𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

A HERO AND HIS SIDEKICK !

☀︎

THE TWO GROUPS LEFT HAD STALLED THEIR GOODBYES UNTIL THEY HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO LET GO. Joyce had a grip on Will's arms as she spoke clearly and carefully to him, unsure if it was best she let him go off without her. Passing by them, Alex's eyes shifted to Hopper sitting beside El, holding her hand as he reminded her of how important she was to him, how he needed her safe because he couldn't live without her.

More than ever, Alex had felt like crying. She had loved her mom and there was nothing she wouldn't do for her, but she craved the kind of love that Joyce and Hopper had given their children. Right now, her mom had been clueless about what Alex and Dustin had gotten themselves into. Never questioning why they had disappeared and never asking when they would feel so much pain inside after events like this occurred. Sometimes she wished she could hug her mom and tell her she would safe and protect Dustin at all costs.

Now she had sat alone, watching as the kids had formulated a plan, and Nancy and Jonathan had listened to Murray's careful instructions on how to get into his highly secured home.

When Joyce had held onto Will, she had spotted Alex all alone. Her face had pulled together in concern before she shook it off and flashed Will a smile. Giving him a kiss on the forehead, she wished him all the luck she could to get somewhere safe. When Will had made his way back to his friends, Joyce made her way over, taking a seat beside Alex. She didn't know it, but when she had reached out and held Alex's hand, she had made her heart soar.

"I'm going to stop this," she assured. "Hop and I, we'll close the gate while you get the kids out of here."

"I could come with you guys and help," she had offered. "I know they drugged me, but I still have a good idea of how to get to the gate. I can help out."

"You can help us out by staying safe." The corners of Joyce's lips had curled up as she leaned over and wrapped her arms around Alex. "I need you to stay safe for me. That's how you help."

Alex squeezed her eyes shut, holding onto her as long as she could. This was how she had always imagined it and for this moment to be with Joyce had only made it feel more special. Joyce had always been there for her, she was a second mom in her life. She looked up to her to let her know she would stay safe just for her, it was everything she could have asked for.

Pulling out of her arms, Alex looked over to see Mike approaching carefully. "We should be going," he said quietly. Alex's eyes turned over to Hopper, wanting to say goodbye before he had left, but he was already calling Joyce over as he made his way over to Murray to head out. She had considered calling out a goodbye or even good luck to him, but she decided against it. She would see him again and thank him for risking his life to end this once and for all.