XVII.

It has been seven hours since we left the kingdom and we are about to exit the sinisters' spells' kingdom heading toward the wolf territory.

"Won't they stop us from entering? I mean we don't have permission to enter their territory." I turn to ask Davien as he is focused on the road in front of him.

"Well I have some connections with some pals out there and they got us the approval we need to enter their territory." He gives me a side look with a side smirk and a wink then turns back to the road.

"All my life, I've lived acting not to care about anything, going reckless, not afraid to kill anyone who stands in my way, yet here I am, worried and a little afraid of facing the truth of something that may turn out to be a lie and just a façade to cover up something else. It's all surreal." I bite the corner of my lip and keep looking forward afraid of seeing his reaction.

How ironic, the tough grumpy princess can't handle the reaction of her soul mate upon the truth of her.

"Evelyne, don't worry, it'll all be fine." He places his hand on mine giving me a quick glance and a squeeze to my hand.

"What if there was actually nothing, no gem, no past, just lies scattered here and there? We would've done this trip for nothing."

"Well no, it won't be for nothing, at least we got to have some time together."

My thoughts wander alone in my mind space and multiple questions roam around. Thoughts about my father, my mother, Jace, Dawn, Mavis, even Davien, everything I've ever lived comes to my mind as if I'm on the brink of death.

"You know, I don't usually say that a lot, but I find myself thinking about the day I stopped aging and was stuck in this shape forever, the days that the kingdom was the least of my concerns, when I would spend the nights drunk with Mavis and Dawn. But that all vanished eventually, and here I am." I wonder out loud not being used to this closure between us.

"That sounds fun though, when you become queen you can live the lie that you want. Anything is more interesting than spending your life with witches not being able to cast a spell or change or be put on fire or fly or drink blood. It's okay you'll get through it. And now, you have me, I'll help with whatever you want."

Witches! I remember the conversation I heard on my way to Merlin's office yesterday. Should I tell him about it? I am not sure that they were talking about him so I don't want to give false hopes. But if they were really talking about him then they know his real identity. Is he really the only one like this?

"Hey, you've never really talked to me about your past, your up growing, how was it?" I try getting more information about his past to clear up the picture in my mind.

He gives me a confused look before going on with his story,

"I was a baby when a couple of witches found me in the woods, like I have told you before, and after that, Merlin took me in and took care of me seeing he didn't bare any children. I was the only one in the kingdom completely oblivious to what am I, I sought the help of the witches that found me, but they couldn't help in anything." He gives me a small shrug not glancing at me. "I attended school with the other kids, but would always flee from the wizards' and spells' classes since they made no sense to me."

I stare at him for a while with a soft smile on my lips as I listen to him.

"And we are about to enter the wolf territory, buckle up."

Slowly, the surroundings start getting even greener than they were in the witch territory, the trees getting taller, and even in the darkness I can sense how vibrant this land is. I send my gaze sky high, and this is probably the most beautiful night I have ever seen; the stars shine brightly alongside the luminous moon in the clear dark sky.

"It's so beautiful, isn't it?" I look in Davien's direction to see his reaction, but I was rather surprised with what I saw. "Are you okay Davien?"

I could sense his shoulders tensing as his grip tightens on the steering wheel. His eyebrows knot together at the middle of his forehead and his eyes hold an undefined emotion.

"What is it?" I reach out my hand to touch his shoulder but he doesn't respond. I look in front of us to see if there's something in the way, but I'm surprised with nothing.

Then suddenly he stops and closes his eyes trying to calm down.

"What ha-"I was about to ask but a strong sound cut me off coming from outside and lights shone in all directions.

"Come out of the car right now or we will be forced to take you out by force." Someone comes in front of the car holding a gun in our direction.

I raise one eyebrow upwards as Davien straightens up beside me.

"What happened? What is this?" He exclaims looking at me confused.

I turn to him shocked at his reaction with both my eyebrows raised sky high.

Just before I was able to say something, I hear a gunshot going upwards.

"Well I think you need to contact your friends at the moment." I point out to the men standing outside.

He frowns before wiping his face with his palms and going out of the car.

"Noah, is that you?" Davien calls out obscuring his eyes from the strong light in front of us.

"Davien? Davien my man!" the man, who seems to be Noah, lowers his gun and walks towards us giving Davien a bro hug with a slap on the back. "Been a long time dude, it's good to see you back."

"Ditto man, but you know, got caught up with the old man's issues." A huge smile is plastered on both men's faces as they seem to have met after a long time. I get out of the car to stand beside them both. Davien looks at me with pride and introduces me to his friend,

"Noah, this is princess Evelyne, Evelyne darling, this is Noah, an old good friend of mine and head of the pack's army."

"Not the head of the army yet but about to. Anyway nice to meet you, princess Evelyne." Noah politely bows taking my hand and planting a kiss in it.

I could sense Davien steam beside me and quickly put his arm around me pulling me to his side. The action slightly surprised me but drew a small smile on my face feeling Davien's jealousy come out.

"I informed you previously about wanting to enter your territory, we won't stay for long, just for the night and then we will continue our journey." Davien announces as thee lights turn off.

"Nonsense! You shall stay a day or two then go on, don't you want to meet the Alpha? I'm sure he'll be happy to get to know you. Come on let me show you where you will be staying."

We follow Noah to a small area where several huts circle the area and he leads us into one of them.

"You can stay here as much as you want, we keep these huts for visitors who come every now and then. Don't worry no one will bother you and if you need anything, Davien, you know where to find me." Noah gives us a friendly smile before going out and leaving us alone.

"It's just you and me now huh?" I turn to Davien leaning on a wall with a smirk on my face.

"Yes, and now we go to sleep because it has been one hell of a night." He walks my way trailing me with him to the bedroom leaving our stuff in front of the door.

"Ugh you're no fun." I follow him as he jumps on the floor and closes his eyes opening his arms for me to get in, and so I do. I walk towards the bed and snuggle in with him.

"I love you." And that was the last thing he said before he dozed off. A smile grows on my face and I reach out my hand to caress his cheek as I can feel his breath slowing down and his heart beat steadying.

I close my eyes and close the distance between us putting my head under his, and just as I was about to sleep three words get out of my mouth,

"I love you."