Chapter Twenty-Two: The Document

*FLASH BACK TO LAST NIGHT AT THE DOCKS*

"Cardo, have you received any updates on The White Snakes?" Cardo nodded. "Apparently Capo, Rocco was staking out at their hideout the night before. Trisha has taken over The White Snakes and we haven't got no updates on Esme's situation, but it's so much more. You see, Trisha is Pete's mole and also his girlfriend-.." I began cursing under my breath."I slept with that piccola puttana."

Cardo laughed, "Well Capo, one of these days you'd make a mistake along the way and that mistake was sleeping with The White Snake's slut." I pulled out a cigarette and lit it. "I've told you many times, I didn't come here to chit chat about my sex life, Cardo." Cardo smirked and shook his head, "..-Well before Rocco could get anything else, Trisha had two of her men circling the premises and Rocco had to leave."

I finished the last of my cigarette and threw it into the water. "Rocco did good," I said. Cardo looked at me, "Luca, you okay?" I gave Cardo a stern look, "Of course I'm okay, why wouldn't I be?" Cardo and I stayed quiet. "It's Esme, isn't it?" said Cardo, breaking his silence. "What about the girl?" Cardo placed his hand on my shoulder, "It looks like to me you have taken a liking to her."

I looked at Cardo, "My dad is coming tomorrow to sign over the contract." Cardo gave me a confused look, "And isn't that a good thing? What seems to be the problem? Don't tell me you're going to actually let the girl go? You do know that she's probably 85% still wanted?" I looked out at the water from the docks. "That's why I'm going to keep her safe. The money that I'm giving her, she should leave LA and start a new life."

Cardo gave me a concerned look, but didn't question me any longer. "If you think that is what's best Capo then I won't question you any longer. At least keep in contact with her once I'm awhile, just to see how she's doing." I shook my head. "It's better if I don't keep in contact with her at all. That's the only way I can keep her safe."

~~

Waking up the next morning, I felt like shit. My tears stained my pillow and I barely got any sleep. I looked over to the far side of the room and seen that I was already packed and ready to leave this place. There was a knock at the door. I quickly jumped off the bed and ran to open the door, there stood Cardo. "Good morning Esme." I gave him a smile.

"I stopped by to give you this.." Cardo handed me a cheque from Luca. The cheque was written out to me for One Million Dollars. I looked at Cardo confused, "I thought that me and Luca agreed on $500,000 in cash?" Cardo smiled. "Capo made a few changes. He gave you another $500,000 to help you out for a little while, and also he didn't want you to be walking around with a large amount of cash. I guess he didn't want you to get robbed," chuckled Cardo.

Makes sense. "Thank you Cardo.. For everything." Cardo smiled. "I'm going to miss you Esme, you were literally the light in our lives. We needed someone like you around." Those words that Cardo said left my heart extremely heavy. "So you planning to leave LA?" he asked. I nodded. "Then I'll let you finish what you have to do." I smiled and Cardo walked away. I closed the door behind him.

I tried to hold it together and carried on doing last minute things before leaving. About 2 hours later I made my way down the stairs with my luggage. There I seen everyone waiting. I looked closely, but no sign of Luca. "Uh- Where's Luca?" Isabella and Callie looked at each other. Cardo looked at everyone else. "He had some business to take care of, but he does wish you farewell Esme."

I was honestly so hurt that Luca wasn't here. Callie and Isabella hugged me. "We'll miss you so much Es," said Callie. "Remember, me and Callie are just a phone call away," said Isabella. I smiled. I said my goodbyes to everyone. Nico drove me to the airport. The car ride was silent all the way through. "Well, we're here," said Nico. I kissed Nico's cheek, "Thank you Nico." He smiled. I got out of the car, taking my things. I walked into the airport and disappeared into the crowd.

~~

LUCA'S POV:

I was sitting in my office with a glass of Scotch in my hand. It was too painful to watch her leave today. As to why I sent Cardo to hand her the cheque. I threw back the scotch and slammed the glass on the table. Cardo walked in, "Woah Capo, take it easy. It's way too early to be drinking." I scoffed.

"I've never seen you like this Luca. You should've been down stairs to say your goodbyes to her. I could see the sadness in her eyes when you weren't there." I picked up the bottle of Scotch and poured myself another glass. Cardo seen the paperwork on my desk and spotted something. He shuffled the paper around and picked up a document.

"Capo." Cardo showed me the document. Fuck. I forgot to have Esme sign the divorce documents. I rubbed my temples. "Tell Nico to bring her back to sign them," I demanded. "No-can-do Capo. Esme's been long gone." I threw back the other glass of Scotch. "I mean, it doesn't matter Luca. She's gone and she's starting a new life. One, silly document isn't going to change anything."

He was right. Getting a divorce wasn't going to really make a difference . It'll probably just be another headache to deal with, lawyers and all. "Well, back to work. Let me know if you need anything." And with that, Cardo left, closing the door behind him.