Learning To Love Him 29

*****

*Corey*

I was supposed to be driving, and I was but was putting everyone in danger because my eyes just couldn't stay on the road. I kept glancing into the rear-view mirror at Jayden. He was seated in the back behind Sean and Izabella and he hadn't spoken since before we left the house. His face looked Sullen, his eyes unfocused and dull.

Kaden, Trent and Rita were in the trailer while the rest of us were in the car. Adan sat in the passenger seat beside me while Hayley was beside Jayden in the back with Zeke seated next to her.

I let my eyes flicker to the road to make sure we were still on it before looking back at Jayden. Something was off with him today... No, since he got back from the store yesterday. He had been so quiet.

"Anyone hungry?" Izabella spoke.

"Yeah," Everyone replied except Jayden and me. I was too busy watching him and he seemed to be staring out of his window into nothing as he had been doing for the past two hours of the drive.

Izabella had handed everyone what looked like Twinkies before she looked at Jayden.

"Jay, do want one?" She asked.

When he didn't reply Hayley nudged his arm. "Jayden," She called to him softly.

"Huh?" He looked at her and then Izabella, "Oh – no... Uh... No, thank you." His voice was hoarse and I took note that he hadn't eaten all day. Had barely eaten dinner last night as well, but then his excuse for not eating had been that he had eaten a lot at Bianca's house which I knew was a lie but I let it slide.

"Are you okay?" Izabella asked him.

"Yeah, yeah. Of course. Why... why wouldn't I be?" He faked a smile.

"You –" Izabella began.

"Corey!" My neck almost snapped as my head swung back to face the front as a loud horn blared, my eyes widening as I saw a massive truck coming right at us. I felt Adan shove the steering wheel to make us swerve back into the lane we were supposed to be in before I swung to the side of the road and stepped on the breaks.

The car was silent as I let out a cough of air while my hands gripped the steering wheel tightly in shock. I had not even reacted to driving straight towards that truck...

"You know, Corey... Maybe I should drive." Adan suggested.

"Y-yeah. Great idea," I was actually very relieved, "I'm going to check on the others," I hopped out of the car and proceeded to make my way to the back while waving my hands trying to shake off the shock but I stopped when my eyes fell on Jayden. "Come." I tapped on his window.

He looked at me confused and I repeated what I said before he got out of the car. "What's going on?" He asked once outside.

"You're switching places with Kade, you look like you need sleep," I said.

"I don't," Jayden said.

"Tell that to your face." Sean's mutter immediately earned a light smack on his arm from Izabella. Jayden did look visibly exhausted though.

I chuckled walking away and knocking on the trailer door. It unlocked and opened to reveal a pissed-off looking Trent.

"At least give a warning the next time you decide to drive like you're fucking drunk, Corey." He snapped at me and I laughed although embarrassed.

"Sorry, Man." I said, "Jay's going to sleep for some time, as you can see, he's in desperate need of it," I shoved Jayden into the trailer without warning resulting in him tripping slightly before he turned to glare back at me, I smiled back and he shook his head as the tiniest of smiles tugged at the corner of his mouth. I had never felt more proud of myself.