Chapter Eight: Strictly Business

I closely put my ear against the door and listened carefully. My eyes began to widen as I heard everything. Luca's apart of the Mafia?! And a death threat has been sent for me!? The door suddenly opened, and out stepped Cardo. He knew I was listening and he turned to Luca, "Uh Luca?..." 

"What the fuck is it now?" Cardo looked at me and nudged me in. "I think she's heard everything." Luca began swearing under his breath. He walked up to me and leaned closely to my face. "How much have you heard Esme?" I crossed my arms and stepped back, "First of all, personal space asshole. Secondly, everything. You're in the fucking MAFIA and I'm wanted DEAD?! If I knew you were involved in this bullshit, I would've NEVER agreed to the deal. I'm out." I began to walk away and I could hear Luca trying to follow quickly behind me. He grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him still holding onto me. "Whoa, where the fuck are you going? We had a deal." I shook off his grip, "Fuck the deal! I rather be in jail than get involved in your bullshit." I was about to grab the door knob and he stepped in front of the door blocking me from leaving. "Esme listen to me! If you leave, they'll find you and hurt you and everyone you truly care about. So if you want to protect them, don't get them involved." 

Who am I kidding? He's right. If I leave, I'll be putting Katie in danger and Katie is the only family I have. "Fine. What am I suppose to do by the time?" 

"You just stay out of my way and we won't have a problem. I'll have Kelly come baby sit you." I gave him a screw face, "Baby sit? Excuse you, but I'm 23 years old. I could take care of myself." Luca patted my head, "Sure you can sweet heart. Cardo, show our guest where she'll be staying for the next 3 months." Before Cardo showed me my room, a woman with blonde hair passed by and Luca stopped her in her tracks, "Oh Kelly, you're going to be baby sitting Miss Cole for the next 3 months." She raises an eyebrow and crossed her arms, "Are you friggin serious Luca? I'm not baby sitting her. Not unless, you do a little favour for me." She seductively walked towards Luca and started playing with his collar. Luca brushed her off, "Are you fucking disobeying my orders Kelly?" She looked a little scared. "N-no sir." 

"You better not Kelly, so help me god I will fucking shoot you." Kelly rolled her eyes. She looks like a slut. I crossed my arms and tapped my foot, "Really Luca? You expect one of your prostitutes to baby sit me?" I could hear Cardo trying not to laugh in the background and Kelly was simply offended. "Esme I really don't appreciate you disrespecting my staff." 

I shrugged my shoulders, "Don't care Luca. You should've thought of that before you dragged me into your mess. Cardo, show me to my room please." I skipped off and could hear Luca cussing in Italian. He face palmed himself. "This is going to be 3 months of fucking torture with this woman." I followed Cardo up the stairs and down the hall. He pushed opened doors that exposed a beautifully furnished bedroom. "Here's where you'll be staying," he said. Before Cardo left, he turned to me, "You know, he's not all that bad." Confusion fell over my face. "Luca. He's a good person when you get to know him." I rolled my eyes, "Doesn't seem like it." Cardo gave me a smile that tells me not to doubt him. He left, pulling the door behind him. After a long night, all I wanted to do was hop into bed and sleep. 

The next few weeks have been boring and the fourth week was almost over. Cardo had came and laid down some rules that Luca had left him to let me know. I'm free to go wherever I please, but just stay out of his way. Whoopee. What makes it worse is that I have a prostitute that they call Kelly, babysitting me. There was a day where Kelly and I almost ended up killing each other and Luca was about to have the pleasure of killing the both of us. Now he sends Dante or Cardo to deal with Kelly and I.

Luca's POV: 

"It's already been a month and nothing has arose with those bastards?" I slammed my fist down on my desk. "Why don't we just attack them?" Asked Dante. Isabella, Cardo, Dante and Nico were in my office with me. "We can't. I spoke to my father and he says that I shouldn't "start a war" unless they ask for it. He sees no reason for us attacking them unless they attack us." Nico rubs his chin, "Isn't Giovanni stepping down from leader? You'll be taking over soon, right?" I sighed, "Yeah, he expects me to make wise choices and blah, blah."

"And the girl?" asked Cardo. I stressfully rubbed my face with my hands, "My father and my mother like Esme a lot. He wants me to do everything in my power to protect her. Not only do I have to protect her, my father wants us to move the wedding forward. Instead of waiting after 3 months, he wants Esme and I to get married 2 weeks from now." Nico rubs his neck awkwardly, "Shiiit boss, that barely gives you time? What are you going to do? Gio and Alesia expect you to marry this woman." I attended over to a table that had a bottle of scotch with a bucket filled with ice cubes and an empty glass. I dropped a few ice cubes in the glass and poured the scotch, "This isn't a fucking real wedding. Marry her, have the papers signed over to me and divorce her. Strictly business."