thirty-five

"Are you sure you can do this tomorrow?", Sweet Pea asked me softly when we played pool against each other.

"Man, you're losing if you keep on asking those questions", Fangs moaned from the side.

"Of course. I might be a girl but I know how to drive a car. Jug and I will win this."

"Hello, hello, everybody", I heard a familiar voice coming entering the bar and walking to where we stood, "I've been looking for you, Ellie. I forgot how good it was to be with you but after I've seen you today, I needed to come over."

I knew what he had planned. He wanted to tell everyone that we were dating years ago so they will be angry and I'll be hurt. Then we would lose the race, he'd win and be happy. And I could do nothing about it.

"Get your damn ass out of this bar", Sweet Pea shouted, Serpents were coming closer and cheering him on.

I moved closer to Malachai to whisper in his ear, "Please don't do this. You know what it'll mean for me."

"Sorry, baby", he grinned quietly but then became louder, "I've got an announcement, an interesting one. Especially for you, Sweetie Pie. You all think that this race is about who will lead the school or not but your leaders lie in your faces. They promised me your great bar, the trailer park and my personal favorite is Liz. I'm glad to have my girl back tomorrow."

Before any of us could start a fight, the Ghoulies had left. Sweet Pea's hand was still formed to a fist. Fangs and Toni stood behind him all looking at me. I did what was easiest for me, I ran out of the bar.

"Let's do it!", Tallboy shouted, everyone cheered, Jug and I got ready.

Malachai stood on the other side and even though I hate him for what he did, I had to admit he looked good. Sweet Pea, Toni, Fangs and some other Serpents were here of course. I only saw them but never walked up to them, was too afraid of their reaction. Even Betty, Ronnie and the others from Riverdale High were here to support us.

"What are you doing, Archie?", I yelled at him when I saw that he sat down in the car, "Jug sits with me."

"I'm coming with you."

"No way. Three people are way too many. We're going to be too heavy!"

"I'm not going to stand up and I doubt that you can pull me out of this damn car."

"Damn, Archie. How can you be so stubborn? This is important for us, the Serpents."

"Liz, I believe in you, we will make it", Jug hugged me from the side, "With or without Archie so let's just not start a fight."

"Okay but if we loose because you, I'm going to burn your red hair", I threatened.

"Hey, baby, don't be so mean. I'll see you at my house after the race", Malachai grinned at me.

"I'd rather be taken away by the cops than spent a second with you", I hissed back.

"Liz", Sweet Pea walked over to me before it started, "Take care, I don't want to loose you."

"We're going to win this, I promise."

"We're starting. Drive to the start line", Tallboy instructed us.

"We're driving over the Bridge to the new street and back. Who's here first wins", I said when Malachai and I shook hands as a matter of form.

"I'll wait for you."

I've told my dad about the race but not about the actual prize. He borrowed me an old Mustang, that's the best car he had to offer he said. I was just lucky enough to get a car and one that could keep up with Malachai's. Starting the engine, I focused on the road. I would only have to be faster then them before we arrive at the bridge and then we'd win. I can do this. I've put the pedal to the metal as soon as we started, the rotational frequency was as high as you'd only have it on the highway driving 120 miles per hour or more. The Mustang had an automatic gearbox but I could change gears by myself if I wanted. I thought I'd never say that but luckily I knew Malachai and his cars so he was predictable to me. I knew they'd drive their car against our so I wasn't surprised about it. Nothing could stop me from being focused and winning. For a short moment they were in front of us.

"Liz, the bridge is there",  Archie warned me.

"I knew, we'll make it."

"Only one car can drive there."

So I changed into a lower gear, gained speed.

"Liz, let's stop it!"

"And let them win?!"

"But we can't drive there next to each other!"

"Serpents will join the Ghoulies only over my dead body and I'm for sure not going back to Malachai, Archie!"

"I'm sorry but I'm not going to let you do this."

I didn't know what he meant by that at first but as soon as I felt the car shaking I knew he had stopped us. I was shaking, my whole body was full of anger and I was about to take Archie's head and throw it against the hood. But Jug was the first to let out his anger.

"No, no, no.. Why did you do this?", he shouted at Archie and shook him.

"Trust me, guys. You're going to thank me. We need to go!"

And of course, Tallboy would put the blame on us but Archie told us about his brilliant idea.  But as soon as the Ghoulies would return, they're going to go hunting.

"Hey, Toni. We didn't talk anymore since I ran out of the bar. Did you talk to the boys? Are you guys mad at me?", I asked her on the next day at Southside High.

"Fangs doesn't care about it, I was even more shocked than him. Sweet Pea.. I guess he's disappointed trying to cover that by his anger. You should talk to him."

"What did the other Serpents say about yesterday?"

"Some are angry that you or your friend called the cops, some are impressed that you've challenged the Ghoulies."

"It's been Archie", Jug helped me.

"Yeah, you know that and I do but the other don't."

In that second the police walked by with our teacher.

"Another razzia?"

"Haven't you heard it? They found the sugarman."