Chapter 4

[BEGIN STORY | Present Tense]

Sounds of heavy breathing and shoes squeaking fill the practice room as a certain (H/C)-haired girl dances to no end. Music is heard in the background whilst the brunette boy watches your body moving from one end of the room to another. He sighs at the sight in front of him.

"(N/N)," Hoseok says. You keep dancing, sweat dripping from your face. The boy furrows his brows.

"(Y/N)!" Hoseok shouts. Your pigtails stop swinging around as your movements come to a halt. You sigh as you bring a hand up to your sweaty forehead and shake your head. You forcefully turn your head over to him.

"What?!" You shout angrily.

The boy doesn't flinch at your voice, but his face softens. You suddenly feel guilty for raising your voice at him. You slowly turn your head back to the side and stare at your feet as you mutter a small apology. He only shakes his head at your actions.

"(N/N), you've gotta stop this. There's nothing wrong with working hard, but this is going way too far! Your over-working yourself at this point." He sounds concerned. You surely weren't over-working yourself, right? Ever since your dad passed away, you had been practicing dancing, singing, and rapping nonstop. About a month after your dad died when you were eleven, you asked your mom if she could start taking you to voice lessons, like she had been doing with dance lessons.

She was sleep-deprived and still hadn't finished mourning, so out of frustration and utter confusion from her loss, she agreed blindly without care, only thinking about your deceased father at the moment and not anything else. Your dancing and voice had improved day by day since that happened, but you still felt as if it weren't enough.

You don't feel like arguing with the boy. Frustrated, you bring your fingers up to rub your temples as you sigh. "Alright, whatever. I'll try not to work too hard. I promise."

In a way, you do have to agree with him. You have been over-working yourself lately. But does that fact alone make you want to stop? No. Your dad told you to follow your dreams and work hard at them on the day he died. You are going to keep working and striving to become an idol until you finally reach success.

Hoseok sighs again. He doesn't seem to believe your words. But, alas, he doesn't push it any further.

He huffs before speaking again. "How about we take a break? You've practiced this same damn choreography a million times and you need to relax for a bit."

You remain unconvinced as he speaks to you. He looks over to you and notices your dull expression. "And, if you've rested for an acceptable amount of time, maybe, just maybe we can come back and practice for only a little bit more."

This brings a large grin to your face. You nod your head enthusiastically as your pigtails bobbed with it. After trotting over the spare chair in the room where your towel lay, you pick it up and wipe the sweat off of your face. You turn to him after swinging the towel over your shoulder with a hand on your hip. He looks at you up and down before laughing.

"You might want to take a shower first, though." Your face turns red at this. You give him a small nod. "R-Right," you say.

...

You sat with Hoseok at the small table outside of the restaurant. You had lunch coming as the two of you chat about random things, Hoseok occasionally taking sips of his drink while you drink a (F/D). The air's warm as it was late spring, with flowers blooming all around the two of you.

This place is your favorite restaurant in Gwangju, mostly because of its beautiful scenery outside, where you usually sit with the brunette. Your (H/C) hair is, of course, put up into rather long pigtails as it sways in the occasional breeze that would blow by. There was a silence as the conversation you were just having with Hoseok comes to a halt until he eventually speaks again.