Chapter 1

[BACKSTORY Pt. 1 | Past Tense]

"Catch me if you can!" A little you shouted as you ran around the yard. There was no way he could catch you! Dad may be a fireman and decently fast, but you were the quickest in your class and in the school! He. Was. Going. Down.

The grass was soft against your tiny bare feet as you ran. Running and moving around was definitely one of your favorite pastimes. Especially with your dad! You always managed to win in a game of tag. Whether it was your dad, your older brother, or your best friend, you were always the victor. 'Defeat' wasn't in your eight-year-old vocabulary. This game of tag wasn't going to be different from any of the other ones the you won. "Oof!"

Or, so you thought.

You hit the ground with a thud after tripping over the plastic baseball bat left astray in your running area. Dang it! You were so close to winning too. Your father gave you a little poke as you sulked on the ground.

"Appa!" You whined.

He chuckled a bit. "C'mon now, Piggy, I won fair and square." He called you by your nickname he gave you. Piggy. You thought it was because of the pigtails that you always seemed to wear, but it could also be because of your little squishy nose. It didn't necessarily look like a pig's nose, but it was a cute nickname nonetheless that you absolutely adored.

As his angelic laugh filled your small ears, you sat up slowly while rubbing your bruised bottom from the fall. As you sat with him, you found yourself giggling too. The fluffy grass was comfortable to sit on in the moment. You never wanted this moment between you and your father to end. You loved him very dearly and hated it when he'd leave for work. He was a fireman, meaning that he was gone often. You and your mom always worried about him, as his job was very dangerous because of all the fire and suffocating smoke. He was your hero.

As you were lost in your thoughts, the backyard's sliding door was heard opening. Your and your dad's laughs had slowly dissipated and your mouths had formed into small smiles as the two of you turned your heads toward the sound, your small pigtails twirling in the process.

"Alright you goofballs, dinner will be ready in a few minutes, so come on inside for now!" Your mom hollered as she stood at the glass sliding door. Her soft face was crinkled into a large smile as she leaned at the doorway. She had an apron on and a wooden spoon in her hand, it evident that she had been cooking.

"Coming, Eomma!" You said to her as you scrambled up from your spot, leaving your dad in the dust.

"Hey! Wait for me!" Your dad scrambled to get up as well as he lightly jogged after you while chuckling. You laughed as you picked up the pace and ran into the house, clearly energetic and excited to eat already. As you ran into the doorway, your mom stepped to the side quickly before you could ram into her, your little pigtails bouncing as you went.

"Watch where you're going, (Y/N)! Don't get hurt!" She huffed.

"Sorry, Eomma!" You hollered, already halfway to your room.

You felt a bit guilty leaving your dad behind like that. Maybe you should've kept the same pace as him... Oh well! Nothing a little SPARKLE won't fix! They were your favorite girl group. Your best friend, Jae, had told you about them just this year.

You huffed. You couldn't believe that she didn't tell you about them sooner! They were so awesome and pretty and the could sing and dance so well! When you grow up, you are going to be an idol in a group like them! You're going to wear your pigtails and rock them!