XI.

We got back to the castle that evening. The doctor was stricken by the fact that I healed too fast. What can I say, being a vampire has its perks.

"So any conclusions as to what is happening in the woods?" Davien kicks a pebble as we walk around the castle that night.

"Well tomorrow I have a meeting with Merlin. I think we're going to investigate those areas where all the fuss is happening. Who knows what Merlin has for me in stock." I roll my eyes making my detest for Merlin well shown.

"I still don't get why you don't like him?" Davien looks at me as we stop in front of a quiet lake.

"I don't like wizards, they make me feel weird." I say as I look up to the beautiful night sky. The stars look magnificent shining around the moon, swimming in their own world.

"Good thing I'm not one then." I look at Davien and find a playful smirk on his face.

"Definitely, wouldn't want to spend my life with a witch." I let out a big laugh as I nudge him in the elbow.

"You plan on living your whole life with me?" He genuinely asks, no fun whatsoever in his tone.

"I mean, yeah. If fate chose us to be soul mates, then we are bound to get along, no?" I look at him sideways and shrug my shoulders.

I turn my head to find him looking at me in awe, as if he can't believe what just got out of my mouth.

"What... what's wrong? Were you looking for another answer?" I inquire raising on eyebrow to the heavens.

"No it's just, you never cease to shock me princess. My little warrior." He gives me a small sincere smile that barely reaches his eyes.

Everything in me tried pushing me to kiss him, bathe in his scent, mark him as mine and make the whole world know, make him know that no matter what happens, I am his, and he is mine.

But I didn't. The thing is, I don't want that just yet... I don't want to rush things up.

As I was about to say something, I heard my father's voice in my head saying

'Evelyne, any news?'

'No father, not yet, tomorrow we will scavenge some of their traces and find out what is happening.'

'Why this delay? I didn't send you to be back with nothing even after three days.'

'I fell ill this morning. My apologies father. I'll get the work done.'

And by that he disappeared and I was left staring into emptiness.

"What happened? You just suddenly dozed off, are you okay?"

Something in me wanted me to laugh at his concerned face, not out of mockery, but out of surprise. No one was ever this worried about me, not even my father. So I laughed; if he wants to see the real I then I shouldn't keep myself away. Right?

"No, I'm completely fine don't worry, my dad just contacted me. You know, telepathy, a vampire's special. "I let out a small laugh at my own silly joke.

"You know I didn't come from an abandoned land, I know what you creatures are." It was his turn to roll his eyes upwards at my silly comment.

I chuckle lightly as I turn to sit by the riverbank, leaning my head on a tree. Seconds later I sense a movement by my side. Davien sits beside me crossing his legs as he wraps his arm around my shoulder moving my head to rest on his shoulder.

"Jealous princess?" I tease him with his own words as he visibly becomes irritated strengthening his hold on me. "Relax I'm just kidding"

"Well, no I'm not jealous, but that tree is mine and I didn't want you to turn it dark with your vampire skills." He comes back with an even harsher comment and I find myself out of words. "I'm kidding, you're not that bad I guess."