Chapter Twenty-One: What's Best

I woke up and looked at the clock on my night table, it was already 8pm. I also felt a bit of weight around me. It was Luca's arm wrapped around my curvy frame. He was still sound asleep and I watched his chest slowly rised and fall. I needed to go shower. Without waking him, I tried to slowly shuffle out of his embrace. "Signora Salvatore.." I turned around and realized that Luca was awake.

"I'm so sorry Luca, I just wanted to go for a shower," I whispered. "Mind if I join you, bella?" I looked at Luca and seen he had a smirk plastered on his face. I rolled my eyes. "I do, now if you'd excuse me-," I said as I made my way to the bathroom. I turned on the hot water and jumped into the shower. About a half hour later, I got out the shower and stepped into my room where I seen Luca getting dressed. I frowned. "Where are you going?" He looked at me while he put on his shirt, "Cardo needs me down at the docks, so I have to go."

My heart felt heavy. We just finished having sex awhile ago and he's already leaving, but then again, I can't blame him when duty calls. As Luca heads for the door I follow behind him. I looked at him,"I'll see you later?" Luca looked at me and cupped my face. He left without a word. I closed the door behind me feeling confused. I don't understand him? Did he just used me to get what he wanted?

I felt the anger being built inside of me and the tears welding in my eyes. I was so stupid to let him in. I felt like he seen that this was the right time to get inside my head. I was so vulnerable right now.

~~

Luca's POV:

"I'll see you later?" she said. I cupped her face without saying a word before I left. I could see the confusion that had fell over her face, but I couldn't stand around and make small chit chat before leaving. I had to go. My men needed me. I was debating on my way to the garage what vehicle I was going to take. I decided to take my 2019 Jetta. Taking the keys off the key rack, I unlocked the door and hopped in, speeding off heading to the dock.

Pulling up, I stepped out the vehicle and see that my men were hard at work; from receiving shipments, moving around and loading on the trucks. There I met Cardo. "Cardo, qual è il problema? What's the problem?" I asked. "Capo, we seem to be missing 3 cargos." I gritted my teeth, "Fanculo! How did we let this happen?!"

"I don't know Capo, but it seems to me that it's been stolen. Specifically, the shipment that has all our most upgraded AK-47s that the Russian mafia has sent us." I rubbed my temples. Just when I thought I was having a good day. "Cardo, the cargo crates usually has a device to let us know where our shipments location is. Traccia la spedizione, track the shipment."

Cardo nodded.

~~

I sat on my bed, curled up with my knees to my chest. I stared at the clock and seen that it was almost 1am and no sign of Luca. I don't even know why I'm waiting for him. The signs he's shown are all so clear, I'm just dumb enough to think otherwise. I'm holding onto this false hope of him feeling the same way. I need to snap back to reality. As soon as his father signs that contract, I'm no longer needed. I'll take the money he's going to give me and leave. I'll leave LA for good. My eyes slowly began to droop and I fell fast asleep.

The next morning I woke up and brushed my teeth. Making my way downstairs, I passed the dining room and realized that Luca and Gio were in there. I took a closer look and it looked like Gio is holding the contract in his hand. My heart sunk and I felt this heavy pit in my stomach. I backed away from the door and bumped into a little pillar that held a vase. Before I was able to catch the vase, it had already toppled over and hit the ground. I panicked and ran upstairs without being caught.

I ran down the hall and toward the room. I could feel my tears stinging my eyes. Rushing quickly to the closet, I brought out my suitcase, placing it on the bed. I pulled out all my clothes from the closet and stuffed them into my suitcase. I heard a knock at the door and quickly wiped my tears away. "Come in.." Luca popped into my room. "Hey Esme. I know it was you earlier." I looked at Luca, "I don't know what you're talking about Luca."

I continued packing. "So why are you packing, bella?" he asked, as he folded his arms. I knew I couldn't lie now. "Fine, I seen your dad with the contract in his hand." Luca stayed quiet. I looked at Luca, "So did he sign the contract over?" he nodded. I sighed and continued packing.

Luca's POV:

"Mi figlio, here is the contract. Congrats son." Finally my dad handed me over the contract. *CRASH!* My dad and I were startled by the sound, but we both discovered the broken vase on the ground. I walked towards the door and out to the foyer. I looked around and seen no one was anywhere nearby, but one person came to mind, "Esme." I mumbled to myself. Shit.

"Padre, I will catch up with you later. You can see your way out," I said. My dad nodded. I walked up the stairs and made my way down the hall, towards the room that Esme was staying in. I could hear shuffling. I decided to knock. "Come in.." said a small voice. I opened the door. Esme was standing infront of a suitcase, filled with clothing.

I looked at her face and I could tell that she's been crying. Her tears stained her cheeks. "Hey Esme. I know it was you earlier." She looked at me, "I don't know what you're talking about Luca." I watched her as she continued packing. I eyed the suitcase that she has been packing her clothing in. "So why are you packing, bella?" I asked.

She can't lie to me. "Fine, I seen your dad with the contract in his hand," she said as she broke her silence. I knew that was the case. "So did he sign the contract over?" I nodded. I can see the emotion in her face changed. She sighed and continued packing.

I know I promised Katie to keep her safe, but I just can't keep her safe around me. I hope she takes the money I'm giving her, and she leaves LA for good. I need to do what's best and let her leave..