Chapter Nineteen: Never Alone

This was it, I was going to die. I could feel my body slowly going limp. I heard a gunshot go off, and the Snake's grip loosened around my neck. I was coughing and holding my neck. The man dropped on his side and I seen that Katie with the gun held in front of her. She shot him. Katie was running toward me when she was struck in the side. Luca shot the Snake that shot Katie. "Katie!" I cried. She collapsed to the ground and I got up and ran towards her body trying not to trip over my wedding dress.

I held her into my arms and tried to put pressure on her wound. Before I knew it, my dress was covered in Katie's blood. I rested her head on my lap. "Please, please, please Kat. Don't leave me!" I cried. She started coughing, "E-sme, yo-you know I won't le-ave you." I tried smiling through the tears, "You better not leave me. What am I going to do without you?" She tried to smile through her pain, "Yo-ur like a li-little sister to m-me. I lov-e you always." I held on to her hand and cried a bit more.

I didn't even realized that most of the Snakes fled because half of their men were already killed by our crew. Luca and the others surrounded us. Katie looked at Luca and took his hand and placed it in mine. "Lu-Luca?" She called to him. "Pro-mise me that y-you'll take care of her. Protect her with y-your life," she continued. Luca and I looked at each other. "Esme? No matter wh-what.. I will alw-ays be with you. You'll n-never be alone." Katie's slowly drifts as her eyes start to close. My eyes widened, "Katie? Kat no, no, no, no." I kept saying that as tears began to fall again. This time Luca and Callie were trying to move me away from Kat's body. "Katie!!!" I screamed. Callie tried to comfort me. I continued crying hysterically, "Katie come back!!" I cried in Callie's arms. I couldn't bare the pain.

The next week was a complete blur. After Katie's funeral Luca's parents and sister left to go back home. I haven't been eating or sleeping. Everyone has tried talking to me and checking on me to make sure I was okay. Not once have I broke my silence. To be honest, I was a complete mess. I became a zombie. Luca came into my room, "Esme? C'mon this has been going on long enough." I looked at Luca finally breaking my silence, "I lost my best friend, my sister and my only family.. can you show me some fucking sympathy?!"

Luca became angry, "Are you fucking serious Esme? Your friend wasn't the only person who got shot! Nico got fucking shot and I lost 4 fucking men on duty! So don't you dare fucking tell me to show YOU sympathy!!" His words cut me like a knife. I couldn't help but break down and cry. Luca felt extremely bad and sighed. "I'm sorry Es. I didn't mean to explode on you like that." He came and put his arms around me. My cries became faint with his comfort.

"Hey, so I actually came here to ask you something.." I wiped my tears as he got my attention, I was a little confused to be honest. "You've always said that Katie is your only family and you never really spoke about your parents. Why?" I knew this would come sooner or later. I was just hoping that it wasn't going to be now. I sighed. "I lied about my parents travelling a lot," I said. Luca raised an eyebrow, "Uh, okay. So where are they exactly?" I looked at Luca with sad eyes. "Have you ever heard about the Murders of Lauren and Victor Rizzo?" Luca gave me a weird look, "Oh yeah, I've read up about it one day. That's just a messed up situation and I can't imagine what the poor 4 year old child went through."

I started having flash backs. "Well, 19 years ago Lauren and Victor decided that it would be a good idea to steal from people. They would steal money, jewelry, anything they could make a quick buck off of. They had a 4-year-old daughter. Now they weren't the best parents, but they gave that 4-year-old the world. One day they stole from a really bad man. Victor and Lauren thought they hit the jackpot, and they would be set for life. What they didn't know was, karma was coming for them..." Luca rubbed his chin, "Oh yeah, in the article the police said they recovered $750,000 worth of jewelry and money." I nodded.

"...One day the bad man tracked Victor and Lauren down. He came into the house and while Victor was trying to save his family, the man stabbed him multiple times. Now Lauren took that 4-year-old child and ran into the room. She hid her daughter in the closet and locked her in. That man came upstairs and did you know that 4-year-old watched that man, kill her mother right in front of her face?"

Luca scratched his head, "I still don't know how this relates to your parents. How do you even know all of this?" I looked at Luca awkwardly. "Oh my god, you're the 4-year-old daughter... Esme Ri-..." I said it the same time as him, "...-Rizzo." Luca was shocked. "Ever since my parents were murdered, I was put into an orphanage because no one knew if my parents had any other family members. All I could remember is being in and out of homes. I was just a complicated child. The day I turned 18, I left home and started my own life. I changed my last name and took care of myself. It was hard yeah, but then I met Katie. She helped me through it. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have survived out there very long."

Luca grabbed me and hugged me tightly. He kissed my forehead, "I made a promise to Katie, that I'll protect you no matter what. You'll never have to be alone..."