eighteen

"My dad told me that you'll be transferring to Riverdale High", I told Jug the next day when we were in the cafeteria, "I'm coming with you."

"What? No! That's my problem not yours. Southside High won't fit to your plan going to Harvard someday."

"And? My dad is who he is and I am still smart so I'll still be able to go to Harvard", I joked, "Your problems are mine, Juggie. You're my best friend since we were like what? Five? Four? If I'd have to choose one person that I trust the most then it'll be you. Not even my dad, my sister or Betty. It's always been the two of us. Plus, Sweet Pea, Toni and Fangs go there so it can't be too bad."

"Jughead?", Cheryl - oh no, what did she plan now? - stepped to us, "I'm sorry. I had no right to just hit you. As a redemption you'll be getting that. My iconic spider brooch", Jug and I looked at each other weirdly, "If you give it to the pawnshop, you could get some money out of it. It's enough for the burgers and shirts for the next years. I promise you."

She knew that he liked burger that much?

"Cheryl, what's wrong?", I asked her, "As you said we were friends and I'm ready to be your friend again so you can trust us."

"I-"

"Guys, you need to go to your and Betty's locker! It's important, come on!", Kevin hurried to us so Jug and I stood up and followed him, I thought I could talk to Cheryl later.

"What's with our lockers?", I asked Kev.

"Look at it yourself", he pointed to Betty's and I's locker where our article and the blood of an animal stuck writing the words "go to hell, Serpent sluts".

Someone had added dolls of us hanging on gallows.

Many other students stood around us, capturing pictures of that moment.

"Betty, Liz-"

"No, it's okay, Jug. It's just been idiots with spray paint!", Betty replied upset.

"Take her home, Jug", I whispered, "I'll take care of that."

"Yeah, do you even know what a cloth looks like, privileged rich girl with a Serpent daddy?", I heard Reggie laugh in the background, "Suck the dick of your Serpent boyfriend."

"Shut the hell up, Reggie, before I-", Archie tried to step in but I stopped him, Reggie wasn't worth it.

"Let it go, Archie. You're right, Reggie. I've never had to clean something myself but I'm going to do that now."

"You can't let him treat you like that, Liz. That's horrible", Ronnie commiserated.

"It's okay, V. He can talk but only I know the truth. You better look for Betty, it hurts her more. Are you done taking picture?", shouted at the other students around so when they left the place finally, I could start cleaning our locker.

I met Betty and Jug at the White Wyrm a few hours later. Jug had walked her to the bar but didn't want to join us. Betty was excited to get to know Toni but I had lost any interest in doing something fun that day. After Reggie had said that, I realized that he was right. People will never see the real me because they always think of my dad when they hear my name. They'll associate me with rich parents, both being Serpents and taking care of me by doing everything to keep me away from any bad comment. Luckily, Betty and Toni liked each other, they had fun talking about some memories but I wanted to leave early. I knew we were no Serpent Sluts but the longer we stayed here the more uncomfortable I became. I couldn't bare the hate that my family and I've got anymore.

"Elizabeth Malou Specter!"

"Elizabeth Cooper!", Alice and dad shouted unisono, "We've warned you about publishing such an article but now there was blood on your lockers with dolls of you!"

"Why do you always have to do the opposite of what we tell you?!"

"It's eady: We are done with all the lies in this city and especially this family!", I complained looking at dad sadly, "I'd rather have problems but be honest. You should try it."

"We don't want live in fear just like you do, mom", Betty told her, her voice had the same tone as mine.

"We're just worried about our girls not about the truth!"

"Oh, really?", Betty raised her voice which surprised even me, "You pretend that you like Jughead but wouldn't you be happier if we weren't a couple? I thought so. You only act like you like him so Harvey doesn't get offended because he's the only person that you listen to. Question number two: When you invited FP over for dinner, he told us about a fight between you and dad on your homecoming night, what was that about?"

"I don't even know what you're talking about."

"Come on, mom. I saw the fear in your eyes. Were you scared that he reveal something?"

"It's enough!", dad shouted as angry as I've never noticed, "That's none your business. I dare you two to talk to us like that just one more time and you'll regret it."

"Hal had one secret that almost split our whole family", I complained, "But how many secrets do you guys have?"

"I think I'll stay with Sweet Pea for some time. You should do the same with Jug", I told Betty when we were in her room, "We need a break from all of those lies and hate."

"You're right. I don't know how long I can do this", she replied rubbing her eyes tired but turned to Alice and my mom when they came into our room, "Are you coming for the second round?"

"There are secrets that are so painful that you don't even want to hide them from the world but also from yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"During the night of our homecoming.. the fight that FP had seen.. that was the moment when I told your dad that I was pregnant", Alice told Betty while my mom held her in arms to support her, "We had different opinions on how to deal with that. We had a really huge fight. On the next day, I went to the Sisters of Quiet Mercy and five months later your brother was born. The sisters arranged an adoption that no one knew about."

"Alice", I whispered while Betty sat down next to her holding her hand, "We're so sorry."

"I don't regret anything more than that in my whole life. It's been my biggest mistake and I'm so sorry, girls."

"It's okay, mom."