Chapter Sixteen: Fragile

I stood beside Luca while he gave orders to his men to clean up the mess around the mansion. I started feeling a bit of pain. Luca noticed, "What's wrong Esme?" I looked at him surprised, "O-oh. It's nothing." He looked behind me and gasped, "Esme, you're bleeding through your shirt! Let me see your back." I didn't hesitate and turned around. He lifted up the back of my shirt and seen that one of my surgery wounds were bleeding. "Fanculo! Gesù Cristo! I told you to hide bella. Isabella tell the nurse that she needs to get here as soon as possible. I'll take Esme upstairs to my room."

I looked around and realized that Trisha wasn't around. Before Luca could walk with me up the mansion stairs, I stopped. "Where's Trisha?" Luca looked at me, "The bitch escaped. I'd like to congratulate you by the way, you did some serious damage to her face, specifically her nose. You put a serious kick there..." I smiled through my pain. "...But apparently Trisha was working for The Snakes. I guess they wanted her to confirm their beliefs of you," he continued. As Luca helped me walked up the stairs and to his room, it wasn't long when the nurse arrived. She cleaned my wound and gave me a shot of antibiotics so my wound doesn't get infected. The nurse left.

"Luca?" I called out to him. "Hmm?" He answered while reading through paperwork. "I thought The White Snakes were suppose to attack your shipments that were coming in the night I got shot?" He stopped and looked up at me, "They were, but I think someone was watching you and plans changed. Isabella and Callie are really fucking slacking. They're suppose to take their jobs seriously!"

"Oh no Luca, please don't scold them. They did exactly what they're suppose to do... They protected Alivia," I said. Luca frowned, "And your life matters too." My heart melted hearing him say that. I gave him a weary smile. He went back to reading his paperwork and my smile slowly faded. I don't know what he's doing to me, but all I know is that I want it to stop. A few days have passed and I decided to stay in my own room instead of Luca's room.

It was a week away from my wedding and Luca decided to let Katie come over whenever and help me plan my little sham wedding along with Callie and Isabella. After a long day of planning, the girls left and I was alone in the room scrolling on my laptop. My surgery wounds healed up pretty quickly thanks to my nurse, Lily. I stared at the wedding dress that I chose. It was hanging near my window. I got up and walked towards the dress, taking it off the little rack it hung from. I admired the beautiful bead work and the way the dress flows with a long train.

I had the idea to try on the dress one more time before the big day arrives. I pulled on the dress with ease and watched myself in the mirror. I ran my hands over the beading and skirt of the dress. I caught myself smiling in the mirror. Suddenly my door opened and in popped Luca. He was about to say something, but his mouth gaped. I turned around and looked surprised, "Oh-uh, Luca! You're not suppose to see a bride in her dress before the big day. It's bad luck." Luca gave me such a warm smile and walked up to me, slowly caressing my cheek. He stared straight into my eyes. We were surrounded by silence.

I could tell he was now focused on my lips because my eyes were still focused on his. He inched closer to my face, but slightly pulled back hesitantly. He tried again going closer and went in. His lips crashed down on mine. It was soft and sweet. My heart was beating faster and faster. We slowly parted and he looked at me, but slowly turned around and walked out the room. I gently touched my lips. What just happened? Why did he do what he did? I sunk to the ground with my dress. "Why would you do this to me Luca, why?" I said to myself. I couldn't get rid of how I felt, but I never understood why I was feeling this way. Now it seems all too clear to me. It's Luca. I'm in love with him.

Luca's POV:

What did I do? I walked back to my room closing the door behind me. She looked absolutely beautiful in that dress. I just don't know why I kissed her. What is she doing to me? Am I becoming soft? I should've never kissed her and she should know that it shouldn't have happened. Everything I touch, I destroy and I don't want to destroy her. Look at the danger she's been through because of me. I had to tell her.

I came out of my room and went to hers. I startled her when I opened the door to her room. I walked in on her and seen that she was on the floor in her dress with her head down and hands in her lap. "O-oh Luca," she said as she quickly wiped away the tears from her eyes. "Listen, I'm sorry for kissing you like that. I shouldn't-..."

"...-It's fine," she said interrupting, taking my hands and holding it in hers. I looked at her and seen the little smile on her face, "It shouldn't have happened." Her smile faded, "Wh-what? I don't understand, I-I thought-..." I gently pulled away my hands from hers, "You thought wrong. This can never work." She looked at me silently. Oh la mia bellezza. I can see her breaking right before my eyes. I wish she understood where I'm coming from.

This isn't easy for me either, I'm just doing what's best for her...