IV.

I couldn't close an eyelid all night thinking about that stranger I caught in the woods...

I've always heard stories about soul mates and how they are found, but never really believed I'll find one someday.

Soul mates were meant to be the equal half of a vampire, the person that completes them. I've seen soul mates drunk in love and never imagined myself being one of them. I'm not capable of love, nor to be loved, even from a soul mate. Our elders found this was the best way for our kind to stay existing since the whole soul mate process would end up in mating to produce more and more vampires.

However, they made discovering your soul mate a bit hard. A vampire male can directly smell his soul mate even if miles apart, whereas a female vampire would only know if too close to her vampire that they have to touch.

And it wouldn't be a normal touch.

Both would feel the spark that would be planted inside of their hearts instantly to capture the other as theirs.

I always found it interesting how one can go lifetimes living his life and just in a second, because of a touch, with a glance, their whole lives would be flipped over and never the same without the person who caused it.

And for some reason, that Davien, I felt a spark spreading all over my body in a second.

"Davien, Davien woods" I said a bit out loud trying to feel how it tastes on my tongue.

I snapped myself out of my thoughts directly not wanting to dwell on that feeling, nor give in for what really happened.

This would probably be over by tomorrow after he'll leave with that wizard.

Now that I think about it, he didn't seem like one of Merlin's wizards. He had a different body sculpture, a different casual attire, and a different vibe. I couldn't quite place what he was.

I discarded those thoughts aside and tried to get back to my sleep knowing I won't be able to see him ever again.
————
But that wasn't the case on breakfast the next morning. I entered the dining room and widened my eyes at the sight of Merlin and all his men sitting on the right side of the tall rectangular table.

I headed towards my usual seat greeting my father and everyone present.

Why did they stay overnight? Didn't they finish what they had been discussing? If Merlin's still here, that means-

"Good morning Princess." My eyes widened as I heard the familiar husky voice come from beside me but didn't dare turn his way nor reply. "Guess you weren't playing around to scare me, were you?" He continued silently so that only I could hear him.

I clenched my fist under the table and took a deep calming breath before continuing my meal.

This can't be happening. My heart is beating so fast. This has never happened before, why is this happening right now?

"Evelyne, are you okay?" My mother shot me a quiet question amidst the conversation going around us.

"Yes mother everything is alright." I gave her the biggest smile I could muster but knew I failed at it. She gave me a caring worried glance before turning to my father upon calling for her.

My mother has always been the calm one in the family. Despite her royal stance, she never held that harsh authority, but rather treat everyone with gentleness.

I dared take a sideways glance at Davien sitting beside me to see him already looking at me chewing his food.

I turned my face towards him and raised an eyebrow. He just kept staring at me as if nothing happened.