fifty-five

After Darla and that other man had tried to rob our family, the situation was tense. My mom hasn't been here, luckily, but my dad and I have. He had stayed as calm as possible and tried to calm Alice down. Betty was the one who went to get the money. Thanks to her, the Serpents helped us. Jug, Fangs and Pea saved us.

„Actually, I have asked Jughead to thank you from me. But I've decided to do it myself", Alice announced in school on Monday, „Thank you. I appreciate what you've done and I want you to hear directly from me that I won't deny or attack the Southside anymore. That's where I'm from and I should be proud of it. And from now on, I am. And just like my family, I will fight for that."

„See, she's not as bad as you think", I whispered to Sweet Pea who had a smile on his lips just like every other Serpent in the room.

Mitch was killed, the town was filled with sadness and Archie became even more thirsty for revenge. Everyone came to the funeral, the situation was tense.

Archie thought that the real Blackhood was still out there which was realistic to me. Jughead on the other hand started to think of Chic as the killer. I mean he had killed someone but only to save Alice. Chic had at least moved out a few days ago so that had calmed Betty and I down. Betty and Jug, the investigator duo was back to find out more about Chic.

„Some great investigators we are", Jughead stormed through the door of our house, „We should have gone to the Sisters and find out about this weeks ago."

„Find out what, Betty?", Chic asked.

Alice had actually asked him to come for dinner and even Sweet Pea was invited. He would join us in a few minutes. She was feeling herself being back to her roots I guess. I saw her being around FP in the trailer park when I was on my way to Sweet Pea so she seemed to be serious about the Southside speech.

„Why is he here, mom?", Betty hissed at Alice.

That would be interesting.

„Chic went to the sheriff's station and Alice invited him and Sweet Pea for dinner", I replied shrugging my shoulder, „I think that's great."

„Great. Just that he's not Chic."

„Stop the melodrama, Betty."

„He's not him."

„Betty-"

„Shut up, damn fraud!", Jug suddenly shouted pointing his finger to „Chic".

Jug usually never shouted. Especially not in front of Alice. Especially not at her son. Something was weird.

„Jughead and I were at the Sisters of quiet mercy", Betty pulled out a picture, „That's your real son, mom. Not that fraud."

„I.. I.. don't understand."

„I do", „Chic" said mysteriously, „Betty wanted to get rid of me from the beginning. She never wanted a brother."

„You're not my brother!", she yelled at him.

I've never heard her yell like that. I didn't even know she could shout at someone like that.

„What's that picture?", Alice raised her voice, too, „What does that mean?"

„That's what we're trying to find out, Mrs. Cooper", Jughead moved past me to the blonde boy, „The truth."

The next seconds were so fast, I don't know who did what first but Alice screamed out of pain and Chic had a knife in his hand trying to hurt Jug. Betty and I looked for any kitchenware that could help us to stop him until he was unconscious.

The three of us took his body to the basement and chained his hands and legs against a chair. We were doing it fast while making sure that he couldn't escape. Alice had held her hand under water and put a balm on it. Luckily, the cut wasn't deep.

„Ellie? Babe? Is anyone here?", I heard Sweet Pea's voice from the main floor.

„In the basement", I yelled loud enough for him to hear not letting my eyes look at something else than the blonde boy in front of us.

„Why are you he-", he stopped himself when he saw with what we were surrounded, „What the hell happened here?"

„That boy is just a fucking fraud", Jug hissed.

Alice, Jug, Betty and I we were waiting for him to open his eyes again.

„Betty and Jug found out that he's not Charles", he told him with a worried look on my face when Chic moved his body.

„What.. What's going on here? Mom, why are you-"

„Stop it. The jugglery has an end", Betty's voice was firm, her arms crossed, „It's time for some answers."

„Start and tell us your real name", Jug demanded.

„I am Chic. Mom, please, untie me. I'm scared."

„Shut up with that bullshit", I hissed, „You attacked us all including your supposed mom with a knife. Don't you think we know about you playing a game?"

„You must have known him, my brother. When my mom and I asked about Charles Smith in the hostel, they told us to go to your room. Why did you act like you were him?"

„I've never said that I'm Charles Smith. I've said that I'm Chic."

Alice was devastated, it even hurt us to look in her face and know that she suffered, „Where is Charles then? How did you know him?"

„We got to know each other on the streets and moved there. He told me about you, the Coopers and Specters, the perfect family from Riverdale. Who gave him up for adoption, who didn't want him and never looked for him. One day, he knocked on your door, Alice, and you've shut the door in his face and said that you're not interested. You remember it, don't you? He OD'd that evening, an overdose of jingle jangle."

„Keep an eye on him", Betty and I told Jug and Sweet Pea and followed a crying Alice to the living room.

„Alice."

„He's telling the truth. He was my child and I rejected him", she cried hysterically, „He had knocked the door and I had told him to go. It's my fault, Betty. I'm responsible for the death of my son."

„No", Betty whispered.

„I've killed my son."

„Alice! We don't know who that is in the basement or what he wants."

„He wants revenge. He wants revenge. I gave my son away and then he came to me and I rejected him. That's revenge of biblical proportions."

„Mom, the only one who is guilty in here, is him."

„Wait here, girls. Keep an eye on him. I'm coming back", she suddenly said looking like she had a plan.

„What are you doing?", I questioned worried.

„Mom, where are you going? And when dad comes home?"

But she didn't answer, just left the house to go somewhere.