed." Now when you arrive on the other end of the island. You'll build a rescue fire that will be judged by me. The first team to paddle home and return their canoes to the beach is the winner of invincibility. Move, move move!" Chris said

We all started leaving but Chris stopped us." Oh, wait. One more thing I should mention. Legend has it. If you take anything off of the island, you'll be cursed forever." Chris said in a tune that was suppose to creep us out.

Okay. This is probably the first time I got slightly scared on this island. Just a little...

"YEAH! A curse island! Woo!" Owen cheered.

"Now get in your canoes and let's have some fun." Chris says

"Yes!" Owen cheers.

We began heading for the canoes.

"Courtney. Be my partner." Bridgette waved at Courtney as she waved back.

I quickly caught up with them.

"Can I tag along?" I asked.

"Of course. Right Bridgette?" Courtney said.

"Yeah, of course. Help us get the boat into the water." Bridgette said as I nodded.

+

We manage to get in the boat. Bridgette took the front, Courtney took the middle and I took the back.

"On your marks, get set, paddle." Chris shot upwards as we all took off.

We began paddling at a steady rate.

"So. Courtney, how has school been for you?" I asked Courtney while paddling.

"Oh. Well I did run for student counsel president. I'd say it went very well. But Tom was so difficult to work with. He was suppose to help me with my audition tape for this show. I tell you It's so hard to find good help these days." Courtney said.

"I see." I nodded happily.

"Oh my gosh, guys!" Bridgette inturupted us." I totally forgot to tell you about something."

"What is it?" I asked.

"So Geoff gave me this 'Gift' recently. Oh my gosh guys, it was so bad. I come back from brushing my teeth and I noticed something bulging out of my cover and when I lifted them, there it was."

Courtney gasped.

"No way." Me and Courtney both said.

"Yes. And it gets worst. Edged into the back that said:' I hope you think of me whenever you drop loose change into this'" Bridgette told us.

Me and Courtney facepalmed and Bridgette did a choking affect.

"Wow. Well. That's just... I'm speechless." I sighed.

"I know. It's that bad." Bridgette nodded.

I suddenly started to notice how foggy it was getting.

"Hey. Are you guys see what I'm seeing?" I asked.

"If you mean fog... then yes." Courtney nodded.

+

We managed to reach Boney  island. We began to wander around. We then found two paths.

"Which way should we go?" DJ asked.

"Left... Definitely left." Courtney said almost dropping the canoe on our heads.

"Okay. Then we'll go left." I said.

"I don't know. I think we should go right." Geoff said.

"The right trail is wider." Bridgette added.

"Okay... then we'll go right." I said.

We began heading down the left trail. I was observing the island and all of It's interesting features.

Suddenly Geoff tripped.

"Ah! My leg. I'm down! I'm down! Oh, it's so unfair! Why did this have to happen now? Why!  WHY!" Geoff says holding his leg.

"Geoff." Bridgette cried going to check on Geoff.

"You've gotta go on without me." Geoff said.

"Okay... try to catch up." I said slowly.

Me and Courtney began walking off but DJ stops us both.

"We're not leaving any man behind. Not on my watch." DJ said, grabbing us both.

They ended up carrying Geoff one of the boats. We finally made it to the shore where we made our canpfire.

Duncan used his lighter to make a fire. He's probably one of our best teamates. Even though he's very immature.

Me and Courtney both looked at the size of the fire and then at each other.

"I don't think this is gonna be big enough." Courtney commented.

"Yeah. It's gonna have to be bigger than this." I added.

DJ tells everyone to go get more wood. Harold(for some odd reason) thought it was a good idea to throw our oars into the fire.

"How are we gonna get home now?" Bridgette asked.

Suddenly Izzy used something to make a big fire. Well. This means a camper from our team is going to be sent home.

"What are we going to do without paddles?" Bridgette asked.

"You can get someone to swim behind the boats and push them. I did that once for this huge, like, sixty foot yacht. The whole crew had to flutter kick for like eight days to get to shore. And Like four of us got eaten by sharks. I didn't. Not me. But it was really insane. Later!" Izzy says.

"That might work." Geoff said.

"We need someone big enough to push all the canoes back. DJ. You're the only one strong enough."  Bridgette said.

"You can't ask him to do that. The dude can't swim." Geoff said.

"Geoff, I know you're friends but DJ's the only chance we got."

"She is right you know." I said

"Yeah. Those skinny arms aren't going to cut it." Courtney said using Harold as an example.

"I'll do it." Geoff said.

"You can't swim with that kind of injury." Bridgette told Geoff." You're horribly disfigured."

"I can do this. I have to." DJ said.

Alright. Maybe we will win.

+

We stacked the canoes. All of us got on while DJ pushed them all. We were all cheering.

Though he may have pushed too fast because we went flying through the air and crashed.

"The bass are the winners!" Chris told us.

We all hopped up and cheered.

Well. That was an easy win...I guess.